Customs: how do you cleanly cut through plastic?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Bobby Lemain, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Vermoozer

Vermoozer Life, Love and Robots

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  2. Ptitvite

Ptitvite Construction worker

Yep! Then use sand paper to even the surface and to make a nice finish, use lacque thinner on a cotton swab and rub the surface to melt the plastic so that sand paper traces vanish. Practice before doing it on project.
    You don't need last part (thinner) unless you want to glue the part to another.
    Crazy glue is good but is incredibly stronger on perfect surfaces.

3. Ptitvite

Ptitvite Construction worker

Yep! Then use sand paper to even the surface and to make a nice finish, use lacque thinner on a cotton swab and rub the surface to melt the plastic so that sand paper traces vanish. Practice before doing it on project.
    You don't need last part (thinner) unless you want to glue the part to another.
    Crazy glue is good but is incredibly stronger on perfect surfaces.

4. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Razor saws are the tool of choice for both cutting and scribing plastic. A dremel CAN be used, but I wouldn't recommend it for careful cutting as they easily get out of control and the friction of the spinning can actually heat up and melt/warp the plastic.

5. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Razor saws are the tool of choice for both cutting and scribing plastic. A dremel CAN be used, but I wouldn't recommend it for careful cutting as they easily get out of control and the friction of the spinning can actually heat up and melt/warp the plastic.

6. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I'll second the jewelry saw. I'm not sure how much they cost, but they're very handy for fine work, on plastic or metal.

They're very thin, and are kept at a high tension, so if you twist the saw, the blade can break... but it's not a big deal. They're pretty disposable, and the blades come in packs of multiples.

Just remember you have to go slowly on plastic, because the friction will melt the plastic and it can clog the teeth on the saw.

zmog

7. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I'll second the jewelry saw. I'm not sure how much they cost, but they're very handy for fine work, on plastic or metal.

They're very thin, and are kept at a high tension, so if you twist the saw, the blade can break... but it's not a big deal. They're pretty disposable, and the blades come in packs of multiples.

Just remember you have to go slowly on plastic, because the friction will melt the plastic and it can clog the teeth on the saw.

zmog

8. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I used a simple box cutter, myself, when modding my Movie Swindle.

9. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I used a simple box cutter, myself, when modding my Movie Swindle.

10. skidsinlimbo

skidsinlimbo Well-Known Member

For a flat sheet of plastic a metal ruler and a sharp craft knife. if its an awkward to get at piece you could use a find drill bit and a archimedes drill to drill a series of holes and then sand.

11. skidsinlimbo

skidsinlimbo Well-Known Member

For a flat sheet of plastic a metal ruler and a sharp craft knife. if its an awkward to get at piece you could use a find drill bit and a archimedes drill to drill a series of holes and then sand.