How do i fix my Master piece Star Scream?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MechanovaKing, Feb 17, 2011.

1. MechanovaKing

MechanovaKing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My Master piece Star Scream's wings are breaking.

Where the wings fold up to go on his back in robot mode; Cracks are appear around the pins.

First of all, am i doing something wrong? Is there some way i should be folding a wings?

Second of all and more importantly
    Can i fix this? and How?

(Also is this in the right thread to asked about toy fixes?)

Attached Files:

2. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

It's a well known problem. I'm not sure how to fix it. I think some have superglue'd it back together. My wings are cracking the same way, and all I'm doing is promising never to transform him ever again.

My Skywarp can transform with no problems though. His wings do not suffer from the brittleness.

3. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    It's not brittleness and it's not something that was ever fixed in production. It's also not something that is caused by the plastic.

Fact; those points on the wings are thin and have to deal with a lot of stress during movement. The stress cracks are caused by either transforming them incorrectly (pulling them to the side at the wrong time during transformation) and/or the pins not being free to move on either side and when push comes to pull the weakest piece of material is going to give which is of course, the plastic.

I'm a little surprised by all of the misconception surrounding this.... it's basic physics.

The only way you can stop this from happening again or continuing is to transform it correctly (not pulling the wings out and to the side until they are in the upright position for robot mode) and putting superglue in the crack. Wipe off the excess and make sure you move the part back and forth as is it naturally meant to be done continuously for at least 5 minutes. After that move the part in intervals of a few minutes just to make sure you're not gluing the thing into a fixed position.

4. MechanovaKing

MechanovaKing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wanta trade? :p 

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
  6. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    I laugh at the notion that people contribute the breakage to improper transformation. The pins used in the MP SS are called knurled pins, meaning that there is a groove on one side of the pin to prevent the pin from sliding out, the groove of the pin, depending on the pin itself, can sometimes dig into the plastic around it, and thus, when transforming it, the groove can cut into the plastic and attempt to move it when it's not suppose to move, which can cause the break.

7. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yeah, mine cracked from normal transformation

8. zfeakye

zfeakye Starscreaming Slut

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the groove will cut into the plastics and hold on to it...so this part does not move...but the rest of the pin which is holding onto the joint can and is suppose to move freely....so there should not be any damage if you transform it correctly....
    eventually this is probably designed for display and not the kind of rough play which you would use on example, legos or even star wars/GI Joe figures...so you gotta be gentle and transform it correctly...

i have no problems with the pin joints but other parts when i handled it roughly during transformation but this happens only to the takara green starscream (MP-03)

9. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    Not true, if you look at all the case where the plastic is cracked, it happens on the side where the pin is knurled, and this also happened to my Hasbro MP SS, so I can tell you for sure that it's not limited to the Takara MP SS

10. anubis20

anubis20 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yup some Macross 1/60 Valkyries suffer from the same exact thing

11. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    I laugh when people try to act like they know what I've seen with my own two eyes because I did it on Greenscream when I first got him. I also do not only attribute the problem to miss-transformation and I made that clear in my previous post but whatever, read what you want. I was merely trying to be completely informative.

12. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I've really come to dislike pinned joints over the last few years. Almost all my breakages have been at pins, either right out of the pack or because of stress on the joints damaging the thin parts around the pin after minimal use.
    Whenever I buy a new figure now I check as many of the pin joints I can before that first transformation and then any others as I go along, checking they're either not broken already or if they're likely to cause problems later. Paranoid? Maybe.

Bummer for the OP's wing hinges though. Although MP Skywarp doesn't seem to be as prone to the problem it still gives me a bit of worry whenever I have to move the wing hinges on mine.

13. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yup I did this fix mths ago & it worked just fine but I used a nail polish instead, applied several layers of thin coats on the cracked parts.

Also now I just need to remember to transform it properly (as others here have stated) & hopefully that it doesn't recur again.