How do completionists do it?!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Grimlock_13, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    So I was going over how much I've spent on Transformers since I got back into collecting this afternoon....I knew I'd been spending a lot, but my jaw literally dropped when I saw the final numbers...which didn't count the hundreds I spent on G1 figures on ebay over the past four years.

I generally have a no repaint rule unless I REALLY like the new paintjob or if I get it on sale...I broke that with some of Energon but overall I don't even come CLOSE to fully completing a line. Those of you who are completionists, how do you do it? Do you have really really REALLY good jobs? I was seriously floored by the numbers...it actually made me re-evaluate my collecting, I'm going to finish off what I want from Cybertron, a and Alt. Mirage, but after that I'm pretty much done with collecting except for Classics since it should be a short line.

2. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    I buy everything I can even if I dont like the fig and then ill buy the repaint of it. I was making $10/hr + 2% of the sales I did in the computer store and have to pay $1299 a month for rent + bills I know some people cant spend that kinda cash on tformers. My jobs not great I dont make lots of cash compared to others in my city I mean the people @ mcdonalds make $14 to start I guess it depends on what kinda collector you are. After I finish cybertron and the japanese series im slowin down also.
    -Matt

3. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

i used to sacrifice alot of things. going out and party, going to movies, waiting till cheap night to go to the clubs, livd in my moms basement, and had a call centre job. i'd do yard sales, find junker tf and fix them up, and sell them on e-bay for a hefty profit, and turn around and buy more.

those days are long gone. now i just buy a few neat specimens wich i think stand out, and keep it on the low end of teh budget. i've purchased a few pricy transformers latly, due to Cybertron bing one hell of a damn good line, but now i've gotten them all i want, save excellion and unicron.

i have a grails list that will keep me busy saving, and i've just completed my parts list for the G1 stuff i was missing... except a pair of ratbat weapons

4. Rattrap

Rattrap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lolol  That sounds exactly like my life now. I dont do anything except stuff that involves TFs, I go to garage sales looking for cheap stuff. I live in my parents basement (even though Im 16) and I have a job in a call center. :lolol  I just find that funny :) 

5. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

yes, but i moved out when i was 23... thats just a bit past the creepy basement toy collector living at his moms stereo-type bracket.

lucky, i moved out and found a life away from just toys. college, girl friend, job, social life,it's al better than toys. you still have hope.

edit: i'm 28 now.

6. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Completionism isn't for everyone, and it's certainly not for those with big responsibilities in their lives. I started collecting in 1998 and amassed the majority of my collection while single. I had a great job out of college and I sold off about 10K worth of music equipment, having decided I wouldn't be going down that road any longer.

Within a couple of years I had finished everything up through Car Robots/RiD. Armada was just getting stated, and from that point on it was a matter of just keeping up with all the new releases. I'm still missing a couple of Japanese Micromasters and a half dozen exclusive Micron pieces, but I consider my collection complete... and eventually I'll get motivated to track down those last few things. :D 

The following is 100% opinion, so please weigh it as such. If you want to be a completionist, there are a couple of important considerations:

First, keep it to one toyline... I've often been tempted by the Yamato Macross and Marvel Legends stuff, but there have to be some limits. I did cheat a bit though, and adopt in Battle Beasts, Brave, Webdiver, and Eldran!

Second, you have to make a conscious decision to set boundaries for yourself within the line. Lucky Draw items, the unreleased super-rare G2 stuff... those are 'unofficial' to me, like knockoffs. They don't belong in my collection, although I certainly acknowledge how special they are to collectors of a different mindset.

Outside of that, everything's fair game. Yes, I have tracked down every single variation of every single Playskool Gobot ever made. Yes, I purchase American and Japanese versions of every figure. Battle Beasts, PVCs, Choro-Q, MyClone, Built to Rule, reissues, Botcon, E-Hobby exclusives, Hard Hero, Palisades, Robotmasters, the list goes on...

Now that family has arrived, priorities change. I think I'll hold on to my collection for a long time, but after Classics and the movie toys, I'm thinking I might wrap it up. Too many places I'd like to redirect those funds towards - things I want to do for my family.:thumb 

7. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Thanks for your input everyone. I'm glad other have gone through this revelation. I know I was single living at home when I first got back into cellecting...moved out at 22 and kept on collecting. I've done a pretty good job at managing my funds, but I just need to move forward. We need a Transformers Ananymous forum here on the boards:lol 

8. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

For TF's, I've only ever completed 2 lines. The first was RiD. The second was Armada. I don't know what it is, but Armada is seriously my favorite TF toyline. It was just the most fun. I still find myself compelled today to grab the retools/repaints of Armada figures that made it to different lines. (Cybertron, Universe, etc)

I gave up on Energon after the first 2 waves. It was all crap. I gave up after the first wave of Cybertron. That was just pathetic.

9. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    like the rest of us, one leg at a time. one leg at a time.

10. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I buy stuff as it comes out. Have been since '85. 21 years later and it's a HUGE collection.

11. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I tend to do the "Buy as it comes out" trend. Say a new wave of deluxes hit, but only two new figures in it. That's only $20. There are some completionists who do 1 sealed 1 open, or one of EVERY variation.

Did you know there are 7 variations of Armada Bendy Prime?

12. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I collect mostly Decepticons (except Hot Rod) and I don't bother with repaints unless it's a really good one. I also don't buy certain TFs if I deem them ugly or too expensive. I also collect Marvel Legends and Sota SF figs so my budget is limited. I'll probably take a break after Classics unless the movie toy kick ass.

13. UltraPrime

UltraPrime Lord of Macragge

I'm not a strict completionist, I try to get as much of a line as I can.

My collection consists of:

BinalTech: my favorite line. It is almost complete (just need Police Prowl and BTA Sunstreaker) - I'm not bothering with the Kiss line, so will get new Alt modes (picked up Prime this week) - won't get repaints. I lump the MPs in here too - got both sofar.

Robot-Masters: Got all of them, including Thundercracker/Skywarp, but didn't bother with the black repaints.

G1 reissues: Got all the bookcase releases, and Predaking and Star Convoy, but didn't bother with the e-hobby releases. Got a few Hasbro ones too, but it was mainly the Japanese ones I was after.

WSTs: Got all of wave one (without chases) and wave two with chases)

Galaxy Force: All of the GC and GDs, plus GX01 and 02, didn't bother with Soundblaster. I consider that collection complete as I'm not bothered about repaints, and it's too much to import Primus!

I've been collecting for 3 years now, so am happy with what I've got. I do have other collections too (mostly lego!). I'm having to cut down alot now as I am going through a divorce and I have the kids, so they are my first priority. Having said that, as I can't get out much due to staying in with kids, I do have a certain disposable income, so I can generally pick up one TF a week (ebay is my friend ;) )

14. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    What's with this "completionist"? I always thought it was "completist"...

15. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I hunted Beast machines to completion (just need a Botcon Arcee now; I had to sell mine the other year); it was a fairly small line, so although most of it wasn't released here I still managed.
    I have at least one of each mould (including things like Megabolt & Air Attack primal, but no Bruticus yet; that bloody dog can be expensive when you Do see him), and one of every single figure ever released in the West in BM packaging.
    However, I don't intend to do that for any other TF line; Hasbro Europe's ridiculous gaps in lines makes it a stupidly expensive thing to try. I pretty much confine myself now to pieces I like the most from each line, the occasional G1 piece, and any of the 17 or so BW figures I'm still missing.

16. Nightscream

Nightscream JP TF Master Collector

Ebay:
    After three years of collecting, my collection is worth about $37,500. That's a hell of a lot considering I've had a yearly salary of less than $20'000. The explanation is that all this time, transformers have been the #1 thing I've spent the money on after the bills, and my main pastime activity is looking for good deals, or selling figures to friends and on message boards for a tiny profit. I have limited myself very little. I often buy things I can't really afford, and then I take a look at my collection and think of what I can sell of for a profit to cover the costs. There are very few pieces in my collection I absolutely will not sell, because anything can eventually be found again. This philosophy has paid off very well so far. I spend around $1000 on transformers each month, and probably sell for around $500. This weekend, for example, I bought a lucky draw tracks for $215. It means my credit card goes in the red, but I'm pretty sure I could get $300 for it if I sell it again. So if I can't get the credit card into the blue by the next bill, that is what I'm going to do.

17. snkeyes069

snkeyes069 Legend in his own mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Right now, I try to collect one of every US toy released to keep MIB or MISB.

For Alternators, I'll also collect packaging and mold variants, plus extras for "improving" (Like my Alt Tracks with silver stripes).

As much as I'd like to collect doubles to open, or every variant of every line, or international releases, or rare items like e-hobbys and lucky draws, I just don't have the money. Keeping current is expensive enough.

That said, I missed most of G2 through RID, but my G1 collection is extensive (with their boxes), My Armada is missing Starscream, Energon is missing Ultra Magnus and everything else that was released to US retail is ~3 months behind (lousy distribution) or complete.

Check my sig. :) 

18. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    It becomes pretty overwhelming. I have a desire to complete my collection, but it conflicts with my minimalist nature.

I have about 350 figures, most are Beast Wars. If I could get the value I paid for the BW figures, I would sell them in a heart beat.

As you get older, get married, have kids, buy a house, build your investments, you just can't drop $150 a month on transformers like when you are single.

19. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    Quoth Johnny Cash, "... one piece at a time..."

20. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Honestly right now I have a Botcon fix, so I'm getting every Botcon exclusive I can get my hands on. There still a bunch of Cybertron stuff I want to get. Plus any rare jap stuff from the Victory, Zone or Masterforce line I don't have.