Customs: How do I add mass to something?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Bottom Out, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

I really dont know were to post this, but what Im trying to do is convert an animated bumblebee from whatever he turns into into a vw golf/rabbit. I'm insterested in what is needed to smooth out the front end so i can make new lights and grill, I also need to smooth out the rear quarter panel so that i can redo the rear side window..is there a clay or something that i can add to the toy that i can sculpt into what i want?

2. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    There is a technique called "reshelling". Essentially you would find an in scale "donor" car (model of a VW golf in this case) and graft the car's shell on to the TF in a way that would still look convincing in both modes. Search the Radicons How to/Tutorial section, you may find all the things you need!:thumbs2: 

A most excellent example from one of our greats! Plowking's Hammerlock reshell!
    http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-images/radicons-customs/Alternators-Binaltech/Hammerlock/

I believe reshelling will yield better results than trying to sculpt modeling putty over an entire figure.

Here is a tutorial for reshelling using Alternators as a base figure. Apply the same techniques for your project!

http://www.tfw2005.com/radicons-customs/tutorials-and-how-tos-2/re-shelling-alternators-164136/

3. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

i thought about the reshelling technique but finding a model of the mk5 golf is near impossible, plus this will be my first kitbash and i rather only spend 10 bucks and ruin bumblee then 60-80 on an alternator and ruin that you know what i mean? I'm pretty artistic so i dont doubt that i'd be able to actually do the molding, I just never actually done any sculpting over a toy before and im not sure how to prep the surface or what produce works best

4. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Yes, I understand regarding cost. I did mean applying the reshell technique to the Animated BumbleBee. If the VW Golf is too hard to find, you can use something like Aves Apoxie Sculpt. it is a two part modeling epoxy, very easy to work, both while wet and after it dries.