How do you decide what to sell?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ILoveDinobot, Mar 18, 2011.

1. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yes I know it's completely different person to person. But for you fellow forum member how do you decide what to sell?

I have so much stuff that just does nothing but sit around and collect dust, that I'm scared to get rid of.

How do you bring yourself to sell off your collection? How do you personally decide on what goes and what stays?

I know for me, my Rodimus/Hot Rod's(unless doubles) and beasties stay.

But there is stuff I have from series I don't even like just sitting in my closet, never looked at that I can't bring myself to sell because they were gifts or might be of "value" eventually.

2. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Easy. Just pick up a figure. Ask yourself, "do I like this chunk of plastic?". If the answer is "yes" then you keep it. If the answer is "no" then you don't.

You may also want to consider how much a figure you're keeping is worth. Would you rather keep the figure or trade it in for cash that could possibly buy new and better stuff you actually want?

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I really only sell or trade doubles. Although if I've got a loose and a boxed one I'd still keep both so I've got one for storage and one loose to fiddle with. I think I'd greatly regret it if I sold something I only had one of to begin with. I've still got every TF I've bought one of going right back to 1984.

4. prawisucia

prawisucia Soldier of Heaven

News Credits:
    I've sold my DOTM voyager Meg yesterday because I don't really like that mold. So yeah, basically I sell the toys that I don't really like.
    My Rodimus toys will stay no matter what, even if (only if) there's one or two Rodimus mold that I don't like, but still, it's Rodimus and I won't sell it.

5. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    That's just one problem I'm having. Like I had bought some re-issues and encore, then the classics come out with the same figure, and it's like "do I need the G1 version, that doesn't even look like the character?" But it's the G1 mold! I don't know if I can get rid of it even though classics is a better, cooler version.

Or how many versions of a certain mold (lambo/seeker) do I need?!

6. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

i go with the ones with the most dust. seriously. i don't dust often when i do the dustiest ones go on sale. lately i've sold quite a lot of them.

i'd keep the G1 figures though even if it collects a lot.

7. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Well looks like you got some thinking to do lol. Don't sweat it too much though. There's nothing wrong with keeping your figures.

8. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

Doubles go first followed by stuff that I purchased for myself that I no longer play with. Gifts are the last thing to go. I will never get rid of my Alternators, Beast Machines or any gifts that my fiance bought me though!

9. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    just keep em, unless you need the money or space now.

10. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I recently sold a dozen or so TFs for the first time ever.

My criteria were:

1. Do I like this toy?
    2. Does it fit with my collection?
    3. Is there a better representation of this character within my collection?

Stuff I would never sell: my G1 toys, MPs, Alternators. I'll sell classics if I find better replacements (e.g. I sold my Classics Starscream and Skywarp because I have Henkei, I'll sell my Energon Downshift as soon as Generations Wheeljack arrives).

11. Da_Last_2_Walk

Da_Last_2_Walk Da King Of Pre Rubs TFW2005 Supporter

I only sell my AFA figures when I upgrade to better ones.

12. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:

In lieu of corny jokes

man, he really is getting SHIFTED DOWN EH?

13. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it's easier to figure out what you should keep. What is your core collection and do you want random figures that don't fit into the overall vision of your collection?

For me Classics, MPs, and Alts stay plus the G1 molds I like. I buy a lot of stuff in lots so I sell or trade the extras.

14. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

Well, for me it was easy.

I looked at over 600 toys and asked myself if I actually got any joy from having them? Do I ever play with them, and transform them? Do I even know their names? For most of the newer stuff the answer was a resounding NO!

I've sold off most of the newer stuff (A, E, C, Movie 1, Beast Machines, Alts). Though, I still have quite a bit of stuff to sell in my sales thread (shameless plug). I have no regrets for selling this stuff off, and the money is paying for a much needed vacation this summer to a warm beach.

I hope that the people who bought my former toys enjoy them.

15. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This.

16. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Honestly the ones really really don't like....

For me it usually if I have doubles, I'm letting go one of them....if I semi like it, I do a pros and cons (crazy right)

Semi likes are tough becuz I either like the bot mode or alt mode...
    And one more thing, you cane NEVER have too many lambo/seekers, best mold period, well next to Prime...

17. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A couple of things I consider before deciding to sell something, in order:

(1) "I shouldn't have bought this in the first place" - Usually includes duplicates, repaints, impulse buys and non-TF figures.
    (2) "I wanted it when I bought it, but the figure turned out to be terrible and I don't want it taking up space on my shelves or in storage"
    (3) "I have a better version of the exact same character"
    (4) "I have three or more copies of this mold" - With the exception of some characters (Seekers, etc) or really good molds, if I have three or more copies of a mold, I sell all but the two I like most.

There are exceptions to the above (mainly for G1 figures). In the past, I've held onto figures that met one of the above criteria because the figure was valuable, but I'm trying to get past that.

18. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

I like to limit myself based on a theme. I'm a huge '86 movie fan, so most of that stuff stays (G1, Classics, etc). I'm also a big Headmaster, Targetmaster, Powermaster, Brainmaster fan too. So I try to keep those type of figures.

I used to be a completist, but I did not have the room for all the TF toys out there. You really have to focus your collection. Especially if you don't have the space or money to keep everything.