Customs: how do I remove existing paint on a plastic and diecast?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by mweeuser, Jan 31, 2011.

1. mweeuser

mweeuser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm trying my first gen 1 repaint and can't find a good way to remove existing paint. I've tried 91% alcohol on both and after a couple hours it's still barely better. I have to rub/scrub so hard I'm pretty much scratching the plastic and getting very little results. Since I could I tried paint thinner on the diecast, no difference at all. I've done some sanding with the diecast but I really hate to do that cause I can't affort to loose any of the molding details. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. convoymagnus

convoymagnus Yeshua Is Mashiach.

Ebay:
    What figure is it? For Gen 1 I use pinesol for the plastic parts, soak pieces overnight, and paint will come easier, the soft plastic parts like windshields will melt with pinesol so just use alchohol for rubbing most of the original paint off(sometimes I just paint over). I always use testors acrylic to paint soft plastics back because paint from a can will craze soft plastics.

I use lacquer thinner for the diecast parts, of course any plastic pieces attached like spoilers should be removed first or will melt.

3. mweeuser

mweeuser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    bluestreak, working up to makeing a blue bluestreak. Thanks for all the ideas. I think basically I need to soak stuff longer. Thanks

4. Dex17113

Dex17113 Well-Known Member

While I hesitate to suggest it.....

Acetone is FABULOUS for removing paint from just about any surface. With plastic you must be VERY careful as SOME plastics will actually not withstand the chemical and will be destroyed by it. That said, it will take paint right off of metal with very little problem. It will clean it right down to the bare metal. Keep in mind, that it is used to destory the sealent properties of super glue...so...it the parts are glued together it will take them apart. In addition to that, It is very flamable so be sure to clean the parts well after you use it. If you would use a dremmel or something without cleaning those parts and had a spark go...you could get burned badly.

When you understand the proper use and handeling of acetone, it becomes invaluble. It's cheap, easy to use, the results are stunning, and it's fast. There will be no need to soak anything....no need to wait....it will just eat the paint right off.

Keep in mind, it will eat the paint and finish off just about anything....so be sure that the surface you use it on is designated for such chemicals.

Places NOT to use it:

- over a wooden table which has a finish you would like to keep intact.
    - nice sinks - it can remove things from porceline.
    - anyplace with really poor ventilation.

Bottom line, use it on a work bench or something.

Dex