How did the war last so long?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Chaos Prime, May 17, 2012.

1. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

When compared to other Transformers series, the movie Transformers don't seem to have the longevity, or the endurance of the others.
    I mean think about it; in the movies how easy it is for Transformers to get killed in a fight?
    When the war first broke out; how did it not last an hour until the species drove itself to extinction?
    With Sentinals rust cannon alone he could have taken out half an army.
    How did this war last thousands of years?
    I'm surprised Optimus can take the beating he can, all of the other robots drop with the slightest damage.
    So my question is, how did this war last so long? How can the Transformers live thousands of years, but only have 30 second battles?

2. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Extremely large population, offworld empire.

3. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

A ton of fucking dudes and a lot more guys like Shockwave and Brawl among their ranks.

And I imagine Good Sentinel used such a weapon as the rust cannon sparingly.

4. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Or maybe the TF race began with 35 BILLION dudes, and what we don't really see by the end of the movie is that there's only about 25 left. No wonder they want to hang out on Earth.

Correct Answer:
    Nobody gave it any thought. It's a Michael Bay movie. He lives in the moment.
    If you've paused long enough to think about stuff like that, you're doing it wrong, maaaaan.
    :bay 

zmog

5. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Two things.

On Cybertron they had masks so when Prime was going around ripping off faces all he was really doing was ripping off masks.

On Cybertron the Autobots lacked the most powerful thing in the entire universe, humans.

6. megapork

megapork Cheese

This is a statement that just blows my mind.

7. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Well, why not? It was said that Cybertron was home to a large empire. So Civil war, empire being dilacerated etc etc.

8. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    You could interpret Sentinel's line "We were gods once" to imply that cybertronians have fallen quite a bit after exausting their resources (and planet) in a eons-old war.

9. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

Political answer in 3... 2...

But seriously, I'd imagine that there are billions of TFs spread across every galaxy throughout space. I don't think you could end this conflict in one day.

10. legolas grof

legolas grof Cardboard Industries CEO

News Credits:
    :lolol 

11. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Once the Allspark was launched it became trench warfare, with both sides keeping to their own captured territory and occasionally peeking out to shoot at/get shot by the other side.

See: Reign of Starscream.

12. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Short answer - Vehicons.

Long answer - the war lasted thousands of years, kudos to mad scientist like Wheeljack, the latest Hall of Famer.

Wheeljack created 5 Dinobots, of which Grimlock created another 5 Technobots. See where this is going? Population race. Repeat a few times and there's 5^6 which is over 15,000 bots created, thanks to Wheeljack. Look at Sentinel. He is probably 7,000 years old. It will take him 6 months just to sign an autograph. You think he's got that much rust juice to spray all over the Cybertron? Sentinel had just enough to take Ironhide by surprise from hehind. Did we see anyone else rusted? Sentinel ran out quickly. Wheeljack wins the population race any day, hence he's introduced to the HoF.

And so what if madmen Sentinal or Megatron kills half an army. The original 13 just group hugs - BOOM there's your Cybertronian population again. Them 13 dead too? Primus comes out and moves his fingers - reboot.

13. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I'd say..
    - Genericons and Generibots, a long War fought by those [which actually fits the flashbacks, where we just see Protoforms figthing each other], with the "alt-moded" ones like our heroes being the extremely high-ranking dudes.
    - High-ranking 'Cons and high-ranking 'Bots have about the same resistence in the movieverse [Blackout, Brawl, Soundwave, Starscream..].
    - Gunships. Lots of Gunships. And some more gunships. Then Warships...

It is not actually that hard to picture why the War lasted so long.
    We could handwave Sentinel's Weapon as being a custom rarity that can't be manufactured because it is so bloody hard to make. Fits, since he also is a scientist.

14. Crazy Ramjetty

Crazy Ramjetty marvel's got it good

they fought one at a time

15. NighthawkPrime

NighthawkPrime Well-Known Member

Ironhide VS Vehicon.

Fight.

Ironhide Wins.

Fatality.

Toasty. :) 

16. Bluebe6

Bluebe6 Banned

News Credits:
    I honestly can't see Sentinel out there in the battlefield, I'm guessing he was just watching it all happen.

17. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Fixed. ;) 

18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    We're talking about the movies here. No Vehicons, no Dinobots, no Technobots. Hell, no Wheeljack. But the point being, in the movie universe, they can't just build new Transformers like the Dinobots, Technobots or whatever.

19. KayeMinor

KayeMinor Banned

However, there are generic protoforms in the movie, as well as Drones in the comics. The protoforms could just be Transformer hatchlings specially bred and grown faster for combat.

20. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Well you know they never did say Earth years or Cybertronian years so we don't know how many days make up one Cybertronian year.