How Do You Dry Sticky Paint?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Waverider, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I bought Universe Prowl and like other people before me, he has sticky paint. Does anyone have solutions in drying it? It now has some of the paint on my sons hands. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Best thing to do is get a can of clear coat and spray the figure. My Prowl had the sticky paint problem too and one good all-over spray with it in alt mode fixed the problem for me.

3. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Pledge Floor Finisher with Future Shine. Available at Walmart for less than 6 bucks. Brush it on the paint and then let it dry for about 30 minutes to one hour. It has a very nice lemony smell, and will dry very hard, keeping that paint intact. It's what many of the customizers in Radicons use.

4. ExVeeBrawn

ExVeeBrawn Three dollar Nazi

News Credits:
    Yeah, perpetually sticky paint like that is a matter of something going wrong chemically. Whether a reaction to the plastic it's applied to (or any residual mold release agent on the plastic), or a formulation error, there's no way to force tacky paint to cure the rest of the way and sealing it under something that WILL dry/harden is about all you can do.

5. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the suggestions. So what do you think? Should I call Hasbro and ask for a replacement?

6. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    you'll get some random deluxe if you do that

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I used a coat of Future on my Prowl as well as my Generations Blurr recently (as his white paint is very easily chipped and scratched, if not already this way in the package). I bought my bottle as D suggested above, and have been using the same bottle for about 3 years now. The bottle is just now getting halfway depleted. Keep in mind here that I've used Future on nearly 30 or so customs, each one getting at least a coat each, if not more. I'd say one bottle of this stuff for a non-kitbasher would last a couple of lifetimes :lol 

You can check this out for more: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutorials-how-tos/214559-all-you-wanted-know-about-future-finish.html

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Buying a can of clear coat is far far less hassle. And it's something useful to keep in hand for any other possible sticky paint figures in the future. It's good on that silver paint that gets scratched easily too, like on ROTF Ejector, Sideswipe or Sideways.
    If you send the figure back to Hasbro it's very likely you won't get the same one back and will probably just get whatever leftover crap they have kicking about, like a Tuner Mudflap or Chromia.