How do you feel about KFC/X-Transbots?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by MpCollector81, Mar 17, 2017.

?

How do you view KFC/X-Transbots products?

Poll closed Mar 17, 2018.
  1. Mostly positive! Great designs and QC

63 vote(s)
    26.3%
  2. Somewhat positive! Good designs and QC

99 vote(s)
    41.3%
  3. Somewhat negative! Poor designs and QC

45 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Mostly negative! Bad design and QC

30 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. Other: Explain below

3 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. MpCollector81

MpCollector81 Banned

So it was long ago established that KFC and X-Transbots are the same company, but I've noticed some varying opinions regarding their products.

I have mixed feelings about them. While I love my Andras, I sometimes feel like I only love him because its the only MP level choice available. Had there been something else, there's a chance I would not own him. I really wanted a Reflector set, but sadly I have little interest in KFC's Opticlones- Fanstoys wins out in every category.

At times, Apollyon seems to be the subject of utter contempt from 3P fans- for all its positives (and there were a few) I had to let mine go. There seems to be a demand to replace KFC's Transistor as well. With their recent Apeface/Snapdragon release under the KFC, I was lefta little- underwhelmed.

So how does everyone else feel about XTB/KFC?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Great design but reluctant to step up game to next level. They can do better but for some reason they won't. Tolerance and soft plastic

• Like Like x 6
  3. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Best looking designs in the TF world!
    I don't have any KFC figured but only because they haven't made characters that I really care about. I wouldn't mind a set of Junkions someday though.

The two XTB figures I have are the best looking figures in my TF collection. 539 is the best when it comes to bot and alt mode asthetics. No one else even comes close, including official. Quality is good, although not their strongest point. About on par with official but XTB seems to have better paint apps.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  4. hypno

hypno Well-Known Member

The poll needs more options and to split the companies.

I feel KFC has made some pretty good strides towards improving and trust their QC for the most part.

I just don't trust XTB's QC though, great designs but I just can't take a chance on a figure breaking in half or pins falling out.

But both companies have made some poor decisions in the past and wouldn't blame anyone for swearing off either of them.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Megatronus27

Megatronus27 Well-Known Member

Not a fan. I was just fiddling w Apollyon 30 mins ago and its a piece of shxt. It looks good from afar, but its not worth owning now that Takara seems to be bringing their A Game.

And stupidly I bought 2! So Im a little butt hurt to be honest. One for altmode and the other will stand as a statue.

Anyway, the look of most KFC/XTrans is good (in both modes). Their Face sculpts are only beaten by Takara (IMO), but the materials are not top shelf, transformations are usually more frustrating than enjoyable, and joints dont seem to hold up over time (which may not be as widespread as Im eluding to). In fairness, their figured have improved substantially. I just easily prefer most other reputable companies (FT,BC,MMC,UT) due to more faith in their products' longevity.

Im happy to be done w them. I may get their upcoming Cliffjumper, but Ill likely just wait for another prominent 3P or Takara. Im also done w 3MP tho -My MP collection is almost complete and Ill be waiting patiently for Takara for nearly all of the vacant spots.

EDIT:
    Here is the list of figures (as I recall) and an estimation (mostly thru reviews/threads) of quality(?) of each figure:

KFC/XTrans

BAD
    Tapes
    Mugen Scope
    Sharks
    Krank
    Apollyon
    Olli V1

DECENT
    Tempest
    Opticlones
    Boost
    Arkose
    Eligos
    Citizen Stack
    Olli V2
    Transister

GOOD
    Andras
    Simba
    Crash Hog

• Like Like x 7
  6. Chrisola

Chrisola Solid crotch ratchet

News Credits:
    KFC is really good now I think...Blaster, Junkions and Victory Leo show them improving their build quality to equal their great designs. Really great figures.

XTB is still struggling a bit in places, Scourge was great, Ollie v2 was ok/meh Eligos was ok...build quality not quite as consistent with KFC.

Appollyon - yeah, not good...but that was a while ago!

Can't comment on any others as I don't own them.

I'm looking forward to their Cliffjumper and Cosmos, and the rumoured Deathsarus.

7. dedguy

dedguy Well-Known Member

I own several more recent XTB/KFC figures (Crash Hog, Eligos, Andras, and whatever their Reflector was called). I also own most of the KFC cassettes. I also own a few FansToys releases (Quakewave, Sovereign, and Sever). I really don't see a huge difference between the two. I only bring up FansToys as they are often considered the gold standard of quality. The main difference I see between KFC/XTB and FansToys is aesthetic not quality.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Devastator21

Devastator21 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    they get better just a company trying for a long time to get better
    if they havent gone out of buisnss by now i dont see them going out soon and i will support them

9. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    their tolerances and qc are their biggest issues, but wow engineering is marvelous. i probably won't PO anything from them again but the stuff i bought second hand (admittedly only two toys) were some of my favorite toys.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Yeah, I think the quality thing is a bit blown out of proportion. I think it's probably true that Keith's company is a little more lax on qc which results in more bad eggs than some other companies but the good ones, which are the majority are fine. I don't have FT figures because they haven't made anything that looks good enough for me to want but comparing to official, my XTB figures are as good or better. Their figures are also generally cheaper than other comparably sized 3P figures.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Qingtianzhu

Qingtianzhu waiguoren

News Credits:
    I like their stuff, I have quite a bit of it. They have great looking designs...

That said, some of those transformations are just not fun and way way too complicated. I've had luck with QC so far, except for that TFCon "Dick Joke" Erector release. XTB/KFC is one of those companies that bums me out (like TW) in that they could be right there up at the top, but keep jamming a stick in their own bike tires.

• Like Like x 2
  12. dedguy

dedguy Well-Known Member

So far the only QC issue I have had was actually on FT Scoria. I use "quality control" to mean actual quality checking on final product. Not design or materials. My FT Scoria had it's middle finger on the left hand assembled backwards. KFC/XTB has some complicated transformations but no more so than the few FansToys figures I have. Quakewave I actually injured myself transforming and Sovereign is pretty complex.

13. robwhit1

robwhit1 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Need more options. XTB and KFC may be very much connected, but they are different enough in my experience. You also have quality and design linked in the choices. This is my biggest issue with these options. Both have always had excellent designs - most figures look fantastic. Problem is the qc is just horrible on many of their figures.

KFC has gotten better - still not Fans Toys/MMC/MakeToys/BC, but better. I am willing to go with the KFC option if it's the only game in town (Junkions, Leo, Blaster). I will go with another company if they are competing (reflector, Magnus)

On the other hand, I pretty much refuse to buy an XTB figure again. I have bought too many floppy, fragile figures from XTB to allow them to take any more of my $$$. Unlike KFC, they really seem to have no desire to improve their quality. This may change over time but I will have to see a string of improved releases before I give them another try.

• Like Like x 2
  14. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    This poll needs a more neutral option. I mean, I've heard the rumors, and the only KFC/XTB toy I have is absolute shit that broke on the first transformation even though I knew it had issues and was super careful (Mugan Scope, if you must know). Companies that suck can get better though... look at TFC, they couldn't make a combiner that could stand up under its own weight as recently as Hades, but their Poseidon is so good that he's not just better than their previous stuff, he's my second favorite combiner period (and I've got 13 3P combiners). I'm open to KFC/XTB improving.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

I can't really answer the poll. The design and QC elements need to be divorced. Also, it's not just QC. The quality of the product itself isn't there in terms of materials, and it's generally a step below other leading 3P companies. I like most of the designs but think the quality isn't there and so wind up passing on most of their offerings.

• Like Like x 5
  16. GR1ML0CK

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I bought Eligos on day one cause it's so gorgeous. Tabs broke, sheared more tabs off, loose ankle rockers, stress marks on the fingers right out of the box, paint rubbing. Dude I transform my figures like I'm disarming a bomb I'm so careful. It look so good that I went out and got a replacement the next day. I threw a fit and swore off Keith. Now I'm drooling over Ditka. It's like a bad relationship with a beautiful woman. 589 needs to work for DX9

• Like Like x 5
  17. GR1ML0CK

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Agreed. Soft plastic and stupid tab areas like wtf

18. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

I am very selective about these companies and I do like KFC's Blaster and their Sky-Byte. I trust the reviews on the junkions and Victory Leo even though I don't have them. For X-Transbot, they look great, but I can't stand the quality and transformations. I have their Windcharger and Wheelie and I would recommend to wait for another company to make them. I guess their Scourge and Cyclonus were better, but with their experience, they should be at the upper tier of third party figures.

19. Johntimus Prime

Johntimus Prime Where's my perfect Legends-scale Ultra Magnus?

News Credits:
    As much as I want Andras and Eligos, Apollyon put me off from XTB. And hearing about Eligos' fragile cockpit hinge and the nightmare of Andras' toe transformation, yeesh.

And even Ollie v2 apparently still sucks chrome bearings, which doesn't inspire confidence.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  20. JPrime

JPrime Michael Bay Assassin

I vote great designs and less than average QC if we have to make an account of all their bots.

It's like seeing the hottest models that can't cook anything more than scrambled eggs.

• Like Like x 3