How Do You Deal with Friends and Your Collections?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Dran0n, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    First, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I wasn't 100% on where to put this. If this is the wrong forum, mods could you move it? Thanks.

I'm asking how do you deal with friends around your collection(s)? Mine tend to look at something, drop it on the floor and move on to something else. This really pisses me off. How do you guys handle friends messing around with your stuff? How do you keep your figures on display all nice and not on the floor after your friends leave? I constantly tell them to put it back when they're done and they never do so.

EDIT: 11/30/09: I showed them this thread. Fix't the problem.

2. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I really don't have much of a problem with my friends. Most of my friends will ask if they can touch one of my Transformers. Usually they'll ask me to finish transforming the figure for them, since most have difficulty with it.

3. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    My friends are careful and rarely mess with them.

Though one of my past friends broke my RiD Prowl because he was handling one of the ball joints too hardly. Was really pissed.

4. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    What the hell?

Wow. My friends are d*cks I guess.

5. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    Sounds about right.

I keep everything (well about 2/3 of my collection anyway) in two massive display cases. People always feel like they have to ask before messing w/ anything since it looks more like a museum than just a bunch of toys.

6. alfred p. sloan

alfred p. sloan Well-Known Member

Word, like Chaos Prime most of my buddies don't treat the toys badly and usually need help transforming them.

Truth is thought they are toys and are meant to be fiddled with. I am a stickler for not losing missles, guns and what-not and I will usually pull the easily lost parts from a toy before handing it out.

7. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    Wow. Wish my friends acted like your friends. Took me half an hour to get it all decent, but just barely decent.

8. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Most of my friends who see my collection generally see it and say "Wow, that's pretty cool!" and leave it at that. They're usually not very interested. If one should ask, though, I don't imagine I'd have any problem letting them fool around with one.

My girlfriend had one of her friends over with her four kids. The two older kids were girls and weren't at all interested, but the two younger boys were VERY interested... I asked them to leave my classics (ie "The ones on the top shelf and on my desk") alone, and they were VERY respectful. I had my 6" Titanium Scourge on the second shelf (normally with my classics, but I don't have them all organized and set up yet), and one of his forearms fell off... the kid IMMEDIATELY came up to me and apologized, and was very relieved when I said it was OK and fixxed it for him.

Maybe I'm lucky, though, but they were really great with my toys. Hell, if I could afford it, I'd buy each of em a new Transformer for Christmas just because of that! Sadly, my financial situation won't really allow that at the moment, but if that changes, I'm planning on it. Though I'm second-guessing that a little since they did start getting a little familiar with my desk... they were good about it, but they had been asked to leave the stuff on my desk alone... I'll chat with the girlfriend and her friend. Maybe if the boys were REALLY good. ;) 

9. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    My friends help.

They look at my stuff and say "what the hell do I buy you for your birthday/Christmas?"

I give them a want list and they buy me something off of it.

I love friends. <3

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Same here, more or less. I think about a dozen or so of my figures are gifts from friends.

11. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    my friends are cool with my collection and always asking what new ones i have and they all want to play with Ejector

12. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Am I the only one that doesn't have any friends?

13. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I have one friend who comes over often and everytime he does, he plays with my Transformers. He tries to transform one himself, and I ask him if I can help but he's like "No! I'll do it myself! "

Then he gives up, hands it to me and gets me to do it. Then I TF it back into the other mode, hand it back to him and let him do it properly.

14. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Your friends drop them on the floor?

That's just kinda disrespectful if you ask me. Go over to there place and drop their stuff on the ground!

But yeah, as already stated, my friends or wife will pick up something, mess with it and then ask for help :) 

15. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Most of my friends are nerdy to some degree themselves, so they might play with my collection, but they treat it well. There's probably a maturity factor in there as well.

16. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I only show girls the collection. I wait for the moment to strike that they actually find nerdiness attractive, then bust out the 16 inch cock of nerds in toy collection form, then it's allllll gooooood.

17. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Yeah, I don't have friends who drop my figures on the floor, let alone pick them up. My stuff is clearly displayed and they generally leave it as such. Even if they bump a figure accidentally, they start apologizing.

So yeah, I'd say your friends are dicks. That crap is just disrespectful.

I've never had a problem with friends and my toys... it's really just my girlfriend's 3 year old nephew that's an issue.

18. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    It sucks because they're fine with everything else, even my big ass Lego sets and Bionicles, but it on TF. Hell, they buy TFs too, they should stop doing that sh*t! Sorry for teh cursing, but it really brings piss to a boil.

19. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    My friends know better than to sod around with my toys. They did used to take the piss out of me for collecting, though; right up until they realised how much my collection is worth (and that my hobby kept me mostly sane through some very serious bouts of depression). They appreciate it a lot more now, and a couple of them actually take a proper interest in it.

20. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    I only have friends over a few times. Generally they just take a look, but don't touch anything.

When I have my little cousins over, however, I just grab something from the toy bin, or something unimportant from the shelves (i.e. Activators BB) for them to play with. But even they are pretty respectful of my collection (crazy, I know).