How do you act in theatres?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Liege Prime, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok, I just read that thread about the deluxe theatre, seating only 40 people and the tickets go for $35. So, I wanted to start a thread about the way people act in theatres and share some lovely things I've had to deal with and why I would GLADLY pay more to avoid that if it was a movie I was greatly looking forward to.

I don't know if it's the area or what, but I've lived in Washington state for about 6 years now and it's introduced me to a new level of rudeness at theatres. Which is odd, because otherwise I like the people in the area. Anyways, things that happen pretty much at EVERY movie I go to:

-Walking in late, while staring around for a seat in front of people in the front isle.
    - Getting up and coming back during the movie while in NO WAY ducking or moving quickly or even trying to walk lightly.
    - While the incidents of people talking on their cell phones has decreased, they still love to turn their cell phones on checking lord-knows-what while the glow of their cell phone shines like beacon for an airplane (guess what- everyone sees you, you aren't clever)
    -Talking in general. Making comments about everything.
    -Idiots laughing at EVERYTHING happening in the movie, even f'n dramas.
    -Having a completely open theatre but sitting within 1 or 2 seats from me or the other lone group/person

Ok, I could go on. Anyways, recently I had to get refunds for Cloverfield because there was a, well, socially challanged girl laughing and talking about everything going on to her apparently socially challenged boyfriend. And there was no other seats to go to for a group of 3. This was the Sunday after it came out.

However, even more recently, I went to see Doomsday- a fun stupid action movie. The place was about a quarter full, but for the most part the left side of the auditorium was empty, which is where me and my friends sat. We were a pretty good amount of space from anyone else. Then, of course coming in right at the beginning of the movie, this guy and some teen kid came in and sat in the row in front of us, right in front of us. Since the movie was already started, I just sat there, until I noticed a terrible odor that consisted of cigarrettes and body odor. The kind of body odor that tells you this guy has a job that makes him sweat, and he is still wearing the clothes he sweats in every day and hasn't washed them in about 3 years. So, I moved a few rows up. Not good enough. The odor went up the entire theatre. I kid you not, anyone on the left side no matter how far up had to leave their seats, and my group and I ended up sitting on the right, now around a bunch of people. Besides my chair getting kicked a few times (a lot of people seem unaware that there is matter around them when they move) everything else was ok.

Ok, to sum it up, I have no idea why people act this way and if I had to pay an extra $25 a ticket to guarantee a good expereince for a movie I am highly anticipating, I would.

2. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I can handle people walking past, even if it isn't quickly. I can deal with food wrappers to a point. Breakdance in the aisle if you want, I don't care.

JUST SHUT UP.

extremely quiet comments are fine, I do crack a joke or two when watching a movie with my friends and what not. But I cannot stand people yapping on cellphones, laughing idiotically loudly, screaming every time something happens on screen.

Hell, I haven't seen a movie in the theater since AVPR, and then I wound up next to some teenage brat who apparently learned the word "shit" that day so every 20 seconds she was screaming "OH SHIT!, OH DAMN SHIT SHIT OH SHIT!" every time a burst of gunfire happened or someone getting stabbed etc.

Out of the 2 reasons I go to the theater(bigger screen, better audio) I absolutely hate it when people want to ruin half the experience by not shutting up. I've also gone off on my roommates for walking into the living room being loud and retarded when trying to watch a movie at home as well.

It's a movie, you pay $11 to sit in a seat, shut up, and watch a movie just like everyone else. I didn't pay my $11 to hear someone else scream explatives, hear a family yap about their mortgage, and babies do not belong in theaters period.

Every movie needs this before it, nevermind that it was the only funny part of the movie it was from, but everyone should be aware of it: http://www.broadcaster.com/clip/22048

3. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

I remember one night a few years back, it was a tuesday night, which was my work friday, and I was feeling really stressed out and decided I wanted some time to myself after work. So I went to a pub and had a bacon cheeseburger with poutine and a beer, then I went to Zellers and found Energon Skorponok (which became one of my all time favourites) and then I went to see this canadian flick, Ginger Snaps 2 (werewolf movie). I had seen the first one and no one else I knew had seen it or wanted to see the sequel, so I decided to go see it by myself on this occasion. I got some pop and some Reese's Pieces and sat in the middle/front area (this theatre has a small section near the front that's broken up by a walk way, I say right in front of the walkway. As this movie wasn't very popular, there was only a small group of about 6 teenagers in the theatre in the middle/back. The dumb kids started throwing stuff in my area before the movie began(I'd wager they were trying to throw it at me, being the shitheads that they were). It was all I could do not to fly off into a rage and attack them. Luckily the movie started and they stopped. That was probably the rudest thing I've ever seen, but in retrospect it was probably not as bad as it seemed at the time because of my own mood.

Other fun stuff has happened though. Seeing the midnight screening of Revenge of the Sith had all kinds of people dressed up and doing lightsaber fights at the front of the theatre. X-men 3 has some girls dressed up like the X-girls. Good times.

4. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    thats why i only go to morning matinees anymore.I cant stand some of the people that go at night and there is no way i am paying 12 dollars for a movie in a crappy theatre.It is still 8 dollars but i can deal with it better.And for the love of god TURN OFF YOUR PHONE AND SHUT UP DURING THE MOVIE

5. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    I quietly mocked the movie 10,000 B.C. to my friend sitting next to me throughout its entirety. I feel entirely justified in doing so. Hell, if people HAD been listening to me instead of the movie, I think they probably would have enjoyed it more.

Raptor Ostriches. Seriously.

Is it strange that at the same time I can't stand the sound of people eating in theaters?

6. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Eating doesn't bother me so much- but why do some people have to shuffle through their popcorn for 20 minutes before scooping into their mouths? Are they looking for the perfect handfull? Just shovel it!

7. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    one time a buddy was finishing his twisties during the trailers and neighboring seat guy was like 'r u gonna finish dat before the movie starts?!!'

most inappropriate show of concern evar.

8. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Like you Liege I get aggravated by the slightest little annoyances in the theater the older i get. Its why I don't see many movies, and those I do are usually the first showings of the day on a week day. Unless its some great movie, I'm more than content to wait three months for the DVD. If I do go see a movie, I watch the movie quietly and rarely talk to those around me.

Though in my youth my friends and I would love to throw milk duds from the back row during the movie...good times.

9. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    I do what I paid to do: watch the f***ing movie.

I don't have conversations with people (you want to whisper an occasional comment? Great. Go for it. Don't have a running dialogue throughout the whole movie at normal volume).

I don't shout comments at the screen, or laugh at moments that aren't funny in the slightest.

I don't take children - like, 3-5 years old - to R rated movies with graphic violence, nudity & f-words abound.

I do threaten people that are disruptive. You'd be surprised how fast someone shuts the h3!! up when you tell them you'll cut off their head and drink their blood if they don't. ;) 

10. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Once my friend stood up and threw a large soda at someone for talking repeatedly with full strength. He was arrested and had to take an anger management class. That was probably the biggest over reaction I've seen.

11. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    Get there EARLY as hell, sit dead center as far as side-to-side goes, and about 75% up and towards the back for stadium seating to get the perfect view.

I NEVER get up to go pee, and when the movie starts I stfu and watch :) 

I hate going with people who like to walk in just as it starts. I'm really particular about this but then again I'm particular about everything :p 

12. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

There was a time when I was a dumb teenager when, for any movie we were interested in, we would always go to the 7pm/10pm opening night show. Aside from literally ONE occasion that I can remember, we were never obnoxious. We may have walked in like we owned the place, but when the lights went down, we shut the fuck up. And we didn't have cell phones to futz with back then.

Now...between annoying people and prices, the GF and I almost always go to the first Saturday showing. The earlier the better...like 10am. It's dirt cheap, there's hardly anybody there and we get out right about lunchtime. All the teenagers are asleep and/or hung over, and the sparsely populated theater is 95% couples, single/lone parents with a kid, and people just there by themselves. Nobody talks and it's awesome.

13. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I hate little kids in a Theater. I hate people who talk or are really loud about things. I go and sit quietly. If it is a comedy it is ok to laugh. But for god's sake keep quiet during the film.

The really ironic things about all this:
    1) I LOVE MST3k and Rifftrax and that is people talking during a movie.
    2) When I am alone at home watching a bad movie I talk and mock it.

14. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Urine has to coming out of my eyes before I'll get up to pee at a theatre.

15. TENIME_art

Ebay:
    I pee before the trailers start. What a novel idea!! :banghead: 

Which is why you don't do sh** inside. You follow the f***ers to their car... ;) 

16. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Plus the ruckus caused makes your friend more of a nuisance than the original idiot. Following him outside means the original ass still gets an asswhoopin, your friend is less likely to get nailed, and him getting arrested doesn't disturb the rest of the people watching the movie.

17. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Fortunately, my friend learned his lesson and won't do something like that again... but I bet that guy that got hit still talks in theatres!

18. TENIME_art

Ebay:
    Well, thankfully, it's never come to that.

1. Shut up.

2. Shut the eff up.

3. Shut up or you'll die just like the person on the screen just did.

4. I go get the manager.

5. Follow them outside, and at the very least, damage their car.

I've never had to go beyond step 4. I've been applauded more than a few times for having to resort to step 4.

And, me leaving the theater during the movie? You'd better pray you leave when the manager kicks you out, because I just missed some of what I paid for. You eff with my money, you're stealing from me, and I don't take kindly to that.

19. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I watch the movies I'm really looking forward to by myself or with a few friends before opening night. Of course, I'm a move theatre manager, so that is my right and privilege. As for the average movies, I almost always try for the weekday matinee or weekday late show, where there's the least chance to encounter rude individuals. And when I do, I politely say things like 'Please wait until your outside the theatre to check your phone.' If they persist, I can just say, "Excuse me, I'm one of the managers here. If I see your phone out again, I'll ask you to leave." Surprisingly effective. I do this even at theaters where I'm not the manager- maybe it would work for you, too. :) 

Well, except the one time my wife and I were on our first date in a couple of months, and there were too old biddies talking through all the trailers, and then the opening credits. I said, "Ladies, I noticed on my way in that there's an excellent lobby in this theatre, perfect for you to carry on the rest of your conversation." I heard nothing else from them except a little exasperated huffing.

-Tony!

20. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

You forgot step 6...go to jail for vandalism, but satisfied nonetheless.