How do you cope with the loss of a pet?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tyrannosaur, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

My dog Tosh may have diabetes. He's been peeing in the house a few times and has lost weight. Plus he's blind in both eyes now due to cataracts. He's about 10 years old. I don't understand how he developed this. He's always been healthy, I walk him about 4-5 times a week, always feed him, and he's rarely had a bladder problem (Only when he gets really excited). I fear he may be reaching the end of his life, and it's something I really do not want to go through with. I'm really attached to him, like he's a brother of mine.

Have you gone through something like this? If you have a diabetic dog how do you take care of him?

2. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

I once had a pet die, she was a dog and her name was Mallory. One day my dad picked me up from school when I was eight and told me Mallory had been hit by a large Fedex truck. She was nine years old; it was really sad.

Really, I think the best way to cope with a pet dieing, is to remember all the Joy it brought, Godzillaboy. I remember Mallory fondly...She was my best friend eversince I was a little baby.

I hope all goes well, Godzillaboy1993. In the mean time, treat her as best as you can, and see a vet.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2009
  3. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Sometimes these things happen, regardless of how healthy a pet was. 10 years is 70 years to a dog, so he is getting old. I'm sorry that the health problems are happening, and my only suggestion would be making sure you do everything you can to make your dog feel loved, which you clearly have been doing. If you haven't gone to the vet, please make an appointment with one and see what can be done. The vet will be able to pinpoint the problems and tell you how to take care of your dog if he's sick.

My rabbit was recently sick and I was afraid I was going to lose him. I was rather depressed and spent time making sure he was alright and making sure he knew I cared about him. When he got better I was relieved but I know he won't live forever, and I know I'll spend a lot of time crying over him when his time comes.

One thing I make sure I do is take plenty of pictures of my pets so I'll always be able to look back and remember them.

4. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

We lost a kittie this year. She was the first non-aquatic pet I ever picked out myself. I still remember her sitting in the back of her little cubby in the humain society, hiding behind the litter box, all I could see was black ears.

She was diagnosed with kidney failure. We had to get her special food, and give her medicine and fluids in her back several times. Eventually she became resistant to all treatments, and we knew we had to let her go. Her life wasn't enjoyable to her, and her obvious pain made it hard to even see her in the end.

I held her for a few minutes that last morning and tried my best to explain to her what was going to happen. People think pets don't get it, but they get more than you'd think. The words may not carry perfect meanings to them, but they get tone, and the way you are speaking to them. She hopped up after a few minutes and struggled her way to the door when I was done telling her what was to happen. As if to say, "OK. Let's do this."

We made her life as comfortable as we could for as long as we could. And when she couldn't live well, we let her go. Do what you can for your furry critter. Explain things the best you can. Even if you feel stupid talking to a dog, do it. It helps them more than you might think. And in the end you'll know you did everything you could to make sure your friend was comfortable and well taken care of until they couldn't be any longer.

The way you cope isn't nearly as important as finding a way to make sure their life is enjoyable to them. Coping can come after. It's hard, but you face it. And the happy memories they provided will get you through those first few days after.

It never gets easy, but eventually it becomes less a constant pain and more a bad memory far outweighed by the good. Good luck with your furry friend.

5. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Time, + maybe if you get another pet after a while, it gets easier, but you'll probably always miss them a little.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2009
  6. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Pets die. You grieve. You move on. Then you get another pet. It really isn't the end of the world.

Honestly, if you really think your dog is suffering because of it's cataracts and suspected diabetes, then I recommend putting him to sleep. Though is a completely a personal judgement call for when you feel this is right to do. Eventually however, you'll most likely have to take this step.

7. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    When one of my pets die, I just get a new one. :D 

8. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Sucks doesnt it? The only thing I can really rationalize in my mind is just that humans are lucky and live longer (usually). I had a cat of mine die some years back, but what bugs me so much about the whole thing was that his death wasnt a quiet one. He moved around sickly, kept moaning and meowing and just wasnt himself. It still makes me feel sick when I think about it.

Just when your dog goes, dont remember him/her for how he left, but remember the joy he brought to you.

9. AutobotSkids

Yeah, but for some people it's very stressful losing a pet. I would know.

10. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

As would I, nothing like having to bury two dogs just killed by a train, ya know. Regardless, it is just a pet no matter how much you love it. Can't let that feeling of loss rule over you too much.

11. Autobot_Wall-E

Autobot_Wall-E The Musical

We had to put down the family cat we had for 7 1/2 years last year. He made me laugh, cry, angry, and silly. He was a better friend than some humans I knew. Anyway, it was the worst day of my life. Don't be afraid to let out your emotions (when no one else is around of course) and find a healthy escape from your feelings.

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    The thing is, it's more than just a pet. It's a member of your family. And losing a family member like a beloved pet dog is not something that is easy to deal with.

The best advice I can honestly offer:

... was put forward very well by DaggersRage.

13. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    My wife and I lost both of our beloved cats this past year. One to heart complications after surgery to remove a urinary blockage last December the other from an extremely aggressive form of lymphoma this past June. Both were only four years old and were like our sons to us.

The first two weeks were unbearable. Our second cat especially since we held him as he was put to sleep. The first cat we weren't there for him when he passed because we were on vacation in California.

Needless to say, both my wife and I still feel like our hearts are missing something without them around.

Even with out two new kittens bringing back some form of normalcy, we often miss our first two guys. They were truly special to us.

But like DaggersRage said, the best way to cope is to remember the joy your pets brought you. My wife made a scrapbook of all the pictures we took of them as well as any trinkets that belonged to them like collars with their name tags.

We also kept the ashes of our second cat since he loved to be in our company. Our first cat's ashes were scattered in our back yard since he was always the independent one who liked to explore.

14. Tyrannosaur

I think he's going to be fine. The vet said he was very healthy when we brought him in for treatment (Pnuemonia) back in september. We're bringing him to the vet tomorrow just to make sure. My parents started worrying that he had diabetes because he had some of the symptoms, but he's not lathargic at all. He's pretty active. Mostly chewing on a toy of his or a bone.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm not putting him to sleep thats for sure, he's not suffering or hurt at all. If he does have diabetes, I'll give him his medication every single day if thats what it takes. I'll do whatever it takes to make sure he'll live as long as he should (Bischons live pretty long, my aunt's lasted 16 years.)
    I'm not letting him die like this. He's always been there for me, he always jumped on me when I came home from work or school, I always walked him, gave him treats, he even sleeps in my bed a few times a week. It's true what they say, a dog is a man's best friend.

When that day does come (God forbid it) when he will pass away, I hope it's in his sleep. Peacefully, pain-free and quietly. A death most of us wish we have in the future.

15. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Tough question. We had a cocker spaniel that got blind and refused to eat, he was 14-15. My mother took him to the vet to put him down. At that time, I wasn't living with my mother. My sister called me and told me about it, I didn't know how to react.
    It took us 4 years to overcome the loss and get a new dog. I guess that's life, and we have to deal with it the best way we can. Sorry to hear about your pet :( 

16. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    i had a dog who always went inside the school bus with my sister and i, he jumps out when the bus leaves. one day, the bus driver ran over him, my sister and i cried for a long time. we even scolded the driver altough it wasn't really his fault, the dog went under the bus. my dad got me a puppy. after a while the loss didn't hurt so much...

17. AutobotSkids

So, your dog's ok? Glad to hear it. :) 

18. Elita_One

Elita_One Метал для життя

I had my cat cremated and she's on my dresser now next to my bed. I have a picture of her and a poem I wrote for her when I was 16/17 and her paw print. I always say goodnight to her. One of my kittens (she is 8 months old now) is a female so I always have the talk with her that 'her sister would love her so much'.

Yeah, maybe it's weird but I talk to my pets <3

You just gotta remember the good times and remember that they are in a better place and had a good life with you. I just cried the other night about my cat (she died in June) and this will be our first Christmas at my apartment without her and it's sad to look at her stocking.

19. Tyrannosaur

I'm not sure exactly, he has some of the symptoms, but only 1 of those is the major one. I think I'm just worrying too much. Tosh has gone through alot since we got him, and being as healthy as he is, he's gonna live a long time, regardless if he actually has diabetes. Maybe he'll live up to 16 like my aunt's dog.

He seems active, and he's been blind for several years now. He gets sick now and then, but nothing serious. If he developed diabetes a few years back it would have worsened without proper treatment. We're gonna bring him to the vet either tomorrow or later just to be safe. I love that dog, love him more than anything in the entire world. I'd give up everything I have to make him live as long as me.

I'm so sorry to hear that Elita-One. I remember my pet lizard Godzilla died once. Poor little guy :( 

20. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

At the end of July this year, we ended up putting our Border Collie of 12 years, Teddy, down. It was really upsetting, especially for my mom because she was so attached to him and she felt that she literally killed him because she was the one who ended up calling my uncle -- who's a vet -- to put him down. Mom couldn't bring herself to do anything for the remainder of that day, and for a period of time she still got upset whenever she mentioned Teddy to anyone. She's pretty much over his loss now, and she says that when the time is right, she'll get herself another dog... one she can keep in the house and preferably a small lap dog, like a Corgi or something.