How did you feel about all the "rolling"??

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by darthrage, Feb 10, 2009.

1. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    the weight/gravity issue was dealt with well. Example: Optimus slowly gaining speed when he is runnin away from sector 7 and then him taking some time to stop when Bonecrusher is running behind him.

2. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    the weight/gravity issue was dealt with well. Example: Optimus slowly gaining speed when he is runnin away from sector 7 and then him taking some time to stop when Bonecrusher is running behind him.

Sorry, double post

3. Deadsled

Deadsled Energon Recovery

News Credits:
    as far as the rolling before or after transforming, i think it's used to gain/lose momentum. driving at speed and then tf'ing seems like an immediate face plant without some way to lose the momentum. and vice versa running a few steps before tf'ing would get you moving before you land on your tires.

4. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

I like the rolling.

It makes sense as walker-based ground robots would be sitting ducks and easily picked apart by air-based flying vehicles. It is as simple as that. Starscream could strafe the shit out of the autobots forever until they are dead simply because he flies and they don't.

The rolling gives ground-based bots extreme mobility which makes it actually seem viable as an offensive choice opposed to all ground bots being default inferior to flying bots. So I can see why "wheelbots" is a more common thing in robot design because it makes sense in the post-G1 era where Autobots are not simply non-military worker frames and that origin is not part of the series... Even Animated has caught on to this.

5. AMG

AMG Old School

I like that they have a great amount of agility, and use it often. It adds a lot to the action scenes.

6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

We're all geeks here so we can argue just about anything. I mean once you've survived some of the Star Trek debates there is nothing you can't handle no matter how abstract. :lol 

7. Burn_Out

Burn_Out Active Member

I personally think its cool. The rollin and agility was realistic to me. I look at them like they're football players. I've seen plenty of 230 pound men move like beasts, so why cant a robot who should be able to handle it's own weight.

8. agesthreeandup

agesthreeandup Energon Supplier

News Credits:
    BB just rolled when transforming from car to robot in the Chicago auto show promo

9. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

like someone else mentioned, they are not powered by muscle, any machine can do anything as long as it has the power behind it so a huge robot like ratchet...or even devestator for that matter can jump in the air and do some flips and spins just as easily a smaller robot since they might have the parts needed inside to do it. A human body builder has the same muscles, bones, ligaments, etc etc as every other human on the planet so they are handicapped in what they can do. A robot such as a transformer can be bery very different inside compared to others and can be designed to be more effecient in more than one area because of it.

a good example would be the saab aero-x....it has somethign lik 500hp but also gets great gas mileage...there are other cars that are the same size that have the same power but worse gas mileage an vice versa because they dont have the parts needed...you can very easily upgrade those vehicles though to do what you want

10. Mooseakolopsatron

Mooseakolopsatron Well-Known Member

Exactly. Plus, Ratchet entered the shot with speed, so for all we know he just transformed and jumped the same way Jazz did.

11. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    when the camera is up close, they move very quickly to show off their agility

when the camera is far away, especially during those Prime running scenes, they are slower to show off the weight and gravity.

They're simple camera tricks that can give the illusion that these robots, while weighing several tonnes can move however they want.

Sound effects and shaking the camera as they hit the ground helps as well. Like when Skorponok's pincers landed on the ground right before he drilled through the dessert sand in his escape, the camera shook and you hear a loud thud

12. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

I see your point but who is to say what level of gravity the Transformers are used to? Perhaps Cybertron's gravity is greater than ours.

13. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

if cybertron is made out of metal all the way through it almost undoubtedly has a LOT more gravitational force