How did both Transformers movies lose an Oscar in Sound Editing/Mixing?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Tyrannosaur, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

I'm not sure how the Oscars choose a winner in the categories "Sound Editing" and "Sound Mixing" exactly, but to me it seems that more effort is put into making sounds that are very alien like (Such as the movements and transformations of each Transformer.) than regular sounds like gun fire in Bourne Ultimatum and The Hurt Locker.
    Granted I enjoyed both movies (Bourne? eh, not so much.) but I don't see how they won over Transformers.

I'm not sure if it's just Bay-hate that many claim to be the reason or if it's something else. Could someone explain how it works exactly?

2. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They don't care about how much effort when into something, nor do they care about the things like gun fire or alien sounds. At least, they don't care about them more than anything else.

It isn't "Best Original Sound Effects." It is "Acheivement in Sound Editing" and "Acheivement in Sound Mixing." It is how the sound is used to enhance the movie experience. At the end of the day, the people voting felt those films deserved the Oscar more.

Did they do it because of an anti-Bay sentiment? I don't know, you would have to poll them.

3. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    It's the f*cking Bay hate.

I loved the Hurt Locker, (didn't see Bourne), but why? How did those win over Transformers? TF had WAY more interesting sounds and everything than the basic gun fire noises.

4. Tyrannosaur

Maybe you're right Dran0n. I still don't see how The Golden Compass won over Transformers in CGI.

5. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Le sigh...

The movie didn't win anything, we're not part of the judging process, and therefore it must be the "I hate Michael Bay" movie conspiracy. My bigger question is why even keep bringing this up? At the end of the day, an Oscar in these categories pretty much means nothing to the average movie goer. It's not like someone would rent the movie because it won those awards much less bring up the award in discussion of the movie.

6. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I don't know how the Golden Compass even got nominated. That was a horrible movie!

7. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    Well, to be fair, Transformers isn't exactly the next great American movie classic.

8. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It doesnt need to be to be great, at least not yet

9. mttyns

mttyns Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually, I can see why they may not have won. The difference between loud and soft sounds is way too great. During the action sequences any dialogue is all but drowned out by the music and sound effects. The dialogue from the voice actors is disproportionately louder than that of the live actors in many scenes and always feels a bit off kilter to me (when the Autobots are in Sam's back yard and Ironhide offers to rid him of Mojo comes to mind straight away).

So there might be some great sound effects in there, but I'm not sure the final mix deserves any awards.

10. Rogzilla

News Credits:
    ^^^bingo^^^

11. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

This I know, however, GC was below them in my book, even ROTF.

12. jamjam101

jamjam101 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

yea but throughout the rest of both movies (mission city and forrest battle) the mixing was incredible. the ballance of all the effects, and the quite and loud sounds comming in and out during the right times. perticularly in mission city, with so much going arround, everytime you watch it and pay attention to just a specific part of the screen, you WILL hear the sound of a particular part.

like in mission city, right by the end with prime says "sam, put the cube in my chest now!". there is soo much going on, the music is in balance with the dialogue, but you can still hear megatrons' claws scratching the asphalt, and the F6's flying by. its very loud and busy in that scene, but every bit of sound detail is there in a concettic balance. the hurt locker was just quite. that's all.

13. Tyrannosaur

^Good point. I'm very surprised Jablonsky didn't get nominated for his soundtracks either.

14. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

The movies didn't win anything. It's in the past. What can you do? I mean, are a couple of Oscars going to enhance your enjoyment of these movies? There are plenty of good films during the Academy's 82-year span that didn't win an award, much less were nominated for one.

15. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

This gives me the rage.

Don't get me started.

Just. Fucking. Wrong.

16. Rogzilla

News Credits:
    But you see, if the film won for even a technical award, people can say "Oscar Winning film Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen." It is a qualification. I know, I have been there with other films I have liked but everyone else kept telling me were bad. If the Oscars acknowledged SOMETHING about the film, then it would justify me liking the film. It would give me something to latch on to and give as an example as to why I liked the film.

I dont know if this is the case with the people in this thread, it might just be on a subconcious level (it was in my case) but it would make a lot of sense.

17. Satomiblood

I feel a lot of the sound was drowned out by the overly loud and heroic music. The scenes in Shanghai, particularly when Prime was riding on the bridge with Demolishor approaching, lacked the "oomph" that I was expecting.

Watch the end of the teaser trailer (@1:47). That part was much more effective without the music.

ROTF Teaser Trailer

I'm not sure if removing some of musical overlays would've helped them win this year's category. I'm just going by my own personal preference.

18. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

How many sound engineers are there on this thread anyway ?

lol

Explosions and gun fire which are horribley prevalant in both films do not make for great sound mixing actually the more of it you have it can detract from a film. Actually there is so much to an extent it does detract from the films high points. But the cybertronian voice sound mixing and things to that nature also dont have a definition so it can really be just garbage they cycled through an FX mixer enough that you dont have to worry about being creative.

Placement timing and quality are all equal. Transformers is just an auditory assault using tons of pans to give you the wow feeling but it never really enhances the film. One great part I thought though was when megatron says his name in TF1 the addition of the low end to drive the bass with every syllable was very cool. Which is why I say you could have had anyone including frank do the voice and it would have sounded great on that mix.

Sound quality doesnt equate creativity and complimentary.

19. Satomiblood

I'm a sound engineer.

20. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I always found categories like this one to serve no purpose other than to increase the award count for pictures that win in the bigger categories. It sounds cooler to say you won multiple Oscars instead of just one.