How do I move THOUSDANDS of Transformers????

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Wajo357, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Wajo357

Wajo357 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My wife and I might be planning a move soon and we are already thinking of how to move my transformer collection.

We have a couple of ideas in our head, but I'd rather hear from everyone else first.

I need ideas on packing the robots, accessories...
    How to keep them safe, durable...

Any help would be appreciated.

THANKS!

2. Golobulus

Golobulus heh heh heh

This thread is nothing more than a thinly veiled cry to brag about your collection

3. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bring em over to my house. I'll move em for you. :wink: 

On a more serious note, when I moved, I bagged them all individually and put them into paper boxes and plastic bins. Otherwise, look into professional moving companies. There are people you can hire to move stuff like this.

4. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1. TF each bot into its most compact, least breakable mode (usually the alt mode) to make sure fragile kibble is stored away
    2. Place the figure inside an appropriately-sized Ziplock (the freezer kind are nice and thick) with their weapons, and then roll them up with the loose part of the bag
    3. Place inside smallish cardboard boxes (12"x12" perhaps) with larger, sturdier bots on the bottom
    4. Place cardboard boxes into larger Rubbermaid containers (like the 50-gallon size)

Everything should be well-protected, and no additional packing should be necessary. For statues and busts, I'd buy a roll of bubble tape (just don't wrap too tight)!

I'm interested in seeing what others suggest, too.

5. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Well, firstly, start packing now, move by the end of the year.?.

;) 

And I think AMS has some great advice, thats pretty much how I'd suggest, although the rubber made containers make it more difficult stacking a bunch of boxes in if the have any sort of angled sides.

6. Wajo357

News Credits:
    Thanks for your advice. My wife and I were thinking about making bubblewrap bags, putting Transformers in there with their accessories in small Sandwich bags. Then we would put them straight into a box. So many Rubbermaid containers sound expensive.

I'm concerned about:

weather issues - if it rains while they move
    careless issues - if the movers drop the box
    monetary issues - not spending a lot of money like buying dozens of Rubbermaid boxes.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks!

7. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    How do you move them? As carefully as you can. I once moved my collection when it was much smaller, I used small-bulbble wrap and the mover's boxes, then transported the boxes myself.

8. Psychrome86

Psychrome86 Well-Known Member

how about packing peanuts? less bags and less fragile.

9. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    I was going to say exactly what ams said. I've had to move my 500-piece collection 4 times now, and what he said is what I do. bubble wrap is nice, but once you start folding it and stuff, it takes up a TON of space.

10. rid

rid Well-Known Member

Last time I moved, I used my shredder (and a couple of hundred sheets of paper) to pad moving boxes and put all the figures in the boxes. It was amazingly quick to pack and safe for the toys. Anything that may fall off (gun, missiles, other acc) are bagged separately. All acc. from one figure go into one bag so they are easily matched to their owner.

Of course, I moved them myself and didn't let any mover touch the boxes. If you plan on getting movers, I'd still use shredded papers and also individually bubble wrap each figures.

11. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    mover gnomes.

This post is nothing more than a thinly veiled cry for attention

12. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

You could always sell some. Duplicates, less favorable, junk.... makes moving easier.

13. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    Transform eash into alternate mode and place them in ziplock bag with any accessories the figure comes with. Then pack them into large plastic sealed totes.

14. Wajo357

News Credits:
    what are plastic sealed totes?

15. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I feel for you, man. I've had to move my collection many times over the years and it keeps getting harder as the collection grows.

The suggestion of using Zip-lock bags is one of the best (cheap) methods to use. If you have a local comic/card shop near you, pick up a couple of pack of Team bags for your parts as they'll keep any chrome or paint from scratching off when you store them with the toys in the Zip-locks.

Equally important will be to lable all of your boxes and to make a list so as to keep track off everything. That way you'll know exactly where something was suppose to be after you moved and you can't find something. And trust me, something will go missing or get damaged. It happens when you move large collections. Just don't let it bug you. Most things can be fixed or replaced.

As for MIP stuff, to insure the condition of these items, you're going to have to spend a little more. A small to med U-Haul box lined with bubble wrap should prevent dents and tears. Wrap each boxed toy with tissue paper and that should prevent scratches and scuff marks.

Hope this helps some. Good luck with your move. Hope your collection and more importantly, your family makes it without any problems.

16. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    omg Wajo your moving!! where to? closer to work? :p  that would be closer to me! oh yeah and put all your tfs in plastic bags then boxes, DO NOT let the movers touch these boxes take them yoursefl in the car no matter how many trips it takes. That is what I did with my star wars collection although they are smaller then TFs, I put them in zip lock baggies then put them in shoe boxes, then put them in a moving box.

17. Wajo357

News Credits:
    sadly, the opposite direction. I might be transfering to another company location. It is 99% sure. (I asked for the transfer).

18. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    i remember a time when i used to keep my transformers in a couple backpacks

needless to say, a couple got broken :p 

when i moved just this last year we did it carefully [and we didnt have far to move so that helped]

i just did it with bubblewrap and newspaper for whatever ones didnt fit in my 4 big rubbermaids [of course, like mentioned, i transformed them into whichever mode would make for theleast amount of damage should something happen]

i dunno

the ideas brought out already are great ones. they sound like the type of answeres you're lookin for :D 

19. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Meep

News Credits:
    1) Collect Transformers
    2) ?
    3) Profit

20. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    one at a time.