How do you deal with Transformers Muggles?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Dncmefrmpelican, Dec 7, 2010.

?

Ever been picked on due to your Transformers?

1. Yes

47 vote(s)
    38.8%
  2. No

73 vote(s)
    60.3%
  3. I dont want to say

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  1. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I'm just glad D&D geeks like me have escaped persecution in this thread so far... :D 

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Hide check... critically failed.

Take 1d4 "NNNNNEEERRRRRRDDDDD!" damage. No Charisma save.

3. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Oh, I know... that was something that bugged me about that movie. Here is this guy who is a "40-year-old virgin", who collects toys, as if the two things are inherently related.

Of course his toy collection "redeems" itself later in the film when he sells the whole thing for lots of money, because he was an anally retentive MISB obsessive compulsive case. Then they become acceptable because they are converted into something of characterless, transitory value (cash) once he finds a girlfriend. I think it's a pretty a pretty distorted portrait of the hobby. If it was meant as an attack on materialism, then I'd give it more credit... the materialist obsession with attaching undue value to hoarding so many superficial THINGS I think is a perfectly fair criticism of the collecting phenomenon. But I don't think the movie looked beyond the obvious "geek" scapegoat to get at anything real.

NNNNNNNERRRRRRRRDS!!! :lol 

What, we were making fun of people who dress like wizards, weren't we? That's what D&D geeks do, right? ;) 

zmog

4. SMOG

:lol  :lol  :lol 

Is there an echo in here??

zmog

5. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Been collecting Transformers since 1984, I could care less what people think of me for it. I have never had to deal with...uh..."muggles" before, but if I did, I wouldn't sweat it at all.

6. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Heh, I never thought of that. Yeah, now that you mention it, it´s kinda of cheap shot on the whole collecting hobby (The 40 year Old Virgin).

7. tomagnus

tomagnus question the answers

I have to agree with this statement. never been picked on about my collection. And when I do talk about it I am proud of it. I worked hard to get it to where it is. Also someone else said that "family can be the biggest critics" this is also true. I'm the youngest of 5 and just one of my sisters will buy me a TF(or a couple) for Xmas every year. Everyone else including my wife refuses to.

8. SMOG

I mean, I liked the movie. It's damn funny. But the simplification of the whole toy collecting thing is a bit weak. But yeah, I get it... it's a movie, and they need to express how much of a geek the guy is, so he works in a big-box electronics store and not only collects toys, but keeps them meticulously sealed away. It's easy, and there it is.

That sucks man... I never ask for toys for Xmas from my family, partially because of a vague taboo (even though everybody knows I collect robots), but also partially because I don't trust them to get the right things anyway. This year I totally cleaned up on comic-book trade paperbacks though, so I guess there's no hiding my geekiness. :) 

zmog

9. Thyme

Thyme Disciple of Yun-Harla

ty, I wasn't sure how to spell it and yes I do ______ them.

10. blurr69

blurr69 First time caller

Ebay:
    Any sources to back that claim ? or just your opinion..?

11. sanbot

sanbot Member

Yesterday at work I wore a TF shirt with Starscream on it. One of my work colleagues asked me in a mocking way, how old was I? I laughed it off realising her inferior way of thinking.

I must ashamedly admit though sometimes I feel a bit embarrased mentioning to my "grown up" friends that I am going transformers shopping. Or I am going to the US and will be buying transformers. But that is only of the most minutes of moments.

12. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    see, thats not really to do with perception of TF but office relationship dynamics. i hold a director title so nobody says shit to me if i feel like wearing my movie optimus or baricade shirt at work. at most 'cool shirt' or 'heeey you like TF'. lower management type tries that they'll prolly get ragged about it.

i.e. muggles will STFU if you outrank em :p 

13. SMOG

Educated guess, mostly.

I suppose if you tried to add up 25 years of Transformers, you might get some kind of cumulative effect that matches or exceeds Harry Potter in terms of it's cultural impact. Maybe.

But in term of the books, the movies, the merch and money, the critical success and broadness of the appeal, I'd say that Harry Potter probably eclipses Transformers... maybe not so much for old timers like me, but even I'll admit that, as overrated as the phenomenon might be, there's still more creative, literary value in Harry Potter books and movies than in 25 years worth of Transformers.

Transformers are great toys with a great idea behind them, carried by 2 decades of tacky marketing and mediocre science-fiction. Adult TF fans have a lot more to be ashamed of than adult Harry Potter fans. :) 

Which is not to create a debate about the relative merits of two, very different, icons of junk culture... just to point out that anyone who follows this site and considers themselves "cooler" than a HP fan, probably needs a wake-up call.

zmog

14. SMOG

I feel I have to point out that only covers what they say to your face, not what they say about your T-shirts and overt nerdiness when you're not around. That is, in addition to all the USUAL ridicule aimed at higher-ups in the workplace. :) 

zmog

15. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    It's all in the way you carry yourself dude. None of my friends or co-workers that know me would dare say that to me. My razor-blade tongue would make them cry when I was through with them and they know it. "I know you're not talking....(something embarrassing that person has done)" does the trick every time.

Bottom line: Don't take that shit from someone, I sure as hell wouldn't.

16. sanbot

sanbot Member

It ain't no thang, went in one ear out the other. I'm confident enough in my own sense of self worth to not care what others think about my choice of clothing. Especially when it comes to transformers.

17. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    same goes to regular bullies. whether its in the office or school there a social stratas. my point is always look out to move on up. you get past bullies by eventually employing their type. why settle for 'ill always be at this level might as well deal with it'? thats losers attitude. everybody has the option to either change their self or better yet their circumstances.

TORANSFUFOMAAAAASSS

18. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

No need to go all Superlink Buildron on us nerdy weaklings.