Fan Art: How do you draw Fembots

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Ace Convoy, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lately I've been experimenting with drawing Fembots yet I don't really think i've been capturing the (I'm having trouble finding the right word) Sleek look

so far this is the closest I've come to good design.

Attached Files:

2. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

i guess how you draw women is how you draw fembots, it's just trying to make them look more mechanical. what aesthetic are you going for? classics? movie?

3. Ace Convoy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually If you've followed my Latest Drawings you'd find that I've been using a mix of Animated and Movie. (been calling them Aceverse)

I'd like to add a mix of classics into my designs to further the originality.

4. eisen

right then, the trick is, to make them overtly female looking is to:

• follow the female proportions of chest size, waist size and hip size, regardless of whether it will have legs or not,
    • it also depends on the color choice and how well you can translate the female-ness (is that even a word?) of it.
    • choice of altmode's important too.

i'll try to post how i'd make a femmebot later in the day to explain it better. :) 

5. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

with cyber-curves and robo-boobs

6. eisen

this. exactly my point condensed. :lol 

anyhow here's something i cooked up as a concept. the curves are there as well as the widened chest and hips, but you keep it mechanical by adding some detail. 'course, the lips help as well. :D 

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Depending how you draw your male characters, you can make your fembots more curvy and your male bots more bulkier/square-ish. So that when you draw both together, it will be obvious which gender they are. Also, giving them something closer to a human female proportions will help. I attached something below that could help out. Its great reference for drawing comic book females, but you could use it as a base/guideline for drawing fembots. :) 

Attached Files:

8. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    I would like to say that not all females /have/ to look a certain, J. Scott Campbell cookie-cutter look to them (*cough* Strika *cough*), but I'm pretty sure that you really want to achieve an overtly sexy look here.

In that regard, the best advice that I can offer you is a technique that I myself like to practice: Just close your eyes, clear your mind, and begin by drawing a human female - /NOT/ a robot.

Draw the human female in whatever pose you wish, and when finished, begin replacing pieces and parts of her with mechanical components, like shoulder and elbow spherical joints, hydraulic knee joints, tubing and cabling for the neck, etc... Continue to do this until you have replaced the human entirely with the robot, adding polygonal armor, flex plating, diodes, and LEDs where desired.

This method should help you achieve a much more feminine design because the figure itself will based on the form of an actual female - and that shape is unmistakable. :) 

- Alty

Attached Files:

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    *assumes Altitron's voice*

"Very well." :) 

10. Ace Convoy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    aaah thanks guys ^^

I will use these for reference

11. Ace Convoy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    been awhile but I've gotten a step closer in drawing fembots Still working on it but I'm almost there

[​IMG]

12. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    Honestly, it's hard to tell that character is supposed to be a femmebot. There are really no tell-tale feminine curves in the figure at all. She's got a bit of a chest there, and a thin waist, but the arms and legs are quite thick in comparison, and the shoulders are wide and blocky. The tires sitting behind the shoulders also trick the eye into seeing an even broader frame.

To get a good sense of how a femmebot should look, I would suggest drawing women as practice. Not /robot/ women, mind you, but just normal, every day human women. There are limitless reference images of any pose or body type you could imagine on the internet - trust me. :D 

Once you're comfortable with that, start adding on armor, like an Amazonian or from a Soriyama painting.

- Alty

13. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I think between Venksta and Alty here, we've gotten some really good advice. If anyone wants to take it upon themselves to expound further, we can create a tutorial resource :) 

14. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I can't really go much deeper than what's already been said, but just reiterate it.

Fembots in general are typically drawn 80% femme, 20% bot. Because you REALLY have to get across that they're female first. So you have to learn how to draw a female figure before you adding in robotic detail.

Taken from my poor, neglected DA account:
    [​IMG]

You really have to get the "female" point across first before going into the stuff that makes them a robot. Narrow shoulder width, thinner torso, narrow waist, larger hips, arms and legs that taper as they go down to the hands and feet, a proportionally larger head (than that of a male figure)...

And then the little things that help distinguish the figure as female like rounder edges (as in, try not to use sharp angles on the body's figure), more prominent eyes and lips, less prominent nose and chin, even skewing proportions a bit to make the legs look longer.

It's a lot of work to just get drawing a female figure right, so practice A LOT. Once you can get that, then drawing a fembot should get a little easier. Study a lot of drawing of women and female characters and look at the things they do to get "female" across.

I'll try to sketch out an Arcee or something today to try and help (and I could honestly use some practice anyway, been too long since I've drawn anything).

15. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The thing I find most people getting hung up on, fembot or normal human female alike is the hip/shoulder width. On a female frame, the hips are almost as wide as the shoulders. Once you figure that one out, the shape of the body becomes distinctly feminine. Then its up to you to figure out the aesthetics and other proportions to determine just how overtly feminine and sexualized the character is supposed to be.

16. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I think you guys are continuing to discuss this topic very well. I'll reiterate that I'd like to create a resource for the tutorials section here :wink: 

17. Ace Convoy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  18. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm Thundercracker fanatic

I've only drawn one and i started with her head and went from there, alot IMO can be told or figured out about a TF by their head/helmet

19. GAUGE

GAUGE In Art, Nothing Is Impossible.

News Credits:
    Thing I don't get is why do female cybertronians need to look all weak, frail, and like they starve themselves half to death.

I don't imagine the female cybertronian warrior arch-type to have sleek and overly scrawny frames., I expect them to be just a built as the male types. I know I know Sunbow were a bunch of sexist stero-typical morons when stuffing those female autobots in the cartoon like they did just to try and get some female viewers in there to make the moms happy. Arcee aka nannybot and all that.

However, IMO the only female tfs that should look like slender sleek scrawny weak and helpless looking, are bots not usually built for combat but built for other tasks. Not all functions a female transformer or heck any tf for that matter, has to be some tough guy warmonger phycho killer. but more for scouting, and less more physically demanding tasks. Someday I sincerely hope to see female transformers handled in a much more broad ranges and body types. Alex Milne and a couple other artists in the bix seem to be trying.

I say this knowing I'm going to get flak but, female cybertronians really shouldn't scream "sex" that's just sadly all our pathetic male minds can comprehend when drawing female robots. stop thinking of human concepts when drawing fembots because chances are, their bodies, and sex appeal is the furthest thing from their minds. Unless you of course are drawing some sort of TF-Slash garbage.

I'm sorry to be on the large tyraid of pointless banter lol.

As for drawing a female Transformer, well it's simple really. "DON'T" Model them after Human Females. Model them from the more Cybertronian Designs, make them as uniquely built as possible. Because lets face it. Primus has never been to earth, Alpha Trion has never been to Earth. and Vector sigma has most certainly never been to earth. so why do female Cybertronians need to be based off of "HUMAN FEMALES"? Base the designs on whatever you truly perceive a Female cybertronian to look like if you were ever to visit Cybertron yourself. :)  I hope I helped in some way.

when I draw Female robots as a whole, I base their bodies upon whatever the alt mode happens to be. so if they turn into a Bulldozer or tank for example. they will be stocky, just like the male tf's and have rounded out edges. If they turn into insects or Beastly type robots, they'll look more feral and barbaric and have the more amazonian or female barbarian look. if she's say a more scientific TF then perhaps her bot mode should look more like a science type (thinner build lab coat etc) and if the TF happens to be say A a speedstser or what most fan artist tend to draw, a flyer, then by all means, a more sleek and curvy frame to reflect what her alt mode is and what her function is.

And heck, you could have transformers that are like the ancients or the original 13, and not give them alt modes at all so you can give them whatever body type you like.

Don't limit yourself. have a shit ton of fun, and don't be afraid to explore and think outside the box with your design choices. just so long as the frame/body reflects what they are and what their primary function is. Prowl = Tactician, Logical thinker, all about rules and laws, so he's a cop car, but not just a cop car, he's got markings like a cop on his frame/body that shows his rank. he's built with a more heroic, and fit frame. stuff like that.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015