How do I keep My cat off My shelves?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by soundwaveprime1, Mar 18, 2012.

1. soundwaveprime1

soundwaveprime1 Well-Known Member

My cat woke my up at 5 in the morning by knocking a lot of figures off my shelves! how do I get him to stop doing this?
    Thanks

2. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Ditch the cat, get a dog. ;) 

Nah, just kidding. Some cats are pretty cool. Sorry I can't offer you any advice though.

I think the perfect pet for toy collectors is a chihuahua. Too small to get up on any shelves or anything, and mine is absolutely not interested in my toys at all. Maybe to sniff a new one once in a while, but certainly not chew them up or anything. Plus very little in terms of shedding and what not.

Might be worth it to get glass doors for your shelves.

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I'm pretty interested in hearing about this too, but not because I have a cat. I'm just curious how one would go about this short of building a little fence to make it a physically unfavorable place or ditching the kitty all together because I'm sure there's a really neat trick that only cat owners would know heeh.

4. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Cheap motion detector alarm? I'm sure after it goes off a few times, the problem will be solved :lol 

5. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    inb4mousetraps?

6. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Put a empty soda can with like 15-20 pins on the end where it jumps up on the shelf. It will still make the racket, but they do not like that noise, and after a couple of times, they will learn not to do that. We did that with dogs and not jumping on the couch

7. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
  8. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    So do you spray that shit on your cat, or...?

9. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    When the cat approaches it it releases air with the accompanying sound and cats don't like it. At all. Maybe because it sounds like hissing?

10. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Ah, that makes sense. I remember finding something similar for rats a while back when my mom was freaking the fuck out over seeing one in the garage, but then I decided against because I found out it was poison.

11. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    Yell at it. That works for me. Either that or pack your shelves to the brim, also like me.

12. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I keep our cats out of the loft where my collections are. They aren't allowed up there unless they're supervised.

They know not to jump on the shelves as well as the kitchen table and punters though. Well, at least they know not to when people are around.

If they do they get yelled and hissed at. Double sided sticky tape helps too. They don't like to walk on such things. It also helps if the shelves are full so there is no space for them.

The only thing I haven't been successful at is keeping them away from our Christmas tree. They love to chew on it and steal the ornaments.

13. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Where as Cats love that and it would attract them more. DON'T DO THIS. There's a reason cats are cats and dogs are dogs.

Options:
    Kill the cat
    get rid of the cat

or

use smell deterrants. citrus smells, bananas , maybe vinegar...heck just read here:

Smells That Cats Hate | How To Train Your Cat | Cat-Training.com

I suggest getting cotton strips and tacking or laying them on the shelves after soaking them in one of these smells (test the smells by taking them to the cat while it's lying down and see it's reaction).

14. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Electrify the shelves to shock the hell out of Fluffy.

15. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Actually the sound scares the shit out of them and the air blast is annoying. Which might result in unintentionally knocking things off the shelf, btw. And it will startle YOU as well. Most likely when you're sound asleep.

Best thing overall, is just plain lock the cat out when they can't be supervised. 'Cause you can try many things and the cat may still do it anyway and just find ways around your deterrents, and in these cases the smarter the cat the harder it is to keep them deterred if you don't give them an alternative. Cats have a need for sitting in high places...give your cat something high to climb and sit on that's more desireable, like by a window. Also, move any furniture away that makes it easy for the cat to get to the shelves...move it further than 5' away, aka further than leaping distance.

But really, no matter what else you try, shut your bedroom door. You have a cat, cats are hardwired to explore and like high places IF they can get to them. And if you say 'Oh, but I want my cat to sleep with me,' as a reason for not shutting the door, realize you're going to have casualties...and/or a lot less sleep because you're worrying or startled awake by the sudden noises of the other deterrents.

--Moony

16. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

You also may wanna consider just getting a cheap squirt gun and unloading on the cat every time you catch it jumping up there. If there's one thing cats hate, it's getting wet. Worked wonders on a cat we used to have(passed away last year, natural causes) that in his youth liked to terrorize the Christmas tree during the holdiays. He messed with the tree, he got squirted. He stopped messing with it :p 

I would also suggest just taking down and putting away any valuable figs you have up there, just incase.

17. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    You can't stop a cat from doing what it wants to do. The only option is to eliminate its access. If you have a room where you don't want it to go for whatever reason, you have to keep it out of there.

18. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Not today Galvatron!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Break it's legs! or cement it's feet.

19. pud333

pud333 Well-Known Member

You can't stop a cat from doing whatever it feels like. That's why I hate cats. Inconsiderate bastards until they want affection from you. lol. Good luck dude.

20. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    -1! :p 

I used to be a dog person. My family had nothing but dogs. Then I had my first experience with a cat and now I probably will never go back to dogs. :D