How do I preserve the "chrome" on my toys

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by LigerPrime, Jun 8, 2012.

1. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Guys, I don't mind to start a new thread especially but I'm wondering if anyone can offer me suggestions and tips on how to preserve the chrome on some of my older toys. For example, Brave robots and Sentai aka Japanese Power Rangers.

I had a rude shock when I saw a couple of "spots" on some of my Brave toys. and I'm trying to look for alternatives to maintain them. Please no jokes such as "don't touch them" etc because I will die if I don't fiddle with my stuff! LOL!

2. Rewind

Rewind Space Hipster

News Credits:
    Limited exposure to sunlight and humidity, which will also help maintain other things besides chrome.

And yes, not touching them with your bare fingers does help (keeps oil off them) but I'm like you and have to handle my toys - I can't even go the white glove route. If that means my gorgeous, sparkling Goldran will suffer, so be it. He must be touched! :) 

3. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    You might try using pledge. With or without future, it's a good sealant and nonabrasive (and thus metal and paint safe) buffer for restoring shine to gokins as well as countertops.

4. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Quinjester - thanks for the info. looks like I will have have to do more research. It's kind of disappointing to see the spots and deterioration on some of my older bots...

Eriku - how old is your Goldran? Is it still in good shape? Any signs of chrome wear? I just ordered a set and I'm so wary of the bots having the chrome spots. So cheesed off...

5. Rewind

Rewind Space Hipster

News Credits:
    I bought it used two years ago, still in the box but it had been opened prior to my owning it so I'm not sure how long it had been displayed (if at all) prior to that. In any case, it looks good mostly but there are a few scattered spots on the chrome where it appears to be deteriorating - which were present when I got it. Doesn't seem to have gotten worse in the last two years. Maybe gold chrome wears faster? Or perhaps the Brave toys just got a crappier chrome.

Chrome is such a weird thing anyway - I have a G1 Metroplex whose thighs are still as shiney as they were right out of the box in the 80s.