How do I record audio from a DVD?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Macross7, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There is a song on a DVD I would like as an audio file. However, no matter what video I play on my system. I can't record the audio. Is there an easy way of doing this?

2. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
  3. Macross7

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've searched youtube & for an mp3 of it with no luck. Even tried to find the scenes that have the song but they aren't on youtube.

4. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Download virtualdubmod. Then strip the audio from the video then scroll to your scene and crop the audio to the length of the song.

Doing this on virtualdubmod is really simple, even though the interface is a bit old school.

Look up a guide, and it should get you through it.

5. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    Did you try the website?
    midomi.com

6. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't know for sure if the equivalent software exists for free for PCs (it probably does), but if you have a Mac, you can download a DVD ripper (I use iSkysoft; you can get a trial for free), and then download something to extract the audio from the MP4 video file into a WAV or MP3 file (I use MPEG Streamclip; I'm pretty sure it's free).

7. Macross7

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I tried searching for it. No luck. No mic so I can't hum or sing it. Its a song played over a scene in Hardcastle & McCormick.

8. Starscream600

Starscream600 Certified Virtual Pilot

If you have a phono to 3.5mm cable (Red & White plugs to a normal headphone jack), you could plug the phono inputs to your DVD player and the 3.5mm jack to a laptop microphone jack, then forward to the scene on the DVD player, hit record on a recording software (Audacity) play the DVD. You'll get your audio. I never tried it before so if you set off an atomic explosion, I'm not responsible.

9. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, forget software etc, the easiest most foolproof way is just get a 3.5mm jack and record it on a walkman or something.

Having said that if you can play the DVD on a PC, you should be able to record the sound really easily, its probably in the sound settings in the control panel.

10. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Eh...this is a tough one. Do you have a smartphone? If you do, download the free version of Soundhound and let it run while the song is playing. If anything can find it, it will. Soundhound is amazing.

Though, there could be a problem... Usually these shows and movies don't use the original artists (to save money on royalties), or if they do, it's a specialized version of said song for the film/show. Nowhere else will you find the exact version of a certain song. It's a real pain in the ass.

For example, a New York musician known as Chris Classic has a song called "Doin' My Thing", it's been played in several movies, it's catchy as hell, but no one has a full copy of it. I don't even think he himself has released a full version of it. I'd buy the shit out of it if I could. I'm afraid you might run into the same thing I did.

Ooh, another example: Queen's "A Kind Of Magic". The released version is poppy, upbeat and fun. It's okay. The legitimate version was played during the end credits of the original Highlander film. A much darker and serious tone, overall. Really fits the song and the film. Can't get it anywhere but there. Sucks.

Other than that, Starscream600's method is the only one that's going to work. Although, most microphones record in mono, or at least the ones I've used, do.

11. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    Dvdvideosoft dot com. That is all.

Coyote x! I love that show.

Drive!

12. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    That's sorta what I do if I really want audio of something. Maybe from a DVD of a live comedy show so I can play it in the car. I'll play the DVD in the computer and just plug a lead from the audio out socket into the microphone in socket and then record to the computer. There's probably a way to do it all in-computer without having to buy any software but I'm too lazy to ever bother to look.
    When I wanted to record some really old stuff off audio tape to computer I was going to buy one of those proper USB cassette tranfer devices, but in the end I was too stingy to buy one and instead just plugged the tape player into the microphone socket of the computer and recorded from that and it came out just fine. Unless someone was using a mobile phone in my house then I got that 'doot-de-doot-de-doot-de' interference sound on the recording and had to do it all over again.