How did you end up liking robots?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by megatroptimus, Jul 9, 2007.

1. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    What's your story?

I remember growing up watching Grendizer in the early '80s. I remember that I wanted to build robots when I was going to be older. Never had a Grendizer action figure though.

Then I started watching Transformers and the Go-Bots in 1984-1985 and I was hooked. I got G1 Optimus Prime for my birthday and the rest is history. Also got a few Go-Bots (like the Command Center).

I think I watched the show until I was 12 or 13. My last Transformers was G1 Scorponok. That was summer 1987 I believe. Then nothing for years, I completely forgot about the existence of Transformers toys and shows.

In 1996, I was watching the french version of YTV when I saw that CGI big black gorilla... that turned into Optimus!!? Watched the show a bit, hated it, but my roomate got me BW Tarantulas for my birthday. Thought the toy was lame, my older toys, although less articulated, were much better. I think I remember coming across RID AA Optimus Primal and not being too impressed with those beasts that were too different from the Transformers of my childhood. I forgot about Transformers again.

Fall 2003, I was working as a delivery man for a restaurant and that guy was a huge Transformers fan and made me realized that newer G1-esque Transformers were out (Armada and Energon?) that there were websites and stuff. I sold him a bunch of my G1 toys for closing to nothing (Grimlock, Motormaster, another Stunticon and probably more for only $20-30). Still, I picked up a few pieces. I remember buying Energon Hot Shot, Energon Inferno, Emilie got me the saber combiner, I got Armada Nemesis Prime, Armada Hoist and that's about it.

Spring 2004, we moved to Vancouver, BC. As we were shopping for stuff for our new appartment, I came across my first Alternator at Wal-Mart. It was Sideswipe. I was in complete awe. Now THAT was a real Transformers. I bought it, and also got Universe Ratchet. A few weeks later, I got Alternators Smokescreen. Then I found out a little store that had a few Transformers and I started talking the guy into trading some of my remanining older TFs for a 20th anniversary Prime, reissue Megatron and Alt. Silverstreak. Huge mistake : I gave him all I had, including a complete G1 Trypticon and my complete G1 Scorponok. Yikes. But at the time, I was happy and all I was good.

Then I heard about that little store in Vancouver called Ages 3 and Up. That was my little paradise. Tons of Transformrers I had NEVER seen. Started buying stuff on Ebay, message boards. Then found out about Toy Traders in Surrey for more G1 goodness. And then Ultra Action Toys in Richmond for Japanese Transformers and high-end transforming stuff like Yamata, SOC, etc.

Here I am a few years and 250 mechas later. Yikes.

2. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Well I always had toy robots mixed with dolls and stuffed animals. One of my first robots was "My Pal 2" lol I loved that thing. But as for transformers it was Beast Wars because I always loved animals. Also when I was younger I had this Mcdonald happy meal toy that was a dinosaur that transformed into a milkshake, I loved that thing too lol, never knew it was a transformer til someone mentioned the old happy meal toys on the board.

3. IronhideTF

IronhideTF Give Stare Over There.-->

Hearing about the movie and watching the trailers got me into it, and after that i got some Transformers, i was like what can be cooler than Vehicles Transforming into Robots. then I heard the word "G1", SO I went on Searching of what it was so I came to know its the Original Generation 1 Transformers. afterwards i got the Transformers played with them a bit and now I'm in love with them. thats about it :D 

4. chocula78

chocula78 Satellite Systems Engr TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    It was either Voltron or TFs that got me into robots. I can't remember which one exactly. I also watched GoBots, but TF's were way cooler. I also had a bunch of the die cast Godaikin bots from Japan. They worth mucho bucks now :) .

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Beast wars did it for me.

The fact that this seemingly regular animal could turn into a robot was mind boggleing. Plus, to learn these robots could talk fuently, had feelings, and could fight was awesome! And still is!

6. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

Similar story for me. I started with Tranzor Z (Americanization of Mazinger Z) in the early 80's. Are you sure that's not what you watched, Megatroptimus? I used to play with Starscream, my first TF as Tranzor Z because he had similar coloration.

I fell in love with TFs as soon as I saw the cartoon, and was with 'em for the whole line. I loved Voltron also, but somehow I managed to miss Robotech entirely. Believe it or not, I had never heard of it until high school. I've loved giant robots ever since.

Later on, when I was in high school I got hooked on DBZ, and watched it every day, so I had the opportunity to get hooked on Gundam Wing when Cartoon Network broadcast it. I watched all of the Gundam stuff I could get my hands on. Some of it I liked, a lot I didn't, but I loved Gundam Wing and 8th MS Team.

20th Anniversary Prime brought me back into the TF fold, and the distribution issues brought me onto the net.

7. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    The show I watched really was Grendizer (Goldorak in french). Similar design, different guy. :)  I think there's even an episode where Grendizer actually fights Mazinger (some kind of cameo I guess)!

8. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Power Rangers and beast wars.

9. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

My obsession began with watching G1 when I was a kid...

10. Rama Sha

Rama Sha Tosche Station Pimp

Ebay:
    I was a child of the 80s, you couldn't spit without hitting one kind of toy robot or another.

11. RobotLiz

RobotLiz that's Ms. Robot to you

I remember watching the third season of G1 when I was four. When the movie came out my Dad took me and I freaked out so bad when Prime died that I kept watching, and watching... Oh and there's weird pics of my Dad dressed up like the Tin Man, so I guess that might have something to do with it too.

12. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    What? I don't like robo...I mean, look Arcee came onto me, ok?

OH, you mean the show!

Yeah, umm..grew up on Beast Wars and went from there.

13. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

I was little and liked cars, so I had some Transformers, and they could turn into robots, so I guess I just gradually liked robots, or something. I don't know.

14. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Generation 2 Turbofire and Skram were my first robot toys that I can remember. I just thought it was awesome I could take a trukk and car and make them a robot.
    DtM

15. Leo Primal-2

Leo Primal-2 Well-Known Member

My Friend bought me the Original Power Rangers Megazord for my 4th Birthday and that's when I started liking robots.

16. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

I always have... I can't remember not liking them. I guess Shogun Warriors (from the 70s for you young'uns out there) got me into them.

17. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

One of my favourite films is FORBIDDEN PLANET. It wasn't until later on that I appreciated the intelligent and sophisticated story - As I first saw it when I was really young, it's the image of Robbie the Robot that was burnt into my consciousness (and he survived, yay! I kept thinking the 'monster' would get him.).

Also, a 1975 DR WHO story simply entitled "ROBOT" featured one of the coolest-looking (for the time) mechanoids I'd seen. They made a chunky action figure of the "Kettlewell K-1" and it was one of the first toys I remember having.

18. Soundwave2

Soundwave2 Excitement! My Style!!!

News Credits:
    I'm asian so I believe it was just in my blood since birth

19. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

When I was really young, I was brought up on alot of shows with anthromorphic vehicles or other inanimate objects (Like Thomas the Tank Engine, which was the first thing I ever geeked out on) Because of that I found I really identified more with non-human characters rather than human ones. After going through the Ninja Turtles Phase, I just happened to catch one episode of Transformers on TV one fateful day. It was the G2 version of "More than meets the eye part 1". After that, I was compelled to watch the next episode, and then the next. Before I knew it I was hooked on Transformers. I had become a Transformers fan, and from that, I grew a liking for Robots in general as well.

20. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    G1, Gobots and Voltron started it all for me :)