How do TFs get their faction insignias?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Greyley, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

I've always been curious about the way faction insignias are applied to the Transformers (the characters, not the toys). Depending on continuity, they can be burned on with a branding iron, in others they appear to be decals or paint, and bizarrely enough, in one G1 cartoon episode when one was torn off it looked like cloth(?!).

I have always preferred the branding method. Which faction a TF is on should be a major decision, and shouldn't be something taken lightly. Having a painted or stuck-on insignia just seems too superficial and easy to change or ignore. The branding makes the decision seem more legit and meaningful, IMHO. THIS is the side you're on; to get there you have to experience the pain, and to leave, you have to replace a piece of your body. A branded symbol is as close to a permanent mark as a TF is capable of getting.

Body modification of some sort has been used for this reason for a long time in human culture. Yakuza cut off parts of their fingers to show loyalty, and lots of native cultures require ritual tattoos or piercings before a member can be inducted into manhood or made a full member of the tribe. Something like this wouldn't be nearly as serious for a TF, since they can replace most of their body parts if they get damaged or altered, but I think the basic idea is still valid.

Thoughts?

(Note: My apologies if this has been discussed before. A search didn't turn up anything similar.)

2. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

They put them on and take them off like stickers.

3. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I've thought similar. But I noticed that in one of the G1 episodes with Skyfire, he rip's off a Decepticon "cloth-like" insignia, and put's on a magnetic-like Autobot badge.
    I don't think you could "burn" on an insignia on a metallic object. I think it would more likely be painted on.
    It's probably the same reason why you don't see typical "tattoos" on TF's either. As they don't have skin per say, you can't tatto a TF, nor could you do the branding iron thing either.
    I say it's paint, or badge of some sort. And, they have been known to switch sides, so nothings really permanent anyway.

4. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

5. Greyley

Maybe not with a livestock-style iron, but metal can easily be etched with a laser or chemicals. I guess to me, "branding" includes any kind of permanent application. IE, it's in the metal and it ain't coming out.

6. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

So like engraving? Yea that can work on TF's.

7. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    In Beast Wars doesnt Rattrap change his symbol? Could it be kinda holographic or something?

8. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ... and in the last BW episode, Waspinator rips his off - cloth-like again.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    In Animated Decepticon symbols are burned in, (as well as their Decepticon colours) while with Autobots they're decals.

Actually it was more like a sticker.

10. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
  11. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

They're not necessarily made of metal. There's a variety of nonmetallic materials used to make advanced armor. Even if you're not a soldier, there's much to be said for not using ferrous materials to make your outer covering. Robots don't actually have to have any metal at all to still qualify as "robots" or "machines"; that's just an assumption we make based on dialogue and Transformer slang.

That said, given that a TF's skin could be made of pretty much anything (though the way they take impact, I suspect some kind of flexible high-strength weave overlaid with whatever armor material the individual prefers), it makes more sense that the badges would be available in a similarly wide range of forms, to suit the needs and limits of the recipient.

For example, etching a symbol might work for some, but if you have a stealth covering, that's a bad idea, so a custom-made low-vis decal might be necessary.

12. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    I like the way Inferno is branded by Megatron in Energon. Its like a kind a viral thing insinuates its way into his core. He fights it to the end but can't help but to be a Decepticon after that - ultimately choosing death over the inevitable path to evil.

13. bumblebee-prime

bumblebee-prime Elite Guard

i would say it a combination of brand, decal, engraving, paint, and or just added plating. like how a soldier will wear a patch or special buckle.

14. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    We've got nothing on Preceptor. :) 

15. Vla

Vla Well-Known Member

I like this too. And I think such changing of shape is because nanotechnology, that also have its role in forming of energon weapons.

16. Greyley

I like the nanotech idea. It's similar to the theory about TF coloration that instead of paint, they have some kind of robotic chromatophores which they can alter at will. Animated seemed to go by this idea, since several characters deliberately changed the colors of their bodies.

In that case, the insignias could be part of their "skin" instead of being put over top of it. The only problem is that it would be reeeally complicated--changing one large block of color to another is a lot easier than maintaining a complex faction symbol (or several). But it's a neat theory.

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I wouldn't exactly call the faction logos complex.

18. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Reprolabels.com?

19. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Dang it, I was beaten to this before I could even try:lol 

In more realistic terms, it seems to vary from continuity to continuity. In the G1 cartoon the faction symbols are like sticker vinyls or something that can simply be taken off (this also works for Waspinator, since Beast Wars is post-G1 in the same timeline despite being set on prehistoric Earth), while in Animated it's just the Autobots who have stickers (Sentinel Prime ripping off Wasp's symbol, for instance) while the Decepticons go a lot further (cattle prodding the Constructicons). And then in the IDW G1 comics Mirage tried removing his even though that time it wasn't a sticker and he just scratched it to hell. Lastly; in Energon it seems to need to be part of the robot's spark programing, so when a forced side change process is enacted the recipent (Inferno) goes through so much pain that they mangage to break the art style and are forced to actually show expressions for a change in another drawing style.

20. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Then there were also the Autobots who's faction symbols were part of special modifications that they had - G1 cartoon Perceptor's universal emulator, Animated Prowl's holoemitter, and Animated Prime's was a part of his lighting system somehow.

--Moony