How do you decide what to go see at the cinema?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Optimus Sledge, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

If I am interested in seeing the movie (good trailer, word of mouth, reviews, etc.) and I have somebody to go see the movie with me, I will go see the movie in theaters. Otherwise I will wait for the DVD/Bluray.

2. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    My money decides for me.

3. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    I have nothing else to do most of the time so I see ALOT of movies. I usually try to not see comedies in theaters and just wait for DVD but most of the time if a movie interests me a little I'll probably see it. Reviews help me decide whether to wake up early and watch a matinee or see it at night

4. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

Usually..

Concept,Director,Writer, Cast, Trailer, Critics.

So if its as follows

Concept: Ninjas
    Director: Uwe Bowl
    Writer: William Shakespeare

.. I instantly proceed no further on the list based solely on the fact Uwe Boll is connected to it. even if the writer is a master of the English language.

Some movies .. I get all the way to the Critics portion and should stop at it.. like TF2.. Should have stopped at the Critics and not gone to go see it.

5. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Pretty much my entire criteria is based on the trailer. If I really like what I see, then I'm going. If I'm a little ambiguous, I then go to Wikipedia and get a little information.

But if I don't like either, then I'm passing.

But if I get at least 4 different synopses, then I need a little more information. That happened with Up, but it was Pixar, so I was going to see it anyway.

:lolol 

The Dark Knight - Yes

My Sister's Keeper - No

That usually works, but if I know NOTHING about a movie, and the title is pretty dang ambiguous, like Up, District 9, or just 9, I'm resorting to the trailer and Wiki entry.

6. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    Rotten Tomatoes and trailer.

7. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Simple: The Trailers and the Promotional Details that are released for the film. If all looks well enough and amazing to wow me, chances are I'll go see the film, should fate allow it. I rarely, if not at all, listen to the word of mouth or read reviews, as most of it is basically one or more persons opinions and most of the time, such opinions are overragerated or down right "WTF [movie did you see]?"-ish and liable to differ from mine own. If not able to see the movie in the theaters, I'm content with waiting for the DVD release. It makes it easier to form an opinion, given that all the buzz has died down.

Fixed.

8. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

I watch the trailers and TV spots. If it interests me, I go see it.

9. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

Well,you would know,seeing as....Wait a minute,how would you know they were the worst?

10. ginrai

Uhh .. cause he's read about them and therefore knows they are bad?

Yet again.. You don't have to actually WATCH a movie to know its a bad movie. You can Read about a movie, or hear about a Movie from a friend or Co-worker and make up your mind about it based on that. You can see a Trailer, or know the idea behind a movie, all these things go into what you feel about a movie. Or in my case with GIJOE you can know who the Director and Writer's are and know the movie is bad based on previous examples of their work and don't want to see it.

This idea that" You have to see it before you can pass judgment on it " is stupid and is a last gasp effort to discredit people whom you don't agree with. I don't have to actually read Ayn Rand Novels to know I won't like Ayn Rand Novels. The topic of an Essay she wrote was enough to convince me I didn't have the time of day for her, and I've never read one of her books and never intend to.

11. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

This is the stupidest thing I've ever read,allthough I did enjoy the part where you called the Writer's bad. Takes one to know one,I guess?
    Yes,it is possible to have an opinion on a movie without having seen it,but it's impossible to have a credible opinion without seeing it.
    What the hell,one more time for the lulz....
    Yep,still funny.

12. ginrai

You are right, You are still funny.

But only by >< that much.

13. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

Well, to me, it first has to interest me, above all else.
    Generally, I like the spectacle, thats what its about IMO. Action, adventure, sci-fi and fantasy, but my favourite actors and directors also influence my decisions to a degree.

14. Spoon

Spoon Banned

Me and my friends are those massive groups of teenagers.

Well, not literally, but you get the point.

15. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I watch the various trailers, read the plot summaries, read the list of people acting/working on the movie, and from that information decide whether or not it's a movie worth seeing. I never have, and never will trust critics to tell me whether or not I'll like a movie. I'd rather go see a movie, end up not liking it at all, rather than have a critic decide my opinion for me.