How did non-G1 fans view the movie?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by bushboy, Jul 7, 2007.

1. bushboy

bushboy Hardcore Decepticon

It's obvious that the people who grew up during G1 are going to be very insanely critical about this, a few of them refusing to accept new things. But some of us here either did not grow up with G1 or jumped on the Transformers bandwagon on Beast Wars or RiD or the Unicron Trilogy. So was it much easier to enjoy the movie because you weren't scanning for even the minor deviation from G1. If you've seen G1, but didn't grow up with it, does that change your opinion? I grew up in the Beast era so it was easier for me to just sit back and enjoy the movie. I've seen the '86 movie and am halfway through the G1 cartoon.

2. Ritesh_Prime

Ritesh_Prime THE PHIL!

News Credits:
    Well I am 16 and I was pretty much brought up on G1, didn't watch much of Beast Wars until recently. I watched some of Armada, but when they brought in Unicron I was like "Uhh no..."

Cybertron had the worst Unicron EVER!

But, I wasn't to botherd, I don't care if its a G1 movie, or not, was still awesome lol.

3. Kenji

Kenji Well-Known Member

yeah I didn't grow up nor seen G1 but since watching the movie which imo kicked ass it has made me wanna see G1 and now am about to by the boxsets.

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    My Livejournal friends page is full of people who aren't even remotely into Transformers, who went to see the movie and absolutely LOVED it.
    Personally I grew up with G1, but I do recognise the need for a revamp and I am very happy with the results.

5. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    The way some people that I know that grew up on G1, I'm glad that I didn't. I veiwed the movie like it should be, like it's a whole new thing, and has nothing to do with anything prior to it, unless the movie I happen to be watching is a sequel, lol.

6. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron FFFF

I took my friend who has never really been into Transformers and he liked to. I was brought up on Beast Wars and I loved it.

7. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My buddies who grew up on G1 enjoyed it and causal movie buddies enjoyed it too ...we all we . We could understand the need for the redesigns but 2 things bothered us:

1. shaky cam. Even members of the audiences were mentioning about this and er, I've viewed this 4 times! XD Took me awhile before I make out stuff like limbs being blown off etc.

2. exo-skeleton designs on some of the characters like Bonecrusher made it hard to see what was going on. For example, what were the limbs etc.

8. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    i was raised on g2 stuff... which was just g1 with some bad 3d animation... and beast wars... i liked armada and energon too, cybertron kinda killed it
    anyway
    i got 2 of my friends who were into none of these generations into it by watching the movie
    now thats got to mean something, these are people who even hate all of bays movies and liked what he did here

9. Ace96

Ace96 Well-Known Member

I grew up on G1. I honestly thought the movie was fantastic, much better than what I expected. I had trouble with the designs at first but after the toys and then watching the movie, I wouldn't change a thing as far as designs. The Autobots all had their G1 traits which was a big plus for the movie. I have one minor complaint........missing having true decepticons instead of the I am here for the movie and die decepticons. Calling Shockwave, Soundwave, Thundercracker...etc.

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    my dad has always kind of looked down on me for still being a TF fan at 25. we saw the movie together wednesday and that silenced him. he loved every second of it, and later checked out my movie TF figures.

11. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    That is kinda cool. My parents have never understood my collecting habits, they thing it is a waste of money and time, so I know where you are coming from.

Plus my dad would never see the movie.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I'm not a G1 fan and I loved the movie! It was awesome!

13. mblase

mblase Well-Known Member

Both of my brothers were familiar with the original Transformers, but neither one kept buying them into adulthood like I did. An each of them, independently, went to an opening-night 8pm show and thought it was terrific. (One brother, the former Air Force soldier, seemed more impressed by the accuracy of the military tactics than the giant fighting robots.)

14. Ingraman

Ingraman Active Member

I love G1 robot designs, though I've barely watched the series, so I guess I fall into this category. I enjoyed the movie more than I thought I would. The humor worked much better than I expected. The opening scene was a huge disappointment, but it was saved by Sam's storyline. Also loved the first introduction of the Autobots. That was probably the biggest "wow" scene for me. Towards the end though, it got to the point where there was too much going on. Overall, I'd probably give it a solid C+.

15. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I love G1, but I also love the movie.

16. Rick_Coronel

Rick_Coronel Owner of many customs

Ebay:
    I was raised thru Gen 1 being that I'm 22. Got introduced to it by my Uncle at 87'-88' because he would draw me Transformers in both forms and also the reason I got into GI Joes. He passed the whole series and movie to me on VHS before he passed in 91' so I guess you could say I'm a Gen 1 fan I also loved Beast Wars and had that on VHS in the 90's but I really loved the movie. It brought back a lot of my memories from childhood.

17. Finbot74

Finbot74 Dis-Member

I've loved G1 since I recieved my first Optimus Prime for Christmas in 1984 or 85. I loved the movie just as much.

18. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    I went again, today, with my buddy, and his wife. My wife tagged along cause grandma asked to watch the kids. I didn't think she'd like it much, but she did. Enough in fact, that she wants to take the kids to see it tommorrow again.

19. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My dad never really liked my hobby of collecting TFs. So I took him to see the movie. My dad can now name every movie TF I have that appeared on-screen.

He also said that, "Megatron is one bad motherfucker."

20. Quickswitch

Quickswitch Assault Warrior

One of my co-workers saw it & he's 2 years older then me & he thought it kicked ass ("off the chain!" were his exact words) & a teenage girl who works at a local Bagel store saw it too & she thought it was "awesome!". So the "normies" seem to like it. That means sequels baby! :cool: 

YES, I totally agree with you. I just saw the movie again tonight (my 2nd time) & the whole camera shaking made it difficult to see wtf was going on. I know they're trying for that "realistic" look, but it's too frickin' difficult to pick out just wtf is going on in some scenes due to it. When the DVD comes out, I'm gonna have to watch some of the combat scenes at a slower frame rate just to pick out what's what.

Yeah, true. I think Bonecrusher was, actually, much easier to see due to him being in the light AND in that slow-mo tackle scene with Prime. Brawl was almost impossible to get a good look at during the fighting, but sicnce it was a long fight it made it easier to get repeat glances at him to form a picture in your head. Plus looking at the toy helps too. :D 

My dad's the same way with me & I'm 2 years older then you. I don't think he likes me buying toys, mostly cause he doesn't understand that I can do this and be a "grown up". He doesn't seem to understand that adults who like toys are the ones who make this stuff in the first place; who'd he think made all the toys when I was a kid? Other kids? Elves??

He hasn't seen the movie yet, but maybe after he sees it he'll have a similiar view on them that your dad did. Plus, my dad's into cars, so I think a movie about cars that turn into robots would be the perfect meeting of our two intrests.

:lolol 

Awesome duder! :thumb 

I have my Autobots in car mode on a shelf down stairs, so I wonder if after he sees the movie, will he pass them & be like "Wait a second...those cars look familair...:peoples:  ".

-Quickswitch