How do You feel about Gamestop?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by *Deathblade, Oct 26, 2008.

1. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

I don't want to turn this into a anti-gamestop rant, but I am curious about other people's experiences lately at Gamestop. Some of you may work there, so maybe you can offer some insight.

Firstly, I have been going to gamestop for at least 15 or so years...talking back like since the funcoland days. (or did gamestop buy them too :confused:  ) at any rate...l have seen a severe overall customer service decline at these chains. I think its also an area thing, because customer service in this whole area is severely lacking.

I dont ask their opinion on anything game related...because I know "should I buy X or X" is a pretty dumb question to ask someone who doesnt know you personally.

What I am referring to is the problem I have had getting the simplest things done....like say a status check...to see if a preowned game is at another gamestop in the area.

During the recent buy 2 get 1 free sale..I inquired about fable 2, and star ocean for PSP at another store...the person in both cases of course snickered and was like "dude, the is NO way you are going to find THAT preowned..it just came out.." and didnt even bother to look it up...its not like the stores were busy, I was the only one there in both cases. At another store I overheard the guys snickering about someone calling and asking about fable 2 preowned, and didnt bother.

So afterwards I went to the GS website, and looked up star ocean...and lo and behold there it was preowned at a store about 20 miles from my house...the next morning...same thing with fable 2. Yeah I know I can use the website instead, but the website only shows status as of 8:00 AM that morning..and doesn't list update throughout the day to reflect accurate status.

What irritates me is they act like that, yet I have found pretty much ANY popular game preowned within a week. This includes: Dead Space, Silent Hill 5, Fable 2, Saints Row 2, Star Ocean PSP, Wario Shake it, Golden axe BR (didnt buy) star wars JA, and a whole host of others, so it isnt like it doesnt happen. Bottom line, there is always going to be someone that either beat the game quickly, or simply didnt like it. A few of those games I found within two days of release...

Well now, on to the star ocean PSP fiasco...I called and the girl told me they had it preowned, with case and instructions and she said she would put it aside for me. I drive 25 miles there 2 hours later...and told the kid at the register the girl held it for me. The girl had left for the day, and he couldnt find the case and instructions...he then tried to say they didnt have it...I told him the girl just told me it was there and complete..it then went and "looked" through the PSP preowned shelf, and said they didnt have it....by then he was like "oh well, we dont have the case"

The manager came over and I asked him to call the girl and ask her, since I drove 25 miles to pick it up. He claimed he called her, and she didnt answer. Given his whole nonchalant attitude, and the fact he never bothered to look for it..I doubt he called. As I was getting ready to leave I looked at the preowned rack, and on the bottom shelf was THE CASE, in plain view...not only did the kid not bother to look for it, the girl never set it aside...if it wasnt for the B2G1F sale, I woulda left that crap there...I was POed!!!!!

That kinda brings me to my next sorta gripe...it seems gamestop has hired ALOT of women recently, pretty much all of them have like 3+ girls..not that there is any problem with that...but many of them seem to be there to look cute, more than anything else..I remember going into one of the GS, and the girl stood behind the counter pouting because she wasnt getting off on time, as opposed to helping people...wtf? I expect that kinda nonsense at walmart or burger king...but not at a specialty-oriented store like GS.

Also, has there ever been any thought into..maybe deducting 20% if people bring in trade games without case & instructions? Of course the game should be discounted 20% once it hits the sales floor ( a local mom and pop does this) I don't know about you guys, but finding a just released game in one of those GS cases is a deal breaker for me......several of the GSs around here..usually ones at the mall, have more than 70% of their stock in those cases...WTF?

Lastly, this isnt the case at all gamestops...one of the ones I go to is AWESOME..and I do all my preorders, and new purchases there, because the people there are helpful and friendly. Sorry for the long rant, but this has been a LONG time coming. What do you guys think, how have your GS experiences lately been?

2. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

I used to go to GameStop/EB Games for all my gaming preorders and stuff.

But when they started this weird deal where I would ask for a new copy of a game and then they take out a box, and grab the cd from a baggie and try to charge me new/sealed prices, I left. Not going back, cause don't need to. I got Best Buy and I'd rather rack up reward zone points there than support crappy policies at bad stores. My friends had the same gripe. So, no more GS. We upgraded to BB.

3. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Babbages (owned by corporate though) still does everything I need them to do. I give them five dollar, they make sure I get my copy on day 1, end transaction.
    DN

4. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    I haven't been to an EBGames or a Gamestop in months. Probably because I purchase most of my games at Target. If I want something that's pre-owned, I can just go to Video Game and Music Exchange (a locally-owned trading store) within walking distance. The employees there may be assholes, but I don't care, as long as I get what I can.

5. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    I usually make only used purchases here and the occassional old new/discounted purchase. most of the staff I run into isn't terribly knowledgable but most are friendly in my area. It really depends on the store....

6. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    It sucks

7. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't have an issue with my local Gamestop as a store, but I do have a serious issue with the D-Bag who runs it.

He used to be the manager of the EB in the mall and he's a collossal prick to anyone who is interested in games he doesn't like. He'll critique your choice of games and accessories and call you stupid to your face for buying them.

Yeah, I don't really shop there unless it's the only option.

8. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    See, I would love shopping here just for the satisfaction of turning his schtick around on him. It may sound weird but I hate employees only when they're useless. Employees who are total Dicks entertain me endlessly.

9. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I use them for pre-orders and to buy old games. Though it depends on where you go. The closest Gamestop to me sucks major ass. I pre-ordered a game from them a long time ago, and had to cancel because they never got it in and decided not to say anything. I also went there an hour before closing and they closed just for the hell of it, locking the doors and just bs-ing with each other around the cash register.

The one I go to is very friendly, and around the christmas seasons actually have people going down the checkout lines to prepare the games for purchase to make it easier.

Only things I hate about all Gamestops are:

1.) The trade-in values are totally unfair. I get 10 bucks for a game your gonna sell for 20? 15 for 30? Yeah.....f**k you.

2.) The used prices are also outrageous sometimes. A game that's been out for over a year is still priced at 40 bucks used? Unless it's a popular game, I don't see why I have to pay a new game price for a year old game.

10. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I avoid GS like the plague. They have nothing that I can't find cheaper and easier elsewhere.

11. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Generally I dislike Gamestop the company, but theres an employee at the one down the street that's always been good to me. Theres a guy at another store that gets me games that the other stores won't (MGS3 Sub LE, Gears LE and LBP) so I'll always vist them.

I'll spend my money on new stuff there, its not helping the companies profits much but it helps the guys who have been good to me. If I buy anything used its at a local chain of stores called Disc Replay. They're good with their trade in credit and sell the newer releases for $40 instead of gamestop's $55. They also stock all manner of systems and games going back to the Atari 2600.

12. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I feel like it's a store I see at malls sometimes. And I feel like there's one in the shopping pavilion up the road.

I don't really had any other feelings about it.

13. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    My brother used to work for them, as did a couple of my friends so I know how crappy they can be to their employees in addition to their "customers." And that's all I'll say about that.

14. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Never had a problem with them in all my years.

15. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

It's a trade off. They can be annoying with new games and pre-order pushes, but yet it's the best place (around here atleast) for buying used games.

16. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

yeah, even though they can reseal it (shrink wrap it), it still sucks...so if that is the case, i just go somewhere else.

i usually go where the deal is...i like CC cause they have the free $10 gift card most of the time.

17. Astrotrain52

Astrotrain52 Former Green Kool-aider

To keep this at short as possible:

My GameStop is THE FAIL. Never going there to trade in games ever again. Only for Guitar Hero World Tour or Rock Band 2 will I even attempt to go in there.

18. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife 01000011 01000101 0101010

i've never had a whole lot of problems with gamestop. mainly prices on used stuff. if i want something used, i will go to a couple stores first b4 going to gamestop. allthough if u look hard enough u wil sometimes find a decent deal on a used game. i had a buddy of mine who's a freak over MegaMan games, and he found the origional MegaMan (origional nintendo) for like $3.

19. Sideways

Sideways Banned

i go to Best Buy and Microplay.It's similar to Gamestop.but the people there are like uber-gamers..

20. Master Zarak

Master Zarak Emperor of Destruction

Ebay:
    I too stopped going to Gamestop and EB games stores, because the staff are rude, snot-nosed little s--ts that think they're superior to their customers. I'm not trying to paint every store like that, but it seems whenever I'm in one, regardless of location, I get the same snide comments, rudeness, and back-handed chatter after dealing with customers.

Because of that, I just go to other stores like Walmart to get my games. Including new releases. Sure, they come out a couple days later sometimes, but I *ALWAYS* get a copy, even in-demand games that Gamestop asks for you to pre-order 6 months in advance. Besides, they're usually cheaper anyway.