How did they miss THAT...?!?!?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Draven, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Hev you ever looked at a Transformer, spotted a glaringly obvious design flaw and wondered how on Eath it got through to the final version?
    For an example of what I mean here, consider this - Universe Hotshot is a decent figure, but his Minicon Jolt can't even stand up properly. If you bend him forward to the limit of his hip articulation he'll stand, but he looks like he's about to vomit.

Does anyone else have any figures they've looked at and just thought to yourself "How the Hell did they miss THAT...?"

2. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Movie 1 Megatron's arm gimmicks.

A spring-loaded fusion cannon and an arm flail that you can't remove from the arm unless you press a switch that's meant for a spring loaded weapon.

It may have been easy to fix, but still, how the hell did they let that fly?

3. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

The great big block of plastic behind ROTF Jolt's head that serves no purpose other than preventing his BALL-JOINTED head from moving. Seriously, WTF? No one noticed that at any point?

4. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It happens to me all the time (I'm rather picky about these things). First that springs to mind is ROTF Deluxe Sideswipe barely being able to stand. I'm sure I can think of more when I put my mind to it, like Universe Ironhide's head looking down into his chest or lack of decent pegging to keep TF:A Blitzwing together properly in jet mode. I think generally it's a lack of pegs on most figures, like the shoulders on ROTF Dirtboss.

And who can forget ROTF Scalpel's legs?

5. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Uni Ironhide is annoying 'cos the problem would have been easily solved by putting his head on a balljoint.

6. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    the thing on the back of Alternity Primes head that I'm not brave enough to remove despite seeing a radicon custom which illustrates very clearly that it improves the figure no end (breathes)

7. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    That's the thing that irks most of all about this stuff: 99% of the time the way to fix it is so obvious and simple that even we can see the solution just a few minutes after identifying a problem.

8. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ROTF Leader Megatron's WHOLE body

9. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Universe Minicon Jolt is a big question mark to me as well.

10. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Universe Ironhide/Ratchet in general.
    Movie Payload. Seriously, they couldn't do anything about the rod sticking out of his back?

11. honcho

honcho It's been a while.

Ebay:
    Universe/Henkei Dinobot. Bitch can't bend his knees in robot mode! All they would have to do is put a notch and it'd be fine, I dunno how they let that go.

12. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Movie Deluxe Brawl shoulder joints. Seriously, this would've been one of the bets figures of the line but they screwed that up.

13. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    can you link me to this solution ide love to see it

14. NotoriousBIC

NotoriousBIC Prime Suspect

That's the engine valve cover in car mode. I would file that under design choice and not a blatant error.

15. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

Desert Attack Brawl is epic.

16. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    G1 Optimus Prime's fist/Gun issue seriously how did they not notice the inability to point the gun straight

17. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The mismatched grey plastic on Universe Cyclonus.

18. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I agree with both of these wholeheartedly. I don't hate the Ratchet/Ironhide mold, but man, it is DEEPLY flawed. There are at least half a dozen things on there that could have been better.

Payload I DO hate, however. :)  A Transformer that cannot be displayed cleanly on a shelf (i.e. no one can stand behind him) does not endear himself. Other than the rod he's not a bad figure, but that thing is a dealbreaker.

Anyhow, as for my addition to this thread, I'll nominate the Universe Minicon Broadside and his repaints. That little dude has tiny feet to begin with, and then they go and mold little rounded bumps on the BOTTOM of his feet. Seriously, was the goal to make a Transformer that couldn't stand up no matter what??? Runner-up status goes to his line-mate Dirt Rocket, who has a similar problem. He can SORT OF stand, but his feet are rounded little rockers. Argh!

Oh, one more... the FAB molds, in general, for their lack of elbows (I'm thinking specifically of Jazz/Smokescreen, but I'm sure others have the same issue). Most of them could have accomodated elbow joints without making the transformation even one iota more difficult, but simply chose to leave them out. Lame. I know the line is for younger kids, but come ON.

19. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

MP Starscream's weak, badly-designed wing joints that are just a time bomb of breakage waiting to happen. Also, a less-known but equally fragile piece is the piece of plastic that forms his rear kibble (the piece that contains the air brake). It attaches to a die-cast rod to the body, with one screw at one end and NO SCREW at the other end. Check your MP Seekers. Chances are you've bent the plastic that keeps the back kibble onto that rod.

20. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    To be fair, it IS part of his character design (see: Wheeljack Primes sig pic on the bottom of the previous page), and would have appeared to be moreso had it been the proper blue, but I digress... that having been said, I agree, the fact that it limits his "supposed to be" articulated head so much, you'd at least think that they would change it somehow.

Anyway, I fixed mine with a dremel grinding tool and about 3 seconds worth of time.