How do you decide what to sell?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Cheebs, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I've got too many toys. Way too many. Time to sell.

How do all of you decide what goes and what stays? In a box in a closet it goes, on the shelf it stays? Expensive it goes, cheap it stays? Common it goes, rare it stays? New it goes, old it stays? Boxed it goes, loose it stays?

Or maybe you just pick and choose on a case-by-case basis...

How many toys do you keep? 20? 50? 200?

Anyway, I need to sell. Alot. Advice?

2. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    Heh, I know how you feel. This year, I had to thin the collection out. Too many toys, not enough room. Then add a "why am I buying every tf toy that comes out?" feeling, along with a "I've lost interest in my g1 toys" feeling. I ended up selling 99% of my vintage stuff(kept a few that had nostalgic ties). Everything after that was on a toy by toy basis. I'd look at the item, consider if I had any repaints of it, it's condition, how hard/easy it would be to sell it, and finally, asked myself if I really wanted it, and why. This process seemed to work well for me. Good luck!

3. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Thanks. As someone who's done this, is it better to go item-by-item on ebay to get the most money, or just dump a big lot on the local comic shop (or whoever's buying) at a loss?

4. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I would say keep the rarer or stuff, or give it to me for free.

Also, if you're selling RID Air Attack Primal, hit me up dawg!

5. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Easy.. I never sell anything...

6. Black Omen

Black Omen Well-Known Member

I just keep the one's that I really want. I've decided to only keep seven and sell the rest. I don't have the room anymore and I want to collect other things.

If you're looking for a quick sell then try selling some of the rare figures. Or if you are looking to make a decent amount of money try listing a sizeable list here.

Or you can can email BBTS and see what they will offer you. They do buy collections but keep in mind that you'll get qouted a lower price than retail so they can make a profit on it.

7. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

The way I looked at it for me was I went through ALL of my TFs and basically asked myself would I really miss this if it was gone. Going through that process I realized that the only ones I really cared about were G1 and a few select others. Everything else is now being sold in the junkion. http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=116873

8. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    Depends on the items. :)  If they're bigger priced items, or more in demand, i'd sell them alone. Smaller, cheaper, less interesting things, I put in a lot.

For example, I had a ton of extra Energon deluxes. I put them up on ebay in a lot, got rid of them all at once, and maybe only lost out on a couple bucks. Now, if you had say, and Energon Ultra Magnus, you'd want to sell that seperatly.

I guess generally, if you main motive is profit, selling individually is probably the way to go. If your main motive is just to move the stuff, then selling in large lots. Mine was in the middle, so I did a combination of the two. The main drawback(that I encountered) to selling individually, was at the end, when I was done, I had a lot of little 'common' toys left. Things that weren't worth the time/effort to sell individually. I game most of them away to nephews, and Goodwill.

9. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    me too.

but then again, i dont have a thousand TFs.

10. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    I just sell what I know I won't absolutely miss when it's gone.

11. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Since my collection was never all that huge to begin with, it was easy to just go through case-by-case. I was able to remember pretty much everything i have and the condtion it's in off the top of my head, so that made it even easier. I'm still in the process of selling/trading it all off, but deciding what was going and what was staying was fairly easy for me.

Whatever I liked and played with stayed. If it wasn't really on display or wasn't a figure i particularly 'need' or didn't fit with the vision for my collection going into the future... well, it's either gone or I'm trying to make it gone.

For larger collections, I think you really need to sit down and figure out a 'vision statement' for going into the future. I guess it works for everybody, but seems extremely important for the more big time collectors. Figure out what parts of your collection you really like and would want to expand - what type/style of figure, which particular line, any particular character, etc. Anything that doesn't fit into this get rid of it and/or cross it off your want list. You really, i think, need to set some kind of limit. Keep it as a hobby and as soemthing you enjoy... if you're the type that just buys everything you're likely to get into the compulsive aspect and just nto really have fun with it. It's not like you still can'thave a huge collection with lots of toys just because you limit what you buy... look at, say Elvin before he sold most of it off. Just focused mostly on Primes and Primals and yet his collection was still pretty gigantic, at least to me...

12. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I've never sold anything myself, but if I did, I'd keep the ones that are the most special to me, which are not necessarily the valuable ones. Plus, I guess it depends on why you're selling stuff too; if you need the money, you would probably need to concentrate on selling the stuff that will get you largest return, if you're just thinning stuff out to make space, pick the big items/doubles/lousy condition stuff.

13. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

I recently sold some stuff myself. Back in the 80's I got out of Transformers a little bit after the movie came out-or around 1987 so I got rid of stuff that I had no memories with like Headmasters and Powermasters. Kept everything from 1984-1986 from G1 because those are the characters that I grew up with and have fond memories of. As for Alternators, I'm thinking that I'm just going to keep the ones that "work" in my view as G1 homages like Hound, Jazz etc. and get rid of ones like Shockblast, Deadend etc.(already sold Swerve). I have a few Classics-but I only pick and choose out of the line of the ones I REALLY like. Space became a real issue, so I'm thinning it down to only what can fit in my display case.

14. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    man, iev been thinking about this same exact situation the past year or so...my collection is huge...and while i love having a ton of toys, i just dont have the display space....so most are still just in plastic bins....but i cant decide what to get rid of....dont have a huge amount of g1, i would have to keep EVERY BW toy, as my collection is nearly complete....probably keep all my japanese BW....then...from there on i dont know...but i do keep toying with this, cuz it is just crazy....i may start to work on this over christmas break....

15. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I tried to sell the ugly stuff first.

16. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I can't argue with that logic! Simple, yet effective.

17. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    makes me think of ninja turtles...."you take the ugly one" "no you take the ugly one" "I'll take the ulgy one" "Which ones the ugly one?"

18. DJ Soundwave

DJ Soundwave Action Figure Master

Simple..... I'll never sell any of my TFs for a long time.

19. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

I've been attempting to sell TFs for quite some time. Because I have a small collection, and most of them rarely see the light of day at the moment, it's also easy for me to decide which figures to keep on a case-by-case basis, just like Boo did.

I don't decide to keep certain TFs just because they're "rare" although I have some that I cherish like the Transmetal Claw Jaw. Rarity is in the eye of the collector, and some rare toys just flat-out suck anyway. Energon Rapid Run had that status for a while, and I sold his shiny yellow ass pronto. And he was a freebie. I didn't particularly hate Universe Swerve, but he added nothing of interest to my collection (aside from disappointment in not getting the Cyberjet pack instead). My original, mint and complete Terrorsaur and Rattrap, on the other hand, are figures I got more recently but part of a childhood experience I don't want to forget, so they stay.

I find the simplest and most enjoyable way to sell figures is through the forums. As long as I do a check on feedback, I know I'm safe from being ripped off, and who honestly needs to rip off a cheap Universe figure that badly? Selling here and on Seibs feels more personal, and I often learn a bit about the person and their collection. It's also common for me to throw in extra figures with my orders, usually ones that won't sell as-is, and people really enjoy and respond positively to that. Since most of my unwanted TFs are gone, I'll probably start throwing in Ultraman figures with deals, just to broaden some horizons as very, very few TF collectors are also kaiju collectors.

Since I don't sell on eBay, not counting that one time my account was hacked :lol  , I can only provide advice for selling on forums. First, people definitely respond to high-ticket items. Make sure they're aware of what you have, because the big stuff definitely generates interest, and may help sell smaller stuff. I find it helps if the big item is slightly higher in price, because you can price the less popular stuff lower and encourage a sale. Also, definitely be ready to take losses on some stuff. Breaking even on Energon stuff is nearly impossible unless you have a Galvatron, UM, Treadbolt, Dinobots, or Beachcomber. These are the sorts of things you want to make sure are discounted, packed into a lot, or included in some sort of deal.

20. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I know what you mean, been trying to do the same although not to the same extent. Though I havint really mass purged anything, one of the things I've started doing is to stop buying new toys that I dont want. This includes stuff that even if I do kinda want I still dont buy and really just stick to TFs and toys that I fell I only really want. Rule of thumb if I have to really debate it I dont buy it.

My advice to you is along the same train of thought to stuff you already own. If it's stuff you really like and or want to hold on to, I would hold onto. If its stuff your maybe iffy on or have doubts over, and stuff you really feel you dont want or can live without, sell it.

Ultimately I would go through and first, pick and choose stuff you really like or really think you want to keep, put that aside, and then really judge the rest of your collection on a case by case basis.