How do TF parents cope with their kids wanting to play with their collection?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cal, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    My daughter is only 18 months so she's into grabbing EVERYTHING and placing/throwing things where ever she pleases. For right now a locked door is how I cope with kids and my collection. She'll be introduced to the Fandom at a later date :thumbs2: 

2. Necrophon

Necrophon Speaker of Death TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I keep my TF's in the basement behind a locked door, I don't think my 2 yr old is even aware that they are there right now.

He has fallen in love with Transformers Prime as we watch it together every week so I have begun to give him my duplicates and such, he's got a few legends, deluxe, and FABs, he plays with them all the time and when he can't figure out a part of the transormation (He's only two ya know.) he brings the toy to me or my wife to help him.

He's had them for about six months now and I noticed the other day not a single one is broken. When he is older I'll probably allow him into my collection room once he's big enough to understand they're not to be played with. Right now at his current age I feel it would be cruelty to show him a room full of toys and tell him he can't play with them.

3. Rockdown

Rockdown Dream Commander

Ebay:
    My 7 year old, can and does play with most of my transformers. However, he cannot touch the masterpieces.

4. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hahahahah....
    ......wait.

He's 12 :) 

My son, too! He doesn't build gunpla though, MSiAs and Robot Damashii mainly.

He's still keeping all his TFs and good with them so I'm going to leave my toys to him.

5. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Exact same situation for me, except it's a son who is 18 months. I've given him some to play with like the bumper battlers and have a few set aside for when he's older.

For when older kids come over, I have a box of figures I don't care about.

6. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    My nephews have been coming into my "Robot Room" since the age of two. They are now turning 9 and one of them is my protector to make sure no one mucks around in the room when I am not there.

They knew the rules since 2 years old. No touching but you can go in and look whenever you like with or without me. If anything gets broken a lock goes on the door. As you can tell it has been 7 years and the lock is not on the door.

Honestly though I find they prefer going in there with me. I think they feel it is a good time to bond with me, what can I say I'm the favorite Uncle. Also when I am with them I sometimes allow them to transform a figure and take them off the shelf and get a closer look at guys.

To be honest I have no clue how they resist. My room consists of 8 7' tall shleving units filled from top to bottom with TFs. As a kid I would be floored if I walked in to a room like that and would be compelled to attack the figures lol. But kids are smart, they do listen and in the end value spending time with the adult over the toys.

I also find buying them their own figures keeps them away from wanting to touch mine. And allows me to fiddle with a TF without touching my own lol.

I would be more surprised if a collector with kids actually has problems with their kids going into the room and disrespecting it.