How do YOU army build?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Torque, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Tell us all about what you do, how you do it, if its through the internet, if you limit yourself on how many you want to have etc. etc.

for me, I always do 5 when I army build. 5 guys. If they have a leader, like the Sweeps or Junkions, I'll have a 6th to rule them, but he'd have to be distinctly different, like I'm thinking of getting United Scourge to be my Scourge with my 5 Generations as Sweeps. With Junkions, I needed an even number due to the whole "they ride themselves" but, so again, 5 'generics' works. With the upcoming Vehicons, I plan to get 5, nice and easy.

Also, usually when I troop build since im not much of an "online" guy, I try to get them at stores, but always make sure I leave one for someone else. Like if i get a sweep, I wont take my 4th unless theres one there for someone else to have as their first. Unless its the 5th. I'll fight to finish a group lol.

How about you, what are your methods?

2. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It will depend on how many Vehicons I find in stores...

3. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    I'll get the figures as soon as I can. For numbers, it really depends. For GI Joe, I tend get 13 of a troop builder to have a full USMC style rifle squad(1 sergeant, 3 fireteams of 4 troops). I'll go online or in stores. I suppose I'm "bad" in that I'll tend to pick up all of the figures I need in one go if they're there.

For the Prime deluxe Vehicons, I intend to get four, and I'll get all four of 'em if I see 'em.

4. LogicalLuke

LogicalLuke Banned

I don't hoard everything in sight, half and half usually, no more than seven.

5. Thunderjet

Thunderjet Well-Known Member

I plan to build my Cyberverse Vehicon army over time. I don't know any other details, how many I'm going for,or how many I'll buy each trip to the store, but I'll try to figure it out as I go along.

6. depthcharge82

depthcharge82 Maximal

i troop build on accident

7. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I don't really have a method, and have only troopbuilt Scourge and Wreckgar/Junkheap. With Scourge I was happy with three, and bought a 4th that I eventually wanted flying in, but discovered how much I like two sweeps on either side of United Scourge in bot mode. With Wreckgar, I have a thing about going for even numbers. With Ross/TJ Maxx/Marshalls deals, this has made it a little tough, cause I just grab em as I see them.

The Vehicon, chances are I will probably only get one. I don't watch the show, so I have no real tie to him, but if I do troop build them, I will grab three to go with my one Takara 1st Edition version.

God help me if we ever see a Classic Gnaw. I will buy a whole shelf worth just cause I like that tubby bitch.

8. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just buy Scourges whenever I see them for $10 or less. 28 and counting...

9. Snaptrap

Snaptrap Field Commander

I have four United Scourges. One wields United Fracs and represents Scourge. I gave one a set of Drift blades. He represents Sweep Two. I gave one the regular gun, and he represents Sweep Six. And finally, I gave Blurr weapons to one, and he represents Sweep Seven. All four are the same mould, same paint applications, but can be surprisingly diverse thanks to weaponry. Sweep Two, Six, and Seven of course are based on the BotCon 2009 profiles.

I also have a United Wreck-Gar, United Scrapheap, Generations Junkyard, and a number of MOSC Generations Wreck-Gars. At some point I'm going to buy Maiden Japan upgrades for the Generations Wreck-Gars.

Generally, I only ever buy duplicates when they represent an actual character, even if they're comic or convention-only. My Wreck-Gars are intended to represent the named and depicted Junkions from the movie script, animation guide.

10. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Before the FE line was cancelled, I was going to get 2 of one version and one of the other. Of course it was cancelled and now I can't really do that.

11. Snaptrap

Snaptrap Field Commander

I haven't seen a single Scourge except online. :( 

12. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

I did that on SW but NOT on TF for some reason but its not the same figure about million times over though.

13. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    The only toy I've ever army built was Generations Scourge. I got the five I needed and a few more for a friend.

14. depthcharge82

depthcharge82 Maximal

To be fair; my troop build are mini-cons

15. Kevin XI

Kevin XI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Three. One in the forefront, and 2 flanking.

16. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Never really troop built before but I did manage to pick up two Takara FE Vehicons while in Japan (very happy I did as I quite enjoy the FE mold despite the back kibble). I do plan to pick up at least one of the new RiD Vehicon mold but most likely no more than that (OK, maybe no more than 3 of him depending on how the Takara Arms Micron version of the mold goes XD) to give the Vehicon troops some variety.

17. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i try to match as close to screen accuracy as possible, so for generations scourge i bought 4, scourge and 3 sweeps

if I am going to army build, i am going to do it right

18. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    I don't have the display room to troop build. But I will buy the American and Japanese versions of the same character and display them together. Only same version figures besides G1 stuff I have displayed are classics Junkheap, I have one riding the other, and Amazon Unicron, one for each mode. Other than those I won't display doubles unless its G1, in which case I have at least 2 of every figure '84-'86. But I do that to display modes, not to troop build.

19. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Sweeps: I have United Scourge as Scourge and three of Generation Scourge as the Sweeps.

Junkions: I plan on having an even number when all is said and done. United Wreck-Gar, Takara Scrap-Heap and Generations Junkion (Junkheap) as themselves. And I have four each of RTS Wreck-Gar and Generations Junkion that will receiving the Maiden Japan make over.

If HASBRO/TAKARA ever give us Shakticons and/or Allicons I'd maybe get five each.

20. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I don't army build. My funds are too limited to buy the same figure multiple times for no reason. And more importantly than that, my shelf space is too limited to display the same figure multiple times for no reason.

There has also never been a time when there was nothing else left that I've wanted. How can I buy 2 of x when I still don't have 1 of y?

Actually, I can't say I've never done it. I did have 3 Kenner Stormtroopers back when I was 8. But I don't think I've done it with any toy line since then.