How come Third-Party co. are making the fans more happy then Hasbro ?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by toaster, Feb 12, 2012.

1. toaster

toaster It's Hip to be Square !

It just pisses me of that Hasbro isn't to make quality figure rather than Gimmicked ones.Third-Party co. are practically the only source for me to buy some good solid action figures.

2. Biotoakid

Biotoakid I've never been wrong

News Credits:
    Third party toys don't have the restrictions of marketing and younger popular appeal. And they don't have 4 set prices and classes
    They aim to sell to older stable job fans with cash. So 3rd party can make quality, keep it pricey, and fully satisfy a fan.
    Hasbro doesn't have this luxury. Hasbro markets towards snot nosed 8 year olds with 20$ and shelfs of other neato
    toys that they want to buy. Hasbro adding cheap gimmicks is a cheap attention grab to get those 8 year olds to buy. Simple

3. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Well...there is a difference. Hasbro has to make all kinds of kids happy, 3rd party just has to make you happy. You're the Market they cater to.

4. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Well they make ME happy but my wallet on the other hand....not so happy :( 
    ;) 

5. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

It just pisses me of that Toyota isn't to make quality car rather than Gimmicked ones.Lamborghini is practically the only source for me to buy some good solid cars.

HINT: you might not be Hasbro's market. Also, I gurantee you that Toyota makes more money each year than Lamborghini. The same may just be true for Hasbro and third-parties. Just a guess, though.

6. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

3rd party groups see a need and fill it.

hasbro could do the same but it must not interest them. maybe it wouldn't make them enough money to make specialty items for collectors?

sometimes it looks like they are in the business of throwing crap against the wall and watching enough of it stick to make their money.

we are collectors are just small fish to them.

7. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Because their markets are completely different. For Hasbro we are on the Fringe of what their stuff is designed for. Were certainly considered a factor. But the large decisions come down to what parental and childrens groups find the most appealing.

Gimmicks have been a part of Hasbros Craft for a long time. They feel that the American consumer won't pick up a toy unless they have a long list of "what it does".

Which is kind of my criticism of a products from companies like bandai; striveing for total Model accurate Art, but with no play features at all. I question why I should spend something like $500 for a toy that is really only a display piece.

Transformers aren't statues. Their toys. And I prefer the solid plastic and metal pins includeing the crazy features to some high end figures made of ABS, PVC, or hard Vinyl.

The quality is there. That's not the problem. Its simply a matter of design priorities.

Third parties can make anything. Because they can charge anything for it. They take the bigger risk initially, and its paid off. But it seems none of these companies are on a full time production like hasbro is. Its a ton fewer units to make for our niche. But they don't have to deal with retailers like Hasbro does . Plus their Taking advantage of generation Y's privileged needs has lead us to expect more from Hasbro in response as they backpedal from dark of the moons total retailer saturation.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  8. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    3rd party companies are not making me happier, I tend to ignore most 3rd party offerings because of how expensive they are. The premise of this thread is a relative and I predict disaster.

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Is it not possible, however, for Hasbro to produce quality products that can make both kids and collectors happy?

10. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    And only for $100 per figure!

11. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    @Nachtsider: It is possible, Hasbro does it on a yearly basis!

12. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

I kinda agree. The only third party item i have is battle tanker and i do love it but hasbro offerings generally make me pretty happy and its even better with the occasional takara figure thrown. Whats even more ludicrous to me about this idea is it comes down to people focusing on the negative aspects. As i take a look around at the toys i have on the shelves and on my desk its pretty clear that people are forgetting a lot that came out recently that was for us fans. Generations and RTS. Many of those figures and characters are aimed at the older fans. Upcoming FoC generations figures. We are getting a Bruticus. Fans want combiners and hasbro is releasing one. If you do not like the looks of the cybertronian vehicles and Bruticus overall thats fine but I cannot wait to own it. Hasbro has been keeping me quite happy with their products and i will continue to purchase them.

As for third party toys and gimmicks. Third party items have gimmicks. Battle Tankers light up sword for example. The gimmicks are just done in a much more reserved manner much like in the MP figures.

13. JorfimusPrime

JorfimusPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It is, and they frequently do. Consider the RotF line and the HftD follow-up. Consider the MP line, which is actually more geared for collectors. Consider TFP First Edition -- I know it didn't get the proper release, or anywhere close to it, but if it had, then it would have done just that. The problem is that Hasbro doesn't seem to want to do this as much. Sure, a lot of the upcoming RiD figures look great, but some of them could be better if they cut back on the gimmicks -- for example, Bumblebee's "revealer" style head makes him look like he has a gigantic spiky goiter right under his chin. But Hasbro is a business first, and their target demographic of kids who like the show and parents who'll shell out for their kids, is more likely to buy something gimmicky, because you "get more out of it." Now, that's not necessarily true -- for example the entirety of the Bot Shots line is a giant gimmick, but I wouldn't say that you're getting more for your money, since they're tiny, simplified, and not really as worthwhile as the larger, mainline figures. But these days, just transforming isn't enough. Just like Armada sacrificed articulation in favor of electronics and Mini-Con compatibility, so too did DotM sacrifice collector quality for Mech-Tech gimmickry, and RiD is going to combine that with electronics.

14. silenth

silenth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If only Hasbor makes pies. Pies make me happy.

15. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    As a collector I've been VERY happy with Hasbro as far as Transformers is concerned. RtS Grapple, ROTF stuff, Generations toys, all of these things that just make my collectors heart flutter. ROTF Bludgeon, Generations Junkheap and RtS Wreck Gar, just to name some. RtS Jazz, Lugnut, FE Bulkhead...what's there to hate?

People have different tastes and like though. Just because some fans aren't happy with the current selection doesn't mean EVERYONE is. I love third party and Hasbro equally, and I would not sacrifice either for another.

16. megatron10824

megatron10824 taghdhjk

because third parties only make a few figures a year so they hav less of a chance at making a bad toy than hasbro who have to make 100s of toys a year

17. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The idea of describing 3rd party toys as "good SOLID action figures" makes me laugh uproariously.

18. kamuix

kamuix weeeeee

it depends on the market. hasbro has a large market with the goal of children buying these toys along with the cartoons to help enforce them wanting them. i mean the stuff they have been releasing is decent; some hit, some miss. i know hasbro knows there is the collectors market, but since there exists more kids than us, lets focus on them.

third parties know who they market to. they make great stuff and the prices they charge are evidently enough to show for it. they know that us collectors have an income and charge for what they believe is worth it. hasbro on the other hand sell toys to kids. to appeal to them so that their parents can buy them.

19. Agent-GHQ

Agent-GHQ Accept the unacceptable

Ebay:
    So the supposedly 40 plus Generation by 2013 is that Bruticus which looks nohting like G1 classic or homage to G1. Maybe the terms Generation wasn't really meant for G1 classic.

I don't have high hopes or expections from Hasbro as the 80s/G1 kids gradually begins to dwindle. I can totally understand their cause for pusing out new crap out for the new wave of kids.

One thing is for sure, Hasbro loved the kids back in the 80s when G1 was at the altar...

3rd parties will be happy to fill that gap!

20. JorfimusPrime

JorfimusPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, it depends upon what figure you're talking about. I mean, take BTS Sonicron. I personally enjoy it, and think it's a pretty good figure, but by no means perfect, and I have my fair share of gripes with it -- loose joints, low quality plastic, not nearly as tight in alt-mode as I would want, to name a few. But overall I like the figure. But then there are some people absolutely reviled it. Then think about the 3rd-party constructicons. Are you going to say that those are not good, solid figures? I don't personally have them, but from what I've seen, the fact that a 3rd-party could make figures with 2 distinct modes and which combine to form a giant gestalt is pretty darn impressive. Criticize when necessary, but I'd say that for a lot of the 3rd-party products out there, "good, solid action figures" is an appropriate description.