How do you deal with bums?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sixshot, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    So I am on vacation, and some bum (young with many piercings and tattoos) today in Seattle keeps pestering my brother and I for change. After we told him nicely three times we didn't have any, I turned to him in a jumping, spinning fashion towards his group of flunkies and sang, "No no no no no no no no no" (whatever that song is). He proceeds to start cursing at me as I walk in to McDonald's. I told him to fuck off.

So we get cheap dinner, exit, and the fucker pursues us. "Hey you need to take my fucking advice and be nicer." I told him I would consider this and told him he needed to hear some advice of my own: "Get a job bitch!" In retaliation, he says, "What was that last word? Your momma's pussy lips!" I just smacked my ass in his general direction and told him he should try entering my hotel and see what happens.

Now, I in no regards recommend acting like an asshole to the homeless, but it seems lately the bums I encounter have a sense of entitlement, like I am supposed to pull out my wallet and let them have at it. I've frankly gotten sick of it and simply tell bums "No" when I am asked about spare change. They seem to get annoyed with me, but I simply do not feel like handing out freebies to some broke down idiot who can't come up with any better idea to better his or her situation than sitting on some street corner asking people for handouts in a rude fashion.

So how do you deal with bums asking for money? Do you play the old "I use my debit card" line, give them some meager penance, or tell them to fuck off? I've helped out nice bums in the past, but lately the bums I've encountered are rude and deserve nothing more than a smack to the face. :Gouki:  I guess it depends on the situation.

2. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I simply ignore them and if they ask me for anything, I just say "No thanks." and move on. Don't engage them, don't encourage them.

Just say "No thanks." every time.

3. man-frog

man-frog Well-Known Member

Just say, "I love you man". And the motherfu*ker will leave you alone.

4. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

I ignore them and keep walking like there were not there.

5. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    Chuck Norris roundhouse kick him if he annoys you again!

Nah but I just keep moving on.

6. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Every homeless person I've met has been nothing but humble and grateful for what they received when asking for assistance.

It might be shittier in bigger cities, of course, but it's been my experience that they tend to be thankful when you finally say "Hey, here's a little something."

I've been homeless in my life, I've had doors shut in my family's face, and it's not something you want to experience. I remember what happened to me, and that's why I can't turn away from someone truly in need.

Now, if it's clear they're just drunkards who sauced themselves into oblivion, that's a different story. They need help, not a hand out. But genuine, real help, that could save their lives.

7. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

SWca and I were once chased down the street by a crackhead swinging his cane at us yelling "come back satan!"

8. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

o_O ...what the hell do you even do in a situation like that? lol

9. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    When I lived in Pittsburgh, there was a 'homeless' person that sat at the end of a bridge in a wheelchair with a sign reading "Vietnam Vet: Please Help", with the obligatory cup and flag. I saw that he tended to get many handoutsjust in my morning and afternoon commutes. I myself threw some spare change in his cup, to which his general response was 'god bless you'.
    This ended when I was coming home a bit later one night and saw him look around, stand up, fold the wheelchair and hail a taxi.

There was another occasion when one of the more well-known destitutes was spotted in a suit having dinner at a really nice Italian restaurant. When he was called out on it, he left the area. Supposedly, he paid with a platinum card.

There are truly people that need help and deserve whatever they can get. Unfortunately, from my experiences in the city, I just can't be bothered with street people. I'd rather donate to a local food bank or pantry.

10. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    This pisses me off. As an active duty member AND a veteran of a foreign war, these people are either a) full of shit and/or b) milking it and taking advantage of people's patriotism.

Do something to better your station in life, don't just sit there feeling sorry for yourself, relying on others to get by...fucking bums. In the worst way. The Vietnam War was over 34 years ago, get over it.

11. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Run! You never know what the crazies will do to you.

12. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Umm...yeah, okay.

You didn't quote the entire post, only what you wanted. Here's what you ignored:

The guy was a con artist, not a real vet. So don't take it out on real vets with real problems because you ignore an important point.

And as for your extremely cold demeanor towards your fellow servicemen....

Who cares WHEN the Vietnam War was? The fact remains that a lot of soldiers lost EVERYthing because of that war. The ultimate sacrifice being their lives. I don't give a damn how long it's been, you don't tell people to "get over it", especially the vets that were there and witnessed unimaginable horrors, first hand.

There's a reason we have PTSD as part of the public's vernacular now, because the men who did survive Vietnam, did just that, they survived, but they really haven't lived since then.

Having to kill anyone, period. Having to gun down children in self defense. Watching their friends, their countrymen, their heroes die right before their eyes, and in deaths that no creature should experience.

Some "pulled themselves up by their bootstraps" (I really fucking hate that piece of crap line...) and somehow function, but they usually have a drinking problem, or some other vice that grabbed a hold of them during the war, and has continued to comfort them (in their mind, that is) to this day. So to say that even they made it through unscathed, is bullshit.

I have two Vietnam vets in my family (on my Father's side) and one's a cousin who became an alcoholic, functional, but an alcoholic. The other, is my uncle who died just this past Christmas, in prison, because of a crime he committed due to the war twisting him even further beyond what his childhood did.

Neither one of them could really talk about it when asked, even after all these years. The cousin, has actually broken down when asked about his back problems (he was shot three times being pulled onto a helicopter as he was trying to get wounded soldiers onboard) and the memory of that excruciating pain, and watching men of all ages die around him...still eats him alive.

Get over it?

You're in the service, you've seen your fellow servicemen bloodied, broken, beaten, lost, and hurt.

Do you want the next generation of soldiers to come into the hospital at Bethesda and tell you and your generation to..."Get over it!" because they're missing legs, eyes, arms, organs, friends, family, etc?

Somehow, I think you (or one of those broken and beaten soldiers) would take those loudmouths and show them that not only should the public respect and honor those who've sacrificed and fallen for our freedoms, but these future soldiers should show their respect as well. Especially considering those men giving their life and limb made it possible for us to even be sitting here, having this discussion.

So why is it alright for you to say "Get over it!" to a Vietnam Vet? A Veteran of a war we most assuredly did not win. And those losses were great. A lot of blood on the hands of many. The soldiers of that (and any war) deserve our thanks, our respect, and most of all...our kindness. Giving them FIFTY CENTS in a paper cup is nothing compared to what they've given us.

How dare you? How dare you even forget that?

Most likely, you were a pencil pusher with a desk job, and if you were witness to any actual action, it was most likely in the comfort of an office with a TV in the corner.

Because that's the only way I can even handle hearing this from you. At least then, it would be pathetic, though excusable. But when I think that you, a veteran would turn his back on his fellow veterans that came before him, it sickens me to my core.

The Marines motto says it best: "Semper Fidelis" ("Always Faithful")

Maybe you should take that to heart.

Get over it? How dare you.

13. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been tempted to say "get a job" a few times but, really, you don't know when you'll be dealing with a crazy or someone who decides to pull a weapon. So, I err on the side of safety and just completely ignore them with no eye contact or acknowledgement or anything. Actually, it's not much different than how I react to people in general.

Seeing as that's the attitude of many US citizens nowadays, I can't say I'm surprised.

14. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I do help some of them but it is so hard to tell the con artists from the legitmately needy. Ironically one was standing right to the side of a gas station with a "Help Wanted" sign up. I thought "Why don't you just walk in and try to get a job?" Some homeless genuinely can't work and I do feel for those people but there are also a lot of people just looking for free money. Those I don't feel sorry for in the slightest.

15. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Real Homeless people are not like that. They usually have too many mental issues or problems to be panhandling effectively.

In my area we have a road called rockville pike. I have been working at the same building for close to 8 years now. I see the same expensive, blinged out SUV pull up into the parking lot here, park, and a disheveled woman get out of her car, walk over to the dumpster and pull out her 'homeless kit'. She has a fake ankle brace, a styrofoam cup and a sign with "homeless, kids starving, im dying, god bless"

She limps through traffic crossing herself with her foam cup.

She makes close to 1000$ a day.

My officemate would listen to Police scanners. It is illegal to walk BETWEEN cars you have to stay on the median, if someone reports you they are forced to go 'send you home' if you are panhandling. They said that on average, there are 20 'professional homeless' or 'Charity panhandlers' on the street and they each pull down between 500-1000$ a day.

So we tried it. We took a co-worker, dressed him up as a war vet and sent him out. He made 60$ in ONE HOUR.

I donate my money and time to the local soup kitchen at the Catholic church. Homeless that ask for money are liars. Homeless who are asleep on a park bench because they are too tired to stand due to lack of sustenance or the crazy person hoarding plastic bags... They are homeless.

16. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

Since it's illegal to attack them,plus they could have knives and needles and shit,it's best to just ignore them. I don't need to support some freak's drug habit.

17. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I ignore them, I did give the guy $1 who had a sign that read "Why lie its for beer". Being a Bum has become a full time career at all of the off ramps on the interstates, the road exits at Walmarts and downtown where I work. Theres a rather large couple that will sit against a utility box. They have a sign and a bucket out for money while they read books or stare at the ground.

Occasionally the bums will wonder through the mall. People usually stop and give them money or food. One of them bought a pair of glasses and pulled out a fat wad of cash to pay for them.

18. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    This is why I NEVER give homeless any money, instead I either give them a gift card to a local fast food chain or food that I have on hand. If they are truly homeless then they would be very grateful for such an act. For instance, my husband bought a twenty dollar gift card to McDonald's for one man standing at a street corner. When he handed it to the gentleman he was very grateful.

19. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    They're awesome. There is one next to my movie theater, with like 3 foot long white hair, who just sits down and sings hip hop (not kidding)all day. He's like, the most awesome guy I know.

20. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    locally we have numerous charities to cater to the homeless. I usually volunteer at the local soup kitchen/food pantry several hours a months. their are allot of people out there that give the general homeless a bad name. They beg for money when they dont need it. One evening down the street where I live, my dad and i watched a guy begging for money. Something seemed fishy so we watched him for a short bit. He was sitting on a curb and numerous cars drove by giving him money. he then got up and walked across the street to get in a car (a nice newer mercedes) and drove off. we were both like WTF!. But thats why I dont give money. I hand out a card with several numbers on it and offer them a ride to a shelter. 95% dont accept the offer. But occasionally they do go.