How do kids actually like TF toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Macross7, May 22, 2011.

1. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got Sentinal Prime. Damn is his legs are annoying as hell trying to get them into truck mode. That whole arm in leg bit. I probably was at it for almost 1/2 hour and they still aren't right. Panels on the one side don't match up. I was half tempted to throw it against the wall in frustration. Now if I'm an adult & am getting pissed at the complexity of these things, how the hell are kids handling it? I know for sure you can't play with them. Do kids really play with these then take a 1/2 hour to transform them to continue playing??

HASBRO, simplify these bastards a little!!!! I know Sentinel will be one of those bots living out his life in robot mode soon.

2. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    You have dad transform 'em for you...and soon as he finishes, you want it back in the other mode.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    This is hilarious, because this is exactly what hasbro has done with DOTM, and for the exact reasons you gave. Sentinel is the exception, he's still pretty complex and finickey.

4. Suchus Prime

Suchus Prime Well-Known Member

Either I was a super computer or you aren't very good at these things because when I was just a little boy no older then 10 I was putting together zoids model kits. I can transform these with ease especially leader rotf prime and I am not even joking it just takes time and patience.

5. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Sadly...

Damn kids stop ruining my hobby of collecting and playing with children's toys! *shakes fist*

6. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    my little cuz seems fascinated by the transformations sadly his toys always seem to be missing a few parts (I actually had to reassemble his TFTM Jazz toy). So yeah when birthdays come I tend to give him a few Legends

7. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm normally fine with these. Don't even use instructions most of the time. Even Leader Prime was ok. Sentinel is giving an issue with having the legs & arms in the exact postition to fit. They don't seem to want to get into that postion.

8. Thalack

Thalack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Its a sign of the times really. Back in the day most of the transformers had literally a handful of steps to transform. Hell, g1 Devastator had les steps to combining him than most dluxe or voyagers do these days. With it though, I've found it fun to learn how to transform these newer toys, but thats probably because I've always enjoyed puzzles.

As Suchus Prime said, it is practice. The more times you transform them, the faster you get.

And Suchus Prime, I swear everytime I see your avatar out of the corner of my eye I think it's a rat, then I look at it and remember its a pig.

9. Thalack

Thalack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you do a little digging, probably page 2 or 3 by now, there seems to be a few others who are having the same issues. Some say the panels need to be in the exact right position or it won't go.

I personally don't know because my UPS delivery got delayed and didn't show up on friday, so come monday I'll hopefully have better knowledge on the subject.

10. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was thinking the same thing while transforming mine. I was like "...how the hell are kids able to transform this crap?"

11. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Hmm..mm... Sometimes, dad can't do it so you ask your Aunt and she'll transform the bot of the hour.

But it's funny, what you said is so true, I get the alt mode, nephew wants the bot mode..:lol 

12. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    ....... i feel meen for posting this but it took me 5 mins to get rotf prime transformed first time he wasnt that hard...

sentenialprime isnt that hard eather his feet are fidaly but they do match up

13. GBglide

GBglide Furst Fanatic

It took me a half hour to transform Masterpiece Prime. They sometimes are too hard.

But do you really want to return to "I've got a car on my back" G1?

14. Sukima

Sukima *insert something witty*

I'm pretty sure that most kids who can't transform them properly just randomly fiddle with them until they resemble the mode they are being put into. Or hit the toy until it stays together.

I doubt most kids really care if they've transformed something correctly or not.

15. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I wouldn't be surprised. I also think most kids probably don't have many Leader class figures.

I know if I were a kid today, I'd be all over the Cyberverse series and would rather have a bunch of little guys rather then one Leader. Especially since Hasbro is kind enough to offer figures in multiple scales now so it's not like Leader Sentinel Prime was only only choice if I wanted a Sentinel Prime figure. Even as an adult I tend to get more enjoyment out of a few Legends then I have any of the Leader class figures I've bought in recent years (excluding Animated).

16. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I agree. I am sure it is nice for a child to have a big, impressive TF toy, and it probably doesn't matter if the toy is transformed properly or not, but being able to transform the figure easily and quickly still gives a child satisfaction.

My son's friend came to play one day, and he brought his TFTM Leader Prime. He was half vehicle half robot (Prime, not the friend), and I put him in the proper vehicle then to robot. The boy was rapt. Apparently it was the first time the toy was in a correct form since the first attempt and failure to transform the toy. It was 2009, the poor toy was in that condition for 2 years.

17. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    I was 11 when I got ROTF Leader Prime and I transformed it both ways without the instructions. I don't think I've ever even opened them. The only figure I've ever used the instructions to transform a figure was unicron when I was 5 or 6...

18. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Oh the irony ...

I help my kid with all of her toys and when's she's old enough to start actually transforming robots on her own I'll show her how to do it and help her each time she gets stuck. My parents did the same thing for me as a kid and that's how I learned to transform my figures. Granted, we weren't dealing with Leader figures back then, but the transformations really are easy once you take your time and learn how each piece works. IMO you can't depend on the instruction manuals for these things either; you learn a figure so much better when YOU figure out how the figure transforms. It's worked for me.

19. Facemeat

Facemeat Give me your Face(meat)!

Sentinel Prime was a bitch, trying to get everything aligned perfectly. I gave up the first time, but the second time I tried it, it actually wasn't that difficult. The only other figure I had this kind of trouble with was ROTF Jetfire, and ROTF Optimus was a bit annoying as well. I agree though, I don't know how kids can handle these type of things. I remember when I was young, one of my favorites was RID Towline, because I could transform him back and forth while I was playing with him. I for one am glad Hasbro is trying to simplify a bit...I think the majority of DOTM figures are better than ROTF figures anyway, even with easier transformations, which make them more enjoyable as well, IMO.

20. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

I was having a difficult time trying to align the nose section of DotM Voyager Megatron's truck mode. I couldn't quite figure out the hinge-work of the tab that the bumper/chest sits on. After about ten minutes I got it closed up right. Wasn't until this morning however that upon putting it once more from robot to truck I figured out how to get the grey front bits lined up with the other parts of the truck. I think it's an awesome figure, but hes too damn small! Admittedly he looks great in truck mode next to the G1 Stunticon cars.

Getting back on topic. my nephews (8 & 10) are usually pretty good at transforming their own figures. I've answered a few "How do you transform this" questions with "figure it out." Surely enough 9/10 times they do. There comes the occasional time when they want me to show them how it's done; I transform only one side of the the figure so they can see what its supposed to look like.

~Z