How did you start collecting?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Evil'Con, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Evil'Con

Evil'Con Genericon

News Credits:
    Did you watched cartoon and saw toys at store and just bought them?
    Did friend reccomend them to you?
    Is it the power of commercial?
    Or you find them at store while looking for something else, and you thought they look intresting?
    Something else?
    How did you start collecting?

2. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Cartoon as a kid. I did stop collecting for a while but the movie brought me back. So aside from that spell i have been doing this all my life.

3. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

The wife and I bought Legends Bumble and Barricade after seeing the film, "because we thought it was funny". 400 TFs later, and she's no longer laughing...

4. G.I.EDDIE

G.I.EDDIE Purple treads suck!

News Credits:
    i saw a Masterpiece Voltron onlie and bought it...little over $100, and i thought THAT was expensive, lol...after thaqt, it was all down hill

5. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I came out of the womb as a baby with an optimus prime.

j/k.
    I started at a young age collecting robots always, probably from cartoons. Transformers being one of them.

6. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

I bought a Transformer and set it on a shelf. Then I bought more and set them on the same shelf.

Anyway, raised on TFs. Grew up poor, so didn't get very many as a kid. Grandma bought me two a year for bday and Christmas til the day she died. Once I had my own income, I started snapping up G2 here and there, then RID. Ex wife threw away my first collection, and started buying again when G1 Reissue Prowl came out. In my current wife's eyes it was all downhill from there.

7. BMBquimby

BMBquimby Tripredacus Agent

I used to watch Beast Wars as a kid, but never really saw the toys until a few years later. That's where the addiction started and I've been non stop since then.

8. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    My mom bought one for me when I was 4.

9. Atomatron

Atomatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    g1 cartoon fan as a child then...movie 2007...sweet jebus

10. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    Before Transformers.
    Before Gobots.

There was Robo Machine.

11. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I watched G1 when I was a kid, but was never a collector until about '01 when I saw some RiD toys on a random shopping trip. I bought Skid-Z and Windsheer just because I thought they looked kind of cool. After that, I bought everything that looked cool to me at the time and suddenly realized that I had a little collection going on!

12. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I actually got into collecting per se when I accidentally clicked on a Peaugh review (I think it was the Ice Cream Twins?) and I thought it was really clever. ROTF happened to be out at the time, watched it, and hey, here I am now, ready to crack skulls over what color Frenzy and Rumble are.

13. Atomatron

Atomatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    rir fib

14. Jacer

Jacer Find Kill Cleanse Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    No idea? I was into transformers as far back as I can remember!

15. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    At around 17, well after I received the last BW as gifts, I saw an episode of armada on TV. It was the one when Jetfire first appears and combines with Prime.

Walked to a store, bought deluxe sideswipe and thrust. Then some more. Then was puzzled because one store had RID Prime and Armada Prime next to each other.

Needless to say I have none of them anymore, but those were the beginning of my [adulthood, buying by myself]collection.

16. Shockblaster

Shockblaster likes Kate Upton

Officially started in 2006, when I saw Cybertron Ultra-class Jetfire on the shelves on the toy store I went into, returned when I had the money and bought him, and been collecting ever since.

17. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The first toy I remember having was Optimus with the trailer. (this one: Image:G1 OptimusPrime toy.jpg - Transformers Wiki)

I never 'collected' as a kid but I did have a massive amount of TF's. As I got into my teens my interest faded as real vehicles and other teen stuff became more interesting. For xmas 2009 my wife bought me an Ultimate Bee. He sat on my desk until my bday this year when she also bought me RotF Leader Optimus.

That did it. Having those two flipped some collecting switch in my head and now all I want to do is go toy hunting. I'm at 19 figures right now and I love every one of them. I'm not a completest so i'll never have a huge amount of them, but i'm focusing on the one's I really like, and have meaning to me.

18. Predakign2000

Predakign2000 All Hail Unicron!!!

I grew up on Transformers and GoBots. I loved them as a kid. Typical child of the 80's... Lost touch in the 90's. I watched some of Beast Wars in college. RID brought me back into collecting though. Got a Prime and Magnus first chance I got! I've been a sucker ever since.

19. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Saw the 07 movie, thought it would be cool to see how the toys would work after seeing commercials of them, went on Youtube and watched a review of concept camaro bumblebee, and I thought it was cool, so I started buying the figures.

My first toys that I remember as an actual fan were Movie '07 Deluxe Brawl, preview Protoform Optimus Prime, and Classics Cliffjumper.

20. Mighty.Maximal

Mighty.Maximal Banned

Was already buying Robo Machines saw the toy TF adverts thought they were fun bought the Comic.. bought a few issues then eventually saw the Cartoon later, got given a couple of Transformers as gifts progressed from there it was partially reinforced by other Transformational play pattern toys and other robots of the same period like Robo Machines eventually that became Go Bots/ then MASK & the various Transforming eggs that were fashionable at that time. Before not very long Robo Machines / MASK stopped being made and that left me with Transformers, other things got my attention afterwards like Starcom and Turtles and other things like Masked Rider & Power Rangers later on but they also didn't always last so long or became hard to obtainable.

Now have a great many Transformers - mostly because they kept making more and more of them especially since 2000CE (AD) where they seem to be averaging at least 100 a year.

If you asked me what made me like Robots in the first place it's probably a combination of an older School friend getting me interested in Micronauts and the effect of the Droids in Star Wars and even Roby the Robot in The Forbidden Planet & KITT from Knight Rider. The interests in aspects of Transformation comes from things like Automan, Airwolf, The A Team, Galactica 1980's Motorbikes (and the movie they pinched them from Megaforce 79) The amazing vehicles in Ulyssses 31, Inspector Gadgets & Doctor Claws cars, Gi Joe/ Action Force ( a bit), Grandstand Converters, even Lego and this ; (from a previous era) ;

http://www.actionmanhq.co.uk/images/pursuitcraft.jpg
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/hasbro/superjoeavenger.jpg
    http://fm87tw.bay.livefilestore.com...hl9ENeDDbmr7tBRpjREg5H9t_0bZatVg/P4082784.JPG

All had an effect to get me interested in the transformational play pattern. and that just happens to express itself main through Transformers... that does not mean I don't also hold a great deal of affection for other things that Transform since then especially Microman 99 & Starcom. or that I don't like some Action figure lines that don't Transform too like Visionaries, Gi Joe, Marvel Universe, Seaquest DSV, Skeleton Warriors and 2004 MOTU. I also will likely buy some of the new Thundercats toys at some point just because I like the 3.75" scale and I like the cartoon.. I'm not likely to ever start buying loads of 6" or 12" line again though I do have a stack load of 90's Action Man and Max Steel still... I've learned my lesson there it takes up to much space.

P.S. RIR FIB