How do you feel about transformers who "cheat"

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bathawk, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Bathawk

Bathawk Well-Known Member

hey everyone, was wondering how you all feel about transformers who "cheat" on thier transformations to get a specific look done in thier alt modes

for example

---animated bumblebee has windows on his chest to resemble his G1 counterpart, however the "windows" actulay are under the vehicle with the real windows part of his "backpack" and behind his legs

---Classics Optimus Prime/Nemesis Prime/Ultra Magnus all have a grill on thier lower body, again though the grill is just aesthetics, the real gril is twisted behind so a more streamlined gril can be part of the body

so do you all approve? couldn't care less? should the "parts" be used for the transformation or removed altogether. or is the final product all that really matters?

2. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    IMO if its to make the toy look better its fine with me as long as the faux parts dont show in the vehicle modes as well

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I couldn't care less. MP Prime does the same thing with the two grills.

They're gonna cheat no matter what so why worry you know.

4. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    At least Bumblebee's cheating is show accurate.

5. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I couldn't care less. As long as the toy looks good, I'm a happy camper.

6. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    I perfer they don't, but If it makes them show accurate, then I'm fine with it.

7. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Oh some cheating bothers me, such as Movie Voyager Optimus. But in cases like Classics Prime, Animated Bumblebee, their transformations are so involved, and there's a place for everything along the way, it's fine by me.

Movie Voyager Optimus has a friggin' backpack, 'nuff said.

8. Glitcher

Glitcher Banned

News Credits:
    'Cheating' is only a word I apply to partsformers like G1 Starscream and Omega Surpreme. As long as the transformation is solid, Hasbro can do whatever the hell they like with the detailing. Let me put it this way: would you like a different chest deco for Animated Bumblebee and Classics Prime?

9. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

Nah, I'd say Omega Supreme is a little less so by actually using all of his parts in both modes as opposed to Starscream whose all parts can never be used at once; you'll be stuck with loose parts lying around no matter which mode it's in.

10. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I remember being slightly irked way back when Powermaster Prime came out and his back was the front of his truck but he still had chest windows and grill abs. Optimus does really seem to be the repeat offender for such a transformation cheat. I think it happens mostly with homage figures, like Energon Downshift and his Wheeljack chest or Alternators Tracks' chest evoking their G1 designs where the roof of the car formed their chest on the original version.
    These days I'm not as fussed since it's the norm now with Prime and as long as the end result is good then all is well. :) 

11. oddobot

oddobot carpe diem all diem long

Ebay:
    Meh I don't care one way or the other. As long as the quality is there, and it's a good sturdy figure that's really all that matters isn't it?

12. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    no a bigger cheat is a white prime labeled as "Ultra Magnus".

13. Bathawk

Bathawk Well-Known Member

well a white optimus = ultra magnus IS accurate, I would say the real cheat gogin with that line of thought is paying through the nose to an obsure supplier to get the city commander extras

14. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

Partformers and "image cheats" like Ironhide's back window becoming the chest... I can accept those.

The only cheats I really can't stand are Shellformers and shared Animal parts. Like Thunderblast or most of Beast Wars, where a character is just a figure wadded up inside a folding casing, or when they basically take an animal and stand it up -- the rear legs become the robot legs, the front legs become the robot arms, and a head pops out. WOO BOY. :redface2: 

15. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Don't froget Energon Mirage is a shell former, too. I want him now, though, after seeing the Seaspray custom made from the figure that's totaly badass in every possible way.

16. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Dont care, if the toys awesome I'm happy.

17. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I think it's one of the more disappointing trends in recent years, actually. along with the gimmics, which have seemingly died down with classics and animated.

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    For the most part the ' fake vehicle part cheats' are done to homage previous incarnations of a character and look a certain way that the transformation doesn't support. (Animated Bumblebee, Alternators Tracks, several versions of Optimus Prime). In that context, I don't mind, especially when 'cheating' results in a better looking robot form than using the actual part in place of the 'faked' one would allow.

19. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hmm, I never thought of that as cheats, but as clevaer way to improve robot mode looks. So, no, it doesn't bother me at all :) 

20. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

I hated the RiD Car Brothers for shell-forming. Why? Because when you transformed them, they looked like a shitty, gangly little robot which happened to be holding a few car parts. Eugh, really didn't do it for me,

Other cheats? Animated Leader Megatron. Because there is no way you can be that awesome without cheating.