How do you feel about certain generations homage toys that are in the wrong size scal

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by trypticonx, Mar 22, 2012.

1. trypticonx

trypticonx Member

How do you feel about Classics & Generations wrong size scaled toys?

How do you feel about Generations,Classics & RTS wrong size scaled toys?

1- It upsets you sometimes or always

2-Don't care

3- Just lucky & fortunate to get whatever bone hasbro throws my way

Granted I can understand,it's no easy task for Hasbro. to try to figure out which 1980's TF toy go into todays newer size classes & price points. I don't mind if hasbro is off by a size class. creating extremly under sized or over sized TF G-1 homage new molds it what really upsets me.

Sadly when hasbro creates these extremly over sized TF G-1 homage new molds. it's never the TF G-1 character toy that's on my top 10 or top 20 list,like G-1 styled galvatron,G-1 Cyclonus,rodimus prime,etc... most of the time hasbro gives these extremly over sized TF G-1 homage new molds to TF G-1 characters/toy I dis-like like bumblebee,seaspray,powerglide,etc..

Hasbro is clearly not making the most use out of the restricted only legends,basics & deluxe only generations toy line. this seems like the perfect opportunity to release some 1980's TF G-1 combiners as these toys can make due with the limited generations tiny size classes. examples: (1) six basic sized constructicons or six deluxe sized constructicons. (2) Five deluxe sized G-1 predacons. (3) scramble city combiners. similar to energon's toy line, 4 basic sized limbs bots & one deluxe core bot. (4) similar to FOC Bruticus have some scramble city combiner teams be five deluxe sized toys. (5) Six legends sized monster bots that form monstructor (6) Six legends sized Dino force bots that form Dinoking.

I'd rather hasbro create all the 1980's TF toys for generations that actually belong in the restricted generations legends,basics,deluxe size classes. I'm simply not a fan of shrinking down faction leaders or big bots to make them fit into the generations toy line.

I'd rather do without right now & wait. Till generations or another named fan TF toy line is allowed to create high ranking or big bots in the bigger TF toys sizes like voyager,ultra & leader size. or I'd rather see some TF G-1 homages get put into the main TF toy lines like TF Prime,Movie verse & whatever new comes along that isn't generations.

I don't mind wrong size scaled new toys for certain TF characters that receive a few toys a year in various sizes like megatron,optimus,starscream, bumblebee,etc... Because we clearly got these characters in all the sizes & it doesn't matter. because we can pick & chose thru the years & select our desired size class for these characters.

I'm referring to getting wrong size scale TF figures for obsecure characters. tht might not have a 2nd chance to get another toy in the proper size scale like generations deluxe thunderwing. who I felt should have been a voyager or ultra sized TF toy.

Examples of Hasbro's wrong sized homage new mold TF toys are as follows:

1- HFTD voyager sized seaspray. this toy should have been legends or basics size.

2- FOC Generations Shockwave deluxe size,this toy should have been voyager or ultra sized.

3- Generations thunderwing deluxe,this should have been ultra sized.

4- classics 2.0 ultra sized powerglide. this toy should have been legends or basic sized.

5- classics 2.0 ultra sized onslaught. this toy should have been deluxe size.

6-energon deluxe rodimus prime. this toy should have been voyager sized & should have power-linked with other voyagers.

7-classics 2.0 deluxe galvatron. toy should have been ultra sized.

8- classics 2.0 cyclonus,toy should have been voyager or ultra sized.

9- generations deluxe scourge. toy should have been voyager size.

10- Classics 2.0 Ultra sized Silverbolt. this toy should have been deluxe size.

11- all those movie verse oversized supreme,ultimate & leader sized bumblebee toys. this toy characters only deserves the legends,basic or extremly generous deluxe size scale toy.

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

No. 2

I usually throw scale out the window. I judge it more on the toy itself than the character and its respective scale.

3. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    3 - then again homages don't mean much to me.

4. Tracer

Tracer _

News Credits:
    As long as they look decent together as robots I don't care. It can definitely be a deal breaker in most scenarios. The only ones off that list that I have and are okay with is Scourge and Cyclonus.

5. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

What is the point of complaining? These figures, with possibly a few exceptions, are brilliantly engineered.

So they don't match up with their original G1 counterparts, who exactly wants Hasbro to strictly adhere to such a ridiculous size limitation factor?

Legends are great figures, but they are so out of scale it's ridiculous in most cases, even the much beloved and sought after Legends scaled Mini-Bot updates are a tad on the short side when compared to the Scouts and Classics.

Arguing about Scale in a Transformers Toyline is like Arguing with a Waiter that your Cheeseburger only ever comes with Cheddar Cheese and not Swiss or something equally pointless. There is never, ever, ever, going to be a consistent scale with these toys.

I don't want to see them re-hash the same old, same old, it's exciting to find figures in different scales. I have yet to manage to pick up any of the Universe Ultra figures, but I'd much prefer a giant sized Onslaught and Silverbolt as opposed to a rinky dink deluxe. They're vehicle modes look better in scale as Ultra's than they would deluxes. Some of the deluxes could have standed a size upgrade if you ask me. (Galvatron especially, limiting him to a deluxe was a really poor decision and I'm hopeful that a new mold Galvatron might be in the works for 2013 in the Voyager size class.)

Thunderwing is a bit too smallish for his vehicle, but I can let that go because just getting another one isn't very likely. I do wish though that this might lead to Landmine, Roadblock and perhaps even a Bomb-Burst new mold.

All in all, I believe that scale issues only affect the toys when you let them. If you yourself let it consume your enjoyment of a figure to the point where you just hate him entirely, than you're never going to have any real fun with your collection.

Could RtS G2 Prime stand to be a bigger toy? Perhaps. Should he be? I don't know, he's a pretty cleverly engineered little guy for a deluxe, plus if he was bigger he wouldn't match the Classics inspired G2 Megatron update.

Would Hasbro make new combiners? Highly doubtful, although I would like to see some new Predacons, Insecticons, Terrorcons, Dinobots and others with different alt modes than just cars and trucks and planes and tanks. This limiting yourself to only vehicles is hurting the heck out of the variety of the Transformers brand. It's gotten to the point where we're seeing pretty much all the figures we can from Hasbro with a car or truck alt mode and if they don't start really stretching things we're going to be stuck without any new ideas.

A combiner team doesn't need to combine if that's your only reason for not doing it. Oh sure it would be a great bonus, and unless the sales of FoC Bruticus really outshine what you'd expect you're probably not going to see any new deluxe scaled combiners in the near future. But I can live without combining special teams, just give us the rest of the Aerialbots already. It's been far too long since we've seen Air Raid, Fireflight, Skydive and Slingshot.

Or how about some new mold Protectobot love?

I guess really to answer the question, I'd have to go with 2, size/scale issues don't concern me in the slightest. I can still enjoy Universe Galvatron even if he is a pain in the side, would I buy a repaint of that mold? Probably not. Would I like to see a new take on the character upscaled? Sure, but I'm not letting it bother me. In retrospect, had Galvatron been the type of Deluxe that Animated Lockdown was (a cleverly disguised taller robot in a compact form without all those stupid panels everywhere) he'd probably be worlds better. You can get some really great figures and engineering out of deluxes.

6. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    If they are too small then they don't exist to me. eg Thunderwing looks good enough but I will not acknowledge that the character Thunderwind is represented in my collection because he is supposed to be a big bad ass not a 2/3 sized deluxe.

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    So long as it looks good and hits what the character is supposed to represent, I don't care about scale at all.

8. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

I don't care, pretty much.

Honestly, I would have preferred Seaspray as a Legends or Basic because I had a G2 Seaspray I loved and carried around with me. The Voyager is a bit big for that, but it's such a great figure I don't care.

Powerglide I hate, but that's not about size at all. It's just not a very good figure.

And hell, most of the examples mentioned by OP I don't even think are the wrong size. I think Cyclonus and Scourge are fine as Deluxes, and hell, Galvatron could be (just not with that design).

Silverbolt and Onslaught are fine as Ultras. And I don't care about Thunderwing. I am, however, glad that Black Shadow is a Deluxe. Love that guy, and I don't think I'd like him more if he were arbitrarily upsized.

9. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    2 - If I don't like how it will look in my collection I just skip it and move on. Saves me money for when a 3rd party finally gets it right.

10. Jazz342

Jazz342 Well-Known Member

I think powerglide (red version) was an acceptable tribute, but sea spray should have gad more g1 accurate coloring. I like generations onslaught and silverbolt- excellent tributes to g1. Thunderwing looked great, but they could have done better with his transformation ; too simplistic.and his head looks down in alt mode. Bumblebee is fine as a deluxes size, but we don't need a leader size ever. I know it sounds like I'm contradicting myself with powerglide, but he's.a plane and in better scale in larger size. And bumblebee is bumblebee - the fewer different molds, the better. :) 

11. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I have to admit, it's a pet peeve of mine. I really prefer having all my "classics" (drawn from a variety of series) looking size-appropriate on the shelf. This isn't always strictly based on how they looked on the TV show, or the original toys... usually about what "feels right"... or at least what is tolerable.

So even though I'm a hardcore Geewunner in many respects, I've never taken G1 toy scale to be the true measure of Transformers. Even through all the nostalgia, as a kid it bothered me that the Minibots and Constructicons and Scramble City limbs were so small, while guys like Shockwave and Blaster were sooooo huge!

Honestly, with some room for slight variations within each category, I think you could do a pretty good job with a classics line made up of almost exclusively Deluxes and Voyagers.

But I think everybody has a different yardstick for basic scale. Mine is the Deluxe Autobot Car. Therefore all the traditional bot "diaclone" car characters should kind of work together, and everybody else situates themselves around them, size-wise.

For example Classics Optimus Prime... way too small. Igear Faith Leader is my go-to Optimus. He looks so damn good next to the other Autobot cars. :) 

So what do I do when Hasbro releases some obscure homage in a size that totally doesn't work for me? Depends... if I really like the figure, I buy it anyway, and then sort of grumble about it because I have to find a different shelf for them to fit into.

I have a lot of these guys, and they're starting to represent their own scale line... the "Leader as Deluxe" category. So I've got the Classics Seekers in there, pretty much any Deluxe aircraft, Deluxe versions of Optimus and Megatron, WFC Soundwave, Classic Galvatron, Cyclonus, Scourge, Thunderwing and generally anybody else who turns into something fairly huge, but is still just a deluxe.

For my "main line" though, I'm always on the lookout for something that fits... I'm really hoping that someday, we'll get some Voyager-scaled traditional Seekers. Armada got 'em. Cybertron got some. Animated got 'em. The Movie lines got 'em. Prime is getting a Voyager Starscream and Skyhammer... why no Classics versions?

Responding to your examples, here are my takes...

Seaspray is not a very big voyager, and his alt-mode so clearly supposed to be a larger vehicle that I kind of let this one slide. Seaspray was never supposed to be very strong, so this version is a bit bulky for my tastes, but I feel like a minibot version would also seem somehow incongruous with the others, scale-wise.

Totally agree. This guy should be a monster, and instead he goes on my afore-mentioned "undersized leader" shelf. It's unfortunate that the WFC/FOC figures do such a poor job even of scaling with themselves, never mind everything else (Bumblebee and Cliffjumper being obviously too big, and Jazz too most likely).

Ultra is pushing it. Remember, it was only in IDW that Thunderwing was a monster. In the G1 fiction that pushed him to prominence, he was a pretty regular-sized TF. However, I do agree.. this guy should have been at least a Voyager. If I recall correctly, this is one of those figures (like Classics Galvatron) that was originally conceived and partially designed as a larger figure, but was scaled down to Deluxe for marketing reasons.

Legends would have been way too small. A stout Deluxe would have been fine, sitting on that happy medium between being a traditionally smaller bot, and not being a ridiculously undersized jet. But the Classics Ultra class is a total failure. Not only is he monstrous and out of scale with many other Classics, but he's also just a very clumsy design, with his awkward huge torso and tiny little arms and legs. Blah.

Doesn't bother me too much. The Scramble City leaders always deserved to be around the same size as the "Leader" types... so I probably would have liked this guy better as a Voyager, but I can sort of make a case for him being bigger. Same thing for Silverbolt.

I agree... but I hate that figure enough that I don't really care. Though I suppose if he were bigger, somebody could have kitbashed him into a pretty sweet Nova Prime by now.

Definitely. Or Voyager. But even as a deluxe, he's quite puny. :( 

Yup and yup!

No way. Deluxe is way small for these guys. Voyager.

I can't be bothered worrying about the 5 MILLION variations on Movie Bumblebee. We've got him as a Deluxe, and it's good to remember that Movie BB isn't actually a small bot anymore (larger than most of the other 'car' characters like Jazz, Jolt, Sideswipe, etc)... so those "generous" Deluxe figures are actually pretty appropriate. As for the larger ultra/leader sized ones... who cares? They're pretty much stand alone display pieces anyway. I don't buy them, and there are size-appropriate alternatives, so I don't think in this case Movie BB really belongs on the list.

(though it is pretty tragic that BB got all those oversized figures, and we never got a leader-class Blackout!)

Powerglide is a better scale... with WHOM? Megatron and Prime? Grimlock? Jetfire? The Seekers? He actually doesn't really work very well with the rest of the line at all. The whole "he's a jet, he should be bigger" argument doesn't hold water, unless you're putting him on your Masterpiece shelf. He's actually about right next to the MP seekers in terms of scale (F-15's are bigger than A-10's).

Seaspray is a weird one. I realize that he's officially a movie line figure, not a Classic, so he looks more "realistic" and not perfectly G1. However, I don't understand his muted colour scheme. It's not "more realistic". Hovercrafts are actually painted in those bright colours, just like his G1 version, dammit! What's with this dusty teal, off-white and dull bronze deco?? The Japanese release got it right at least.

zmog

12. Warpshard

Warpshard Well-Known Member

No. 4. While I am a scale nut, if it looks good enough in bot mode, I could care less.

13. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Universe Galvatron & Powerglide definitely should've traded size classes. Galvatron deserved better just on the importance of his character. OTOH, Cyclonus, Scourge, and the seekers work at deluxe size since they are the direct counterparts to the Autobot cars. RtS Laser Prime is ok at deluxe size, he just needs a proper G2 Megatron (accurate to the original designs) to counter him. And Windcharger & Rumble/Frenzy work well in scout class.

+-MWG-+

14. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    3. There's no wrong scale, they're just toys.

15. MaxGoof

MaxGoof Preordained Soul

News Credits:
    It usually doesn't bother me when Hasbro releases Transformers that are slightly the wrong size, but there were two instances that really did:

1) Universe Powerglide was way, WAY too freaking huge. It just doesn't match up with any of the media we've ever seen for the character. A deluxe would have worked or maybe even a Voyager, but instead they made him a gigantic Ultra and it just didn't work.

2) Generations Thunderwing was a big disappointment because of the way the character has been portrayed in the comics over the years as an almost unstoppable cataclysmic force of nature. A deluxe figure that's so small it looks like Bumblebee would kick the crap out him just didn't cut it for me.

16. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Eh, most of the time we don't get the liberty with multiple toys of x character. Might as well take any bone HasTak throws our way.

Also, I base my scale on alt modes, so this thread's got me mightily confused.

17. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Yes, let's have Hasbro develop combiners that have individual members sold seperately and the combined mode only works if you have all of them.

Because that worked out SO DAMN WELL the last time it was done in Energon. [/sarcasam]

And you seem to think Hasbro HASN'T been doing that? I mean, many of the exclusive Repaints in those lines (except Prime) have actually been homages to old G1 characters, namely small time micromasters and more gimmick-laden figures such as *masters, and even a few Go-Bots.

You seem to be overlooking the fact there was ever a chance Thunderwing even got a toy. Or, as a better example; his repaint Sky Shadow (Black Shadow). That was a JAPAN ONLY retool of Thunderwing's original toy back in the G1 days, and his only modern appearance was like, one panel from LSoTW in a flashback involving Overlord's defection. Or Straxus, whose original form is so freakin' obscure (IDW Straxus didn't look a whole lot like the original) that his reveal was one hell of a shock to the fandom.

What you're doing is looking a gift horse in the mouth, here.

I for one think Voyager was the way to go, actually. Seaspray is supposed to be the go-to Autobot for aquatic-based missions, but his original toy didn't look anything like a robot built for underwater operations. With the HFTD Voyager, the entire TOY is largely built around his function as a waterbot. The kibble forms tank-like structures on his back, the fan intakes are independently articulated and don't restrict visibility from the head, and he has deployable feet fins. Add in the twin harpoon launchers, a scuba mask for a face, and the fact he's built to interact with scout figures (especially is given partner Breacher, whose design is made to be the best fitting scout into the alt. mode car deck), I honestly fail to see why people think this is a crap figure to use as Seaspray when it is literally everything the original was supposed to be, but better.

As opposed to us getting one at all...?

Yes, let's have another Ultra Silverbolt, because that's how simple the transformation is on Thunderwing.

I know DOTM pretty much did this, because I have the smaller Powerglide.
    Wait, somebody actually dislikes that mold? I thought everybody couldn't get enough of it.

I'm pretty sure everybody just uses Classics Rodimus + FP Rodimus Prime trailer upgrade for Classics Rodimus Prime...

I actually agree with this.

Why? It's fine the way it is. Hell, it's STILL one of the best TF molds in recent years.

But then he'd be out of scale with Cyclonus and Galvy. Plus, it's cheaper to army build with deluxes than voyagers.

But then his Darkwind repaint wouldn't be able to pull off the fan-combination with Botcon Dreadwing, which is exactly what the original toys did.

If the Classics lines don't go above Ultra, or more commonly Voyager, what in the hell makes you think Hasbro would ever be willing to make a Classics Supreme-sized figure in the first place? Excluding Unicron, since he already existed from the Armada line and was a TRU exclusive.

18. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't care for the legends toys like Brawn, Beachcomber, etc. I want them to be bigger. Otherwise I don't care what size they are. Give me an Ultra class Cosmos and I wouldn't mind much. I disagree with most of your list for what's supposed to be what.

19. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Coming from the Beast Era and seeing stuff that I'd kiss a hippo for mainly ending up as some TF exclusive, I wouldn't complain about anything. In my case, I'd take any size, any color, something is better than nothing. I'd take a leader Rattrap and a pink legends Rhinox if Hasbro just made them.

20. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Except that their alt-modes are much bigger, and in the media, they were traditionally depicted as being larger than Autobot cars. I mean, I understand that in a selection of toys at a single price point, they wanted to include a variety of vehicles (land and air) and bad guys and good guys. The marketing makes sense... but in a perfect world, I think they should have been Voyagers.

And toys are never intended to work together and adhere to an internal sense of scale, and children would never find that more satisfying?

Saying they're "just toys" elides a major aspect of the whole appeal of such collections. If each figure were considered a self-contained object, sure... but they're not. They're inevitably part of a larger collection that represents a fictional universe where these characters DO tend to have general size relativity to each other. So in that sense, they are not really "just toys", nor are toys inherently irrelevant to scale considerations.

Also, to address another common response to the scale question, of course scale has always been screwy in Transformers. Yes, G1 was full of scale problems. But what does that say? Is G1 the sole measure for an ideal toy line? Did we not want better as kids(I know I did... scale issues bugged me then too)? Can we not envision what an ideal (or "close to ideal") size-relative collection would look like?

zmog