How did it feel getting your first pre release figure?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SoundMaster, Feb 16, 2009.

1. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    How did it feel getting your first pre release figure/Stolen Chinese toy?

How did you feel knowing that you had a figure in a line that is not even released, and only a few other people in the world have him?

I ask this question beqause I thought it would be fun. I have my first pre release figure on the way. It's Dirtboss and I am very excited, waiting for it to arrive.

Did it feel cool knowing you have it early, or did it feel like buying any old toy from retail?

2. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My first (and so far only) pre-release was Universe Inferno back in October. Was pretty stoked to get it early, even moreso now Hasbro UK decided to (unhelpfully) skip the wave he came in.

3. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Yep, got him at the same time as you did. It was nice doing it once, but I can't see myself doing it again. While he is a great figure and I have no regrets, I just couldn't do it all the time for the "I got it first" bragging rights, I just couldn't afford it.:lol 

4. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It was fun! Though I quickly learned that "pre-release" is a square term. "Stolen Chinese Toys" gets you girls because it's got gangster chic. :cool: 

5. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Mine was Animated... Starscream, Bulkhead, Prime and Bumblebee, all at once :lol  it set the tone for time to come ;) 

Last one I bought was Universe Cyclonus, but that was about UK RRP :D 

6. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

My only figure which could qualify as pre-release is the Animated Lockdown I won from a local radio station raffle at Botcon 2008. I'm not sure that even the early released wave of Animated toys for the Cincy area had gotten there yet, so winning the toy was nice at the time for me, because I'd won something from a big event, but I still wasn't sold on the Animated asthetic around the time.

Go figure it was that Lockdown who sold me on the series. Although my friend eventually got one himself, it was fun drving him nuts because I owned an animated toy and he didn't:lol 

7. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    Getting a figure early = fun factor = moderate to high
    Watching people wait for the release = fun factor = moderate to high
    Watching people envy you = fun factor = moderate to high
    Toy having an incomplete deco = moderate to high
    Toy release being delayed = fun factor = high
    Toy being modified for the release = fun factor = high to very high (example: Universe Hound with black vs green arms)
    Toy being a very limited release = fun factor = very high (example: Universe Aveo Swerve)
    Toy release being cancelled = fun factor = through the roof (example: Universe Smokescreen - Armada Hot Shot redeco)

8. SoundMaster

News Credits:
    I still can't even find U Inferno or Overload. My bro was lucky enough to find 2 though.

I was really close to cracking and buying A Lockdown for $20-25 pre release. I'm glad I didn't, because they were sighted only a few days after that.

9. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Mine was Animated Voyager Prime. First and only one.

I was VERY satisfied.

10. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    i have about 7 now...tis good!

11. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

It felt like buying them at retail. Though it was seriously awesome to have it without the wait. For me, it's not about bragging rights, it's about "I can't wait six friggin months."

12. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Gotta go w/Vangelus here, pre-release sounds like a more professional term but stolen chinese toys sounds way cooler. As for my experiences, it is fun, especially since I haven't seen Universe Inferno in stores anywhere saving me much grief and angony(Unlike my unending hunt for an Animated Skywarp)

13. SoundMaster

News Credits:
    Just like I couldn't wait 5 months for Spoons the second.

5 FRIGGIN MONTHS!

14. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

my only pre-release action was the 2 target re-colors of Ratchet and Lockdown. It felt pretty cool knowing that I get them well before thier release date, but I still havent opened them. I even went back and get another set (at full price) when they were officially released so I could open them and still have a set MISB. As of yet I havent opened any of them. It was pretty cool though. I havent ever paid anything over retail for any of the current lines out now. It doesnt make sense to me pay alot of money only to get a toy shipped fromChina without any packaging just to say "I got it first". Some people are into that and more power to em. Its just not for me.

15. Darth Rodimus

Darth Rodimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    mine was the first ani deluxes, it felt awesome!

16. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It felt like it never happened at all!

17. Autobot_Lancer

Autobot_Lancer Just call it Smokescreen

ok what i want to know is how do you get a pre-release figure. is this kinda like what those guys on you tube get that do the reviews on the figures? sorry if i sound dumb just always kinda wondered on this subject.

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I got a few early Animated toys (Voyager and Leader Bulkhead, Voyager Optimus Prime, Grimlock). Some feel more "worth it" than others, based on the price versus the 'gain' from having a new toy earlier than stores. Many of my pre-releases were different or flawed compared to in-store (Bulkheads were missing screws or other superficial parts, but Prime had more solid shoulder joints than the store-bought - the earlier ones anyway)

Overall, Voyager Bulkhead gave me the best value-for-money, as shipped it only cost about ten bucks over the price to get it in a store. It was missing a couple screws in the arm, which were easily replaced, but the real benefit was getting the toy months before the official release, even well ahead of the early stock for Botcon in Cincinnati.

19. Iron Spider-Man

Iron Spider-Man Banned

News Credits:
    Some of them have been totally worth it. RotF Soundwave, Animated Wreck-Gar, Universe 2.0/Classics Nemesis Prime.

Some of them I wished I could go back in time and slap myself. Universe 2.0/Armada Hot Shot... uh... that's about it actually.

And sometimes the sellers decide not to give you the stuff you won because they're upset it went for so little. Word of advice: Never buy from jenny's world or whatever, menasor1979 (who apparently is no longer registered on eBay) and psikyo1974cw, who is the same person.

20. SoundMaster

News Credits:
    Ebay. Just type in TF movie 2, and walla. I got Dirtboss for $20, much more than the $7.00 at retail, but then I have the benefit of having the toy 4-5 months before the official release.