How did you get into the franchise?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by luap184, Jul 8, 2011.

1. luap184

luap184 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    hello there, I'm sure this quesion has been asked many a time, but I was wondering what got you into the franchise, whether that was through collecting or watching the shows etc.

Any feedback would be much appreciated as this is going to be a section in my A-Level art project about as to how/why I and others have become a fan of, well, this fandom!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  2. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Watched Transformers Animated while waiting for a different show to come on. I got hooked and then slowly got into the toys.

3. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    When i was a children in the 90s I had More Than Meets the Eye and Rebirth on VHS, which I watched obsessivley. Cue growing up and I stopped paying attention to Transformers and briefly flirted with the idea of sports, before realising it was boring. Cue Teenagerhood and briefly flirted with the idea of girls, before realising I didn't care about that, either.

Then Masterpiece Optimus Prime on shelves at Toys R Us when I'm buying my little brother a birthday present. Suddenly I had something to be interested in besides videogames. Wasn't too taken by the Unicron Trilogy (mostly due to not being able to afford anything), but had income when the movies rolled around. My second Transformer bought in adulthood was Blackout, which in all honesty wasn't the best start.

4. Arkvander

Arkvander Optimal Optimist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
  5. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    I'm an old timer like Kup.

Was there at the start.

6. Starscreamer69

Starscreamer69 Well-Known Member

Beast Wars was my childhood, man! Beast Machines, not so much, but I still remember it enough to have nostalgic attachment towards it.
    I have vague memories of Armada, Energon and Cybertron, but it seems that maybe I shouldn't stain my fond memories of that show by revisiting it because it wasn't well received at all :lol .

But anyways, Beast Wars got me interested in G1, so I got pretty into that somewhat coincidentally before the 2007 movie.

Ah, man good times with Beast Wars, though. I remember playing with my Fuzors with my cuz in his backyard. :')

7. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    When I was 5 or 6 we were on vacation and there was one boy from Berlin I played with often, he had some Transformers, like Siren, which immediately became my favorite Transformer and he told me something about them and that their leader would turn into a red truck. That amazed me. Sometime later back home I found Transformers at our stores and I was happy once I got my first. I had many toys, nearly everything that was cool. Like Masters of the Universe, Ghostbusters, Turtles, Dino Riders, M.A.S.K., Starcom and so on. But Transformers were always my favourite, sadly I never got all the toys I wanted, that I saw in the small packed in catalogues.

I never really got Transformers out of my mind, always thinking about them, imagining stories, etc. One day, I was bored at work, I came to the idea that I could just for fun google for Transformers and read stuff about them. That was when I learned some information I never knew before (like that there has been a movie and Optimus died there) and I even visited TFW2005 years before I registered here, because Google often took me here. I learned of Classics before they were released and wished I could have had toys like this, when I was young. I really wanted them, but I resisted to buy toys as a grownup. It needed WFC Optimus Prime to be released to make me start collecting.

Only Henkei Prime and Henkei Megatron I never bought (although I really love those molds), because now I think they are too large and I need Deluxe versions of them (as all my figures are Deluxes and I never want to have different sized figures again, as this made me already crazy as a child), which hopefully someday will be released. Until then WFC Prime and WFC Megatron are the leaders of my collection ;) 

8. Star Saber

Star Saber Primus Hates You!

News Credits:
    Child of the 80s, grew up with Transformers, stuck with it through G1, G2, Beast Wars, but dropped it during BM, and came back with Car Robots, been here ever since! :) 

9. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    RID.

10. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I was born in 83, so unlike those people a few years older than me, who actually remember every detail of their first toy or episode, for me it was more like once I was old enough to play with toys, I was already bombarded with the franchise's popularity and my uncle's hand-me-downs. Plus, giant robots were cooler than a barbarian in his underwear or silly army men with laser.

But I fell out of touch with the franchise in the mid-90's. In high school (around 2001), I got the itch to start buying some of my old toys (or rather, buying the ones I never got back then like Shockwave), and that was when I came back. But I consider my real emergence into the fandom as the point where I bought Cryotek and RiD Scourge, that was when I realized there was more to it than just a rose-tinted cartoon and some expensive second-hand toys.

11. Killamarshan

Killamarshan Iacon Tourist

I was a kid in the 80s and got suckered in by the craze like most kids - difference being I never suckered out. I had a few Gobots but in about 84 was bought Thundercracker and never looked back.

The comic book captured my imagination more than the show ... which is no bad thing seeing as how it outlived it by some fair distance.

12. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    +1.

I was a young boy when I was first exposed to Transformers at my local toy store. I had no idea what they were all about and was not all that interested in them to begin with. After picking one up (G1 Octopunch) purely on a whim ("Ooh! Ooh! He's got a cute round head!"), I realized from his bio and Tech Specs that these toys were representations of diverse and interesting characters from a rich fictional universe. That they were fun and ingenious toys in their own right was just icing on the cake. So I started delving into the Marvel G1 comics and was instantly hooked (I tried the cartoon later, but could never bring myself to like it). The rest is history.

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Beast Wars.

14. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Started from the beginning...I think it started with the comics first - a 3-parter but because sales was so good, Marvel kept extending and extending it. Some of the stories and comic covers were really eye0catching like issue 4, showing Shockwave.

After that it was the cartoons - More than Meets the Eye? I recalled watching the comics and felt so amusing by it...the comics had a more serious tone to it.

15. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Reborn Comics Fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Saw some Energon and Cybertron as a kid, I think I also saw some RID but I'm not sure. Saw TF07 and loved it, got into G1 and went on from there.

16. OptimusGinrai

OptimusGinrai Is Not The Breakman

RID. Hell ya. I still remember the fun of watching it on Fox Kids...

17. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

Watching Beast Wars while at my Grandma's house. She saw that I really liked it and gave me a G1 Optimus Prime that used to belong to one of my uncles.

18. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Watched G1 when I was a kid, but largely forgot about Transformers after that.

Transformers Prime brought me back into the fold big time.

19. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I was a little boy in the 80s. I got my first figure in '84 and stayed with the line up until Micromasters came out (although, even as an eight-year-old, I could tell that the line was going downhill when the first Pretenders came out). After that I moved on. I was aware of G2 but didn't pay it much mind. Beast Wars surprised the hell out of me one day when I was at a family gathering and saw some of my little cousins watching it (I thought Optimus Primal was the dumbest damn name ever - I have since changed my mind). I didn't actually get back into the toys until RiD came out, and that was only a reaction to finding all my old TFs in a storage bin. Went out the next day, picked up Sideburn and X-Brawn, and haven't looked back since.

20. The New Order

The New Order Well-Known Member

beast wars