How did RoTF up the ante?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by AniProwl, Nov 12, 2009.

1. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I want to know. How did it raise the level of story?
    Lets look at some sequals to show my point.
    The obvious one is Empire Strikes Back where the empire gave our heroes a big defeat by destroying their base, capturing the high-ranking Han Solo, and Luke gets his hand cut off while learning the the terrible truth of Darth Vader.

Another one would be Terminator 2 where we get a more threatening robot who is nearly indestructible while the main female protaganist takes a level up in badass.

Another James Cameron flick and sequal is Aliens. Just like Sarah Conner, Ripley takes a level up in badass and noe there are more than one alien including the queen.

Matrix Reloaded also did this with both Neo and Smith being two unstoppable beings with each battle the stakes get higher.

Then, there's all those superhero movies whose sequals are greater thant the first ones.

Again I ask. What did RoTF do to raise the ante?

2. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    It didn't when it comes to the Decepticons.

3. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    The ante was definietely raised. Thing is, it just didn't stay that way and went back to normal at the end, as if it were an episode of a weekly series

4. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Bigger, better ( :lol  ), more badass.

5. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Care to explain how?

Did the Autbots suffer big time despite their victory?

Was the Fallen ( an evil entity with divine powers) and Devastator (a combined robot) as threatning as they seem?

Why was The Fallen seeking revenge?

Like how Wheeljack Prime stated, it only temporarily raised the ante, but then went back to normal at the end, as if it were an episode of a weekly series.

6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

In story no it really didn't raise anything, perhaps actually a step back since it lacked anything like the big reveal of hey my car is really a robot.

It's more of a sequel in the vein of something like the Fast and Furious where story doesn't really matter it's all about upping the spectacle and nothing else. As a spectacle over substance sequel then yes it managed to out do the effects and the shear volume of action over the film before.

7. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I think that the perception of the ante being raised is Prime dying midway through the film. Now, for us, that really isn't much because we know that Prime will come back. We've seen this story before. For the general audience, they didn't know and it was left in doubt until the end.

8. TornadoQuakeX

TornadoQuakeX Decepti-Creep

As far as the Transformers themselves go, they should now be screwed. The last of the Allspark, and now the Matrix of Leadership are both destroyed, and there (should not be) any more sources of Energon. Thus, the Transformers should all die soon. Knowing Bay and his writers they will come up with another witty plan to introduce another "oh this new enemy/source of Energon has been on Earth this whole time!" kind of story for the third movie.

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    What did ROTF do to up the ante? The answer is 'nothing'.

10. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

AfC:

I have to agree. ROTF was all right to watch, but it lost some of the sense of wonder that TF07 had.

That's not something you can rely on in a sequel, though, once the "cat" is out of the bag. They tried to, with things like Reedman, the Doctor, and the Insecticon, but it didn't really work, because it lacked the startling effect of an ordinary car that turns into an alien robot.

It almost worked with Devastator, but I'm not sure, because at that point I was in "B-movie inner-MST mode" and told myself "OH boy, unattended construction equipment, watch out." It didn't help that we'd already seen transforming construction machinery earlier in the film, of course. :) 

The movie did up the spectacle a lot, but it would have had more impact if the characters had engaged the viewers more. It could have been done. I got to like Ratchet and Ironhide during the course of TF07; it was a matter of connecting with preexisting character types, but it worked, and that's the important thing. :) 

11. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    It upped the ante in how much unnecessary crap the writers and ILM can cram in without reason.

But the forest battle and the death of Prime was really cool, and I look forward to seeing how Bay and the writers top that in the next film.

And the Architect. Man, was that scene awesome! ^_^

12. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    The Architect scene was one crazy scene which was awesome.

13. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

It was bigger and more badass.

More robots, more locations more fights more jokes more Megan Fox looking all sweaty. More badass because, well, the action in the first was somewhat lacking when all is said and done.

Was it better?

No sir, it was not. IMO.

14. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    well.......

Story wise:
    There was more deaths caused by the Transformers, and the Decepticons were far more violent towards humans.

The entire world now knows about them.

One of the wonders of the world was partially destroyed, and discovered to have an ancient alien weapon in it.

Then there's the increase in screentime, dialogue and number of robots. We also saw the base of operations for the Decepticons.

15. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

16. Attacker_Prime

Attacker_Prime Optimus Prime forever

How did ROTF change the story? So many points!

1. Showed the origins of Transformers.

2. The Fallen had a backstory, as provided by Jetfire and The Fallen himself.

3. Now humans know of the Transformers.

4. The Fallen, the ORIGINAL Decepticon has died at the hands of Optimus Prime, and if THAT isn't a loss for the Decepticons, I don't know what it is.

5. The Primes brought the movieverse one thing I thought it lacked - mythology. Now with the origins of Transformers, betrayal of Fallen, only a descendant of the Primes can kill an original Prime matters just make for a great story, at least for me.

6. If I tell you why Fallen was seeking revenge, I'd ruin the movie for you.

7. Need I go on?

17. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    That's kind of obvious.

"The entire world now knows about them."

And no one saw what happened in Mission City in the last film, right?

"One of the wonders of the world was partially destroyed, and discovered to have an ancient alien weapon in it.["

Just like a Roland Emmerich film

"Then there's the increase in screentime, dialogue and number of robots. We also saw the base of operations for the Decepticons."

How many of those robots were given development. I count six of the forty (Optimus, Bumblebee, the twins (shudders), Jetfire, Megatron, and Starscream) that were in the foreground. After a whole movie with some decent developement, Ironhide and Ratchet got shoved to the side.

Big whoopey-doo. We saw the Decepticon base which was a mess.

18. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

AnP:

Therefore, TF3 will need to address this problem by introducing French-maid robots.

19. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Yea I think Devastator was really their shot at that oh wow moment like when we first saw Blackout, Bumblebee, or Prime transform. It could have been one of those moments like Jurassic Park when we see the dinosaurs or King Kong when we get to see the big ape at last. Somehow they just missed that moment of wonder. Hard to say exactly why they missed it but it just didn't seem all it could have been.

But yes it's tough get that oh wow back in later films. Star Wars managed it with the bombshell of Luke I am your father but films like the Matrix could never recapture that magic of the first film.

Fingers crossed that when they consider what they need for a third movie they work in some of those wow moments that stand out as one of those cool moments in film even after effects have moved on to something better.

20. johnboy3434

johnboy3434 Well-Known Member

I think it's safe to assume that "up the ante" simply meant more robots and even more fighting. I don't see anyone would expect it to mean anything else. I mean, character development? When has that EVER been a priority?