How Could Roadbots Be Better?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    I think there ok as long as they are in there car modes, the robot modes kinda look odd to me? So better robot modes overall.

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Hey guys, I just wanted to apologize for the above quote, as I'm just now trying to wrap up things with this thread. I've been working on taking the [useful] comments from this thread, creating a document, and preparing to contact Happy Well again. I will keep all of you interested updated.

Just a side note, if you're not interested in the subject of this thread (1:24 Roadbots and how Happy Well can make them better), please move along. Others don't enjoy (or need) the "Happy Well shouldn't make anything" comments and I sure don't enjoy weeding through them for the original purpose of this post. I'd simply suggest rereading the forum rules #11, 12, and 13 if you don't agree. Thanks :) 

3. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

Folks:

I have a bunch of the 1:32 Roadbots: Pajero, GT, Murcielago, blue Celica, green Supra, and yellow Lancer. They are all awesome and I love their designs, which are more Transformery than a lot of off-brand robots (which tend to be influenced by Bandai). At the same time, they have a lot of unique features and themes, like the aquatic theme of the Celica and the birdlike look of the Murcielago. A lot of the transformation mechanics are interesting and unusual. The Supra is a good example of this.
    They come with lots and lots of cool weapons, which is great, too.

My major trouble is - what do I call them? They're not Transformers, but they have way too much originality to be slighted as "knockoffs". Hastaktomy does not have, and never has had, an exclusive right to produce transforming robots, and they weren't even the first to do so.

My suggestions are like most of the non-sorehead posts here:

-Most important of all: better distribution. I got mine at a local regional dept. store, and I'd get more if I could find more. The store had a lot, and they sold pretty well, I thought. HW's packaging makes a great display, with the nice card-art and all those shiny happy guns and swords.

-Less partsforming. I don't mind it much. HW does the partsforming well. Still, it's not ideal.

-Continue improving the articulation

-Keep on putting in those cool swords and guns, and the light-up weapons, but make the light-up weapon tips stay attached better.

4. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Suggestions for Happy Well's Roadbots

Ok guys, I took everyone's posts here and tried to make a decent summary to send off to them. I've had a lot going on recently, so I apologize for the delay. Here's what I came up with:

• Focus on the 1:24 and 1:35 scales (these are established size types already popular with transformable robot fans)
    • Strive for Integration of parts into robot mode and decrease parts removal. Having to remove many vehicle parts is problematic.
    • Better articulation and detailing are more integral than electronic “gimmicks.”
    Articulation of the robots needs to be increased.
    • Create better-looking heads and articulated hands
    • Include less “gimmicks” (e.g. light up weapons, etc.). If a Roadbot has a gimmick, ensure that it is more realistic lights and less noise (i.e. light up headlights or an interior lamp, etc.)
    • Case assortments (This one is important, as many retailers that might normally carry Roadbots are reluctant to take a chance when they can only buy large crates containing one particular model. This hurts distribution, which may be a problem for Roadbots.)
    • Some have gotten the impression that Happy Well is very slow to fill orders and ship out their product.
    • Distribution. If a consumer could hold a Roadbot product in hand at a brick and mortar store (instead of simply viewing an online retailer’s image), one might be more inclined to buy at impulse. This would increase multiple purchases and more repeat buyers.
    • The distribution is the main problem, because the Western Europe, Northern America and Asia are the greatest markets. The distribution probably isn't a problem in Asia, but people in NA and WE certainly have a problem with findings these products.
    • They need guns and not the sole melee light up combat weapon/engine that most have already
    • Increase the quality of plastic used.
    • Continue with creating Roadbots from car make/models that have not already seen transformable toys.
    • Uniqueness in design is a plus
    • Parts to continue to include: rubber tires and die cast parts
    • Added stability in robot mode.
    • Variety of weapons makes for great playability.
    • The current packaging makes a great display, with the nice artwork as well as the added cards.
    • Continue to keep the prices reasonable.

If you have any thing to add in addition to this list, feel free to post! Do it quickly, as I will send this back to Happy Well within the early part of this week. Thanks for your help guys!

~SQ7

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  5. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Just a brief update:

I e-mailed Happy Well today, and I'll keep you guys updated with any response I get. Thank you to all of you guys for contributing! :thumb 

6. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I just got a reply to the e-mail I sent *edited for privacy*:

Let's hope all of our efforts here pay off :)  Again, thanks to each of you for your suggestions :wink: 

7. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I wonder if we'll hear anymore updates?

8. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    If I get any more updates from Happy Well, I'll post 'em here. :wink: 

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    arent they making actual alternator KOs in the roadbots line now?

10. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I believe in the case of the Alternators KO figures with the Roadbots packaging, there is pretty strong evidence to suggest that those are in fact imitation Roadbots. So yeah... KO's of a KO brand.

zmog

11. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    While this may or may not be the case (so far the evidence is weighing a bit more in what SMOG is suggesting, this has never been my inquiry with Happy Well. My correspondence has always been on the actual design level operating with the notion that the creation of completely new molds was the objective.

12. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    Correct. The KO Alternators in Roadbots packaging have the same "Emulational Robot" sticker that was on the Metrotitans that Kidi Toys made. Kidi Toys made those KOs, not Happy Well.

13. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Anything 'new' and not simply a KO or re-engineer of a Hasbro mold would be great.

There is plenty of room for multiple transforming robots line as long as they use their own R&D, Own molds and their own marketing and trademarks.

14. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Hey guys, I just wanted to post a reminder that this thread is a completely different thread than some that have been posted recently concerning the legitimacy of the recent toys at least seemingly pointing to (or away from) Happy Well. This thread was my response to Happy Well venturing into 1:24 scale transformable toys. I contacted them; they were willing to take suggestions on designing future products (i.e. not ko'ing em); started a thread to get others' input with a nice window of time to do so; compiled everything and sent it to them; and they finally responded with my post #46 of this thread. If I get anymore news from them, rest assured I'll post any updates.

Also, feel free to discuss anything concerning this issue. Let's just try to stay on topic :) 

Again, I'd like to thank everyone for helping out! :thumb 

15. sodawilly

sodawilly Old School fan since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've recently been in contact myself via a few e-mails back and forth the last few days and I can confirm by my e-mails that the 1/24 size of Roadbots will be out soon. I inquired to see if there will be anything other than the two seen on BBTS, and am waiting to hear back on that end......hopefully may have a picture or two sent. =)

Take care,

-Gregg

16. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

But WHERE will they be out? :) 

zmog

17. sodawilly

sodawilly Old School fan since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know www.bbts.com has them for preorder. Not sure if A3AU has them......19.99 on BBTS