How could Robin work in modern times?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Sonscreen, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

Some co-workers and I were having some fun busting on the old campy Batman series. One of the things we talked about was how the heck could Robin survive in modern times. I couldn't think of a good answer. The idea of a sidekick in a red, green and yellow outfit just doesn't inspire fear even if he is trained in martial arts.

The best I could think of was have Dick Grayson go straight to the Nightwing outfit. What do you folks think?

2. Grimlocks Pretender Shell

Grimlocks Pretender Shell Member of the Church of Quake.

Robin is supposed to inspire fear?

3. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I always liked the Tim Drake version of the Robin outfit. His cape was just yellow on the inside & all the colors were not very bright so more easily beliveable he could be running around at night and not stand out.

4. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Robin doesn't inspire fear, but he is underestimated by the bad guys. I saw a comic recently that sorta addressed this actually... Batman was making some observation about how the 'cannon fodder' would suffer physical and emotional trauma by getting beat up by an annoying child.

5. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I always wondered if it isn't considered a bit ruthless, that Batman lets a child run around at night fighting against criminals. In real life, Batman and Robin must be real psychos.

6. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    You just now realized Batman is crazy?

7. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    No, but Robin has to be crazy as well. The way he grew up was even more fucked up than Batman's. Batman had all his life to become what he is, but Robin started his childhood with Batman's way of life. Not exactly how a little boy should grow up.

8. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you've ever read Watchmen, the character Rorschac was specifically intended to show just how much of a Psycho characters like Batman would be if they existed in the real world.

9. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    This. The darker reds and greens, plus the cape which was black on the outside gave him a very different look. It was also the version used early on for Dick Grayson on TAS.

The TAS Tim Drake costume, which drops the green in favour of more black works even better.

10. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    A very young Robin wouldn't work, but someone in his teens probably would. I think having Robin play a similar role to what Ed Brubaker retconned for Bucky would be pretty good - an advance scout/recon, and just have him carry a lot of gadgets for such or for distractions. People would underestimate a kid.

11. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Actually Blue Beetle, I mean Night Owl, is the Batman type character. Rorschach is a jab at Steve Ditko's Radian beliefs (Alan Moore being the hippie that he is). The Question and Mr. A rolled into one.

12. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I think what he meant to say was that Rorsarch was a psycho like Batman i.e. grim gritty, focused on fighting crime, and not a Batman-type character :) 

13. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    A robn is not the frightnening bird...

14. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

I think this was actually sort of addressed in one of the movies from the Batman:Advanced series (or whatever it was called, the one that took place in the future and Bruce was an old guy).

In the movie, which I think was called "Return of the Joker", it actually has robin get kidnaped by Harley Quinn and the Joker and they aparently do some...disturbing things to make him into a mini-Joker look-alike (it was dark and creepy, to say in the least, but the movie thankfully does not go into detail). After Batman and Batgirl rescue Robin, they mention that the psychological trauma (or something to that nature, I haven't seen the movie in years) was a main reason why Robin stopped fighting crime.

I won't try to spoil too much, but let's just say that's a very relevant detail to the plot of the movie.

15. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Dick had his sights set on vengeance the moment his family were murdered. He'd have gone out to avenge them no matter what. Without Bruce's guidance and training, Dick would probably have wound up totally consumed by hate. He'd have become a loose cannon and joined his family in death pretty quick.

16. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

And he'd still be wrong. Not mention missing the point about Rorschach. He's the Raidan ideal of a moral absolutist. Something Batman never engages in, ever.

17. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Read Robin year one, Tim Drake's original 6 issue Mini, or Dark Victory. Robin works fine.

18. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    You're wrong. Straight from the horse's mouth

19. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Sooooooo...he'd become Jason Todd?

- Coeloptera

20. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I only seem to like Robin when he is dead.