How do i reduce PC noise

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by daformer, May 24, 2011.

1. daformer

daformer Earth's Reckoning

News Credits:
    hi
    my PC makes too much noise. I dont know what exactly where its coming from, but i suspect the power supply. PC is from around 2004/2005 and i'd rather not upgrade the whole thing. So should i change the power supply or..??

2. Gatehawk

Gatehawk Gooner

i don't exactly get what you mean by pc noise, I'm just assuming you mean the volume.

3. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    The first thing that comes to mind is that you are using an onboard soundcard.
    I would buy a discrete soundcard and see if that helps.
    If you are using a discrete soundcard, I would change the slot, or change the card altogether.

4. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Spinning parts make noise: fans, hard drives, and optical drives. If the fan on the power supply is making excessive noise, you could replace it. If you want to have a completely quiet system, you will have to build one from the ground up using specific hardware.

5. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Me thinks you both misunderstand...

6. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    It wouldn't be the first time.

7. Gatehawk

Gatehawk Gooner

Wouldn't surprise me and I wouldn't take it as an insult.

8. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The question is, was it always noisy?

If it's gotten worse, that means something is beginning to wear out, most likely the PSU.

If that's the case, just replace it, no need for a complete overhaul.

Use a can of compressed air to clean the system as well. Build up of dust and dirt can rob the moving mechanical parts of performance and wear them down.

9. daformer

News Credits:
    I mean everytime i boot the PC, the noise comes from the internal hardware,nothing wrong with the speakers. Sounds like a one in the server room.

10. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Haha, I have an older computer that before I replaced I had to tap a fan with a q-tip to make it quiet down a little. So I would suggest opening it and listening to some fans and see if one or more are just making crazy noises. If so I would replace. It's not too tough and there's always youtube guides.

11. daformer

News Credits:
    ill try it sometime today

12. yami4ct

yami4ct Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What kind of noise? Does it just sound like a loud fan or a scratching, scraping metallic noise. One of your fans may have dust or something stuck in it, or it may have gotten off balance. If that's the case, just clean it our find out the size and replace it. It's not hard, it should just pop or screw out and put the new one in. If it's metallic, scrapping noise, it could be coming from the Hard Drive. If that's the case, I'd suggest backing up any important data IMMEDIATELY. It's a good sign that the hard drive's about to fail.

If it only happens when reading from a disc, than it's likely the disk drive. Fan noise could be the PSU, as mentioned. If it's just the fans spinning all the way up, constantly, than that could be a sign that your PC is getting way hot for some reason. It could be failing parts, meaning just time for a new one, or as simple as one of the fans no longer working. Open it up, turn it on, and make sure all the fans power on in that case to diagnose that. If you have a higher end PC designed for gaming with a large Graphics Card, a failing fan on that could also cause excessive noise.

I can't really say for sure without more information, but that's the most I could think of.