How did you choose your major?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jnguyen, Feb 9, 2012.

1. jnguyen

jnguyen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I figure I should provide some backstory to my question so here goes. I dropped out in 10th grade due to family problems. Its Been about 4-5 years since then and I'm not 20 yo. I've been working 7 days a week since I dropped out and finally decides to get my GED so I can attend a community college for two Years until I can transfer to a 4 year university. I've always been an A&B student so I'm hoping with hardwork it will payoff.

So my question is how did you choose your major and why? I'm having a hard time deciding what I want to do. I'm currently studying electrical engineering.

2. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) TFW2005 Supporter

Instagram:
    I've always been very gifted at anything art related so it was pretty easy for me. Currently in my last semester to get my BFA degree, then off to NYC for my MFA

3. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    I had taken a year off after high school to work before going to college. It gave me some time to think about what I wanted to do. When I was in school, I was really into art and wanted to go for graphics art. Then I remembered what my 7th grade teacher said "make your hobby your job." My (productive) hobby back then (I wasn't ever going to be a baseball player) was playing around with computers. So that's what I ended up going into for college.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    What are you good at?

What do you want to do with your life?

What do you enjoy?

Basically, the best way to do it (IMO) is to ask yourself where you want to be in 15 years, and work backwards from there. Figure out what kind of career you want to be doing, and then choose a major to prepare yourself for that career. If you don't end up finding that field is for you, repeat the process and switch majors.

5. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Mine was kind of chosen for me. I was in Supply in the Air Force and when I started on my AAS, I was automatically enrolled under Logistics. That rolled over into a Management Studies BS, which will put me in position for an MBA.

6. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

If your not sure, don't go. That's why I never went to university, would have been a massive waste of money.

7. jnguyen

News Credits:
    ^Do you mind me asking what do you do now?

I've always been a quick Learner. I always been good with computer but who hasn't said that. However I do enjoy learning c++ and other languanges. In high-school I use to study that all the time as a hobby but I haven't touch that in years and completely forgot the language. I'm currently relearning it which I love. I also enjoy hard labor and have great hand eye coordination and even thought about a sheet metal worker.

I don't know what I want to do with my life yet but I know I want to have a 5-6 day job with a salary to support myself. I currently work 7 days a week 11am-9pm and just don't like it no more. There no freetime to myself.

Your advice really does help though and expanded my thinking.

8. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Pretty much this. Figure out what you want to be when you grow up and go from there.

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:

Are there academic advisors available to you? You could also look to employment opportunity or vocational support organizations in your area for information or suggestions.

You may also want to talk to people in industry or doing the sort of jobs you want to figure out what they did, as well as if what they're doing is what you really want.

10. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I've been a t-shirt designer for 15 years now. I applied to the art school I went to before I was a senior in high school. Then proceeded to not learn anything my senior year of high school. That was probably the most relaxing/fun year of my life.

11. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

Funny story actually...I had planned on getting a Nursing Degree and as luck would have it mapping out the course study versus scholarship money. I'd have a year left of Nursing versus the money so of course I had to change majors. I went home flipped open the college catalog and it happened to land on Administration of Justice and then I spent the next few years getting that under my belt and Graduated with honors. :lol  Even threatened my parents that if I didn't graduate with Honors I'd be joining the Military and try again a few years down the road, I'm sure they breathed a sigh of relief with the golden tassel attached to my cap.

It's hard to decide on one thing, esp. now that we are so global. I know what it's like to want to do everything at once but for now you need a base to jump from so to speak. Do you like the technology field? Is it something you can see yourself doing in 5 years, 10 years? Tech is nice because of its consistent evolution, hence always something new to learn. I know its hard to feel everything out at once but if the sight and scent of blood aren't for you that pretty much rules out the Medical and Police as careers, besides, tech fields pay better.

Just wanted to add to a couple of more thoughts to my post...

My Father always told me that having a College degree under your belt was a marketable skill. He always said it meant that you were: Trainable, which is true some of the positions I have held in the past I doubt I would have had, had it not been for that degree.

My other thought and this one is from taking the low road. Make sure that you end up with a 4 year degree in something useable/ marketable. Tech would a good field for that or medical. I can only use mine to give me a better shot at career in law enforcement and even then its no guarantee. Best of luck, I hope I've helped more than hindered.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  12. Noise Maker

Noise Maker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm going to college in 2013. I haven't decided on my major yet, either.

I'll most likely get a science-based degree. Right now I'm leaning towards a degree in medical physics, but I also love cell biology.

13. jnguyen

News Credits:
    You have definitely help. Any input is better than non at all. I actually love the tech field and haven't ruled out medical. Im sure it will one day jump at me when the time is right. I'm just trying to figure it out now so I don't waste my time getting a degree that isn't marketable. I'm looking into medical technology at the moment or some way to improve my programming skill with c++

14. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a degree in economics and about half a master's in public administration. I now work in a business unit where everyone has MBA's... guess what, I make more than all of them. My boss wants me to get an MBA or PMP designation, which I have no problem with. Really though when you are looking for a career a lot of it comes down to experience.

15. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

Well for me I've always been good with my hands and computers sort of just fell on my lap. I went to college on a dare and actually ended up liking college since I hated high school. So computers just came natural for me to work on and I've liked it every since then.

16. AnithaPrime

AnithaPrime TURDUKEN

Well I'm not college bound yet, but I plan on going into the medical field, preferably Nursing. I'm pretty good at math and science, and I figure it'd feel good to help people all the time. So I guess go with what you feel good with and something you feel you'll be good at.

17. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am unfamiliar if it is different in Louisiana than it is here in CA. I'm a high school teacher in CA and frequently counsel students on their options, plus my brother also dropped out of high school.
    In CA you don't need a GED in order to go to a community college and then transfer, in fact, it is what my brother is doing right now. He is going to graduate this May from his community college and will be tranferring to San Jose State. Don't get me wrong a GED might help but it kind of becomes a moot point because you would be attending college.

Anyways, it sounds like you already know what you want to do and what your major should be. Major in something you enjoy, and can support yourself on, and don't mind doing every day, if you aren't sure what that is right now then just take general education and it might help you figure out what that is. I'll refer to my bro again as he didn't know what he wanted to major in. He wanted to do journalism, business, theater, etc. After taking some general ed classes, some were in journalism and some were in theater and business. He ended up majoring in business, because a business degree can be used in so many ways and so many careers.

I knew I wanted to be a music major because it's all I did since I was 3 years old was play music, write music, do everything with music. However I was not positive I could support myself, and my decision was made for me my senior year of high school. I had always been a band kid and senior year I finally had room in my schedule to do choir. I made it to the All State Honor Choir and we did this lovely version of Ave Maria and I came back telling my director Meri Pezzoni that the women's choir just had to do this Ave maria that it was gorgeous, etc. And she said "ok, but you have to teach it, and you have to direct it at the concert." At first I thought, no way!! But, I really wanted to do this song in choir so I said sure. She gave me 15 minutes every day in class. She helped me sort out how to teach it, and how to do a lesson plan so that you have a goal everyday of what you wanted to teach in that 15 minutes, etc. At the spring concert, the final concert of the year, in my senior year I got to direct the choir in front of God and everybody. I knew then, that I wanted to be a music teacher, not just a music teacher but a high school choir director. That's what I have done ever since. Of course the budget sucks right now and my job is always in peril or I lose my job, but I highly enjoy what I do challenges and all.

18. jnguyen

News Credits:
    Yeah in Louisiana(Baton Rouge to be exact). A Ged is required to go to a community college. My current goal at the moment is to just go and try to keep a 3.0GPA at least for two years so that I can transfer to Louisiana State University if possible. In the meantime I will give chemical engineering a try since their are many Chemical/Oil plants in the south. I'm very sure when the time is right for me to discover what I want to do it will happen. I use to imagine myself in middle school that in the future I would be an office guy with the fancy suit lol. What major would I have to pursue for that haha.

19. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can honestly say I stumbled upon my major. I didn't really choose it. Rather, some people say it chose me? For whatever reason, friends would always talk to me about stuff. Stuff could be....problems, random thoughts, issues, etc. It was like I was a cathartic outlet for them. At times they would ask for advice too. One day, one of them joked that I should be a counselor/psychiatrist since I was "so good at it." We laughed, but then I thought about it and ended up going to school for a BS in Psychology.

20. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Consulted an ouija board after fifteen hits of whiskey.