How come its easy for someone in the US to carry and buy a real gun than ...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by viper2391, Apr 18, 2007.

1. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How come its easy for someone in the US to carry and buy a real gun than say buy an unaltered megatron or any other real-looking toy gun? Should'nt it be the other way around like very hard to acquire a real gun and easy to buy a toy gun that look realistic? Just my opinion because the recent campus shootout/murder is really disturbing. Just imagine going to school and getting shot at. Where can we go? What's the safest place now? I hope gov't officials will do something about it now. Just imagine if the dude is carrying some explosives ---let's not wait for that to happen.

2. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Are you asking why the laws that restrict a reissue/Masterpiece Megatron are more strict than laws for guns? Well, I believe the law that would restrict a reissue Megatron is a federal law, and laws involving guns are often dealt with at the State level. Virginia has very relaxed gun laws, while states like California and New York have stricter laws. I believe the Megatron law was put into place to protect children from doing something stupid like pointing it at an armed person, and sadly for us our collector item would fall under the toy category.

3. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

It's harder to get a firearm than people want you to think after something like the recent events have happened. People with agendas use opportunities like this to say, "See? If it wasn't sooo easy to get a gun, this wouldn't have happened."

In order to legally obtain a firearm in this country, a person has to apply for an FBI background check that checks for any felonies and other crimes. If it shows that you're a criminal, you won't be able to get the firearm.

If your record is clean, then you can purchase the firearm after the waiting period is over. This method ideally prevents people with criminal backgrounds from getting weapons, while still allowing law abiding citizens to purchase them.

Please note that this is a general overview, and it does vary from state to state as Gigatron stated.

4. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I don't think thats true in all states. While there is a background check in gun relaxed states such as Virginia, its very quick and there is no waiting period.

Unfortunately as in the case with the vt shootings, its very possible that a longer background check of something like a week would not have done anything. Because according to what Im hearing, he purchased the firearms 5 weeks prior.

And edit: I see you added the bit at the end about it varying from state to state Darkravager. :p 

5. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

Yeah, I did go back and add that in because I was writing largely based on my experiences with certain states, and forgot that the waiting period is either shortened or negated with some firearms.

And yeah, I agree that a background check might not have caught anything with this guy. That's why I stated that the ideal intent of these laws is to keep guns out of the hands of proven criminals. With someone who is plotting to become a criminal, it's hard to stop. The only way to stop something like that is to create a world like in Minority Report.

6. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

We also have that thing we call the Bill of Rights, and it protects our rights to own a firearm. Toy guns, however, are not protected thus can be restricted easier without infringing on said right. Not that I agree with this right anymore, back in the 1770's, sure. In the 21st century? I think it causes more problems then it's worth.

Just my two cents.

7. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That's the way the laws are written.

Some people think so. Others disagree. Your belief is what should matter to you.

Away from the shooter.

As far as possible away from the shooter which as much stuff between you and him as possible.

Seriously, if you have an issue with the laws on the books, write your elected officials. Addresses can be found at www.vote-smart.org.

8. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Apparently you haven't been to MA. It's virtually impossible to get a gun license here. NH on the other hand....

9. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Megatron is a toy and toys are fir kids, sort of like Trix. Sort of different, toy gun vs. real gun.

There have been more then a few cases of people confusing toy guns for real ones and bad things happening.

10. 138 Scourge

138 Scourge WE R 138

There was, of course, the infamous occurence with consumer-advocate David Horowitz being held hostage by a maniac with a real looking toy gun back in the 80's. This, I belive, was one of the catalysts for realistic-looking toy guns being banned. I have mixed feelings about this law. On one hand, it does keep kids from pointing, say, Megatron, at a cop and being shot. On the other hand...which would you rather be held hostage with, a real gun, or a toy one that looks real, y'know? Of course, I've heard the law on "realistic" toy guns extends to, say, Sixshot. The Hell? Also...isn't MP-05 like, five times the size of a real handgun? A pistol the size of one's head doesn't seem realistic to me.

I dunno, while I can see that there's a lot of real guns, and it can be a problem, in the wrong hands. But, I have to say, it's not responsible, law-abiding gun owners that are the problem.

And this is getting to close to political discourse, so I'll shut up.

11. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

Simple:

If its a real gun and a cop sees you have a real gun pointed at him that cop can shoot to defuse the situation.

Now its it a toy guy that looks like a real gun and a cop sees a gun pointed at him and that cop shoots, just imagine what happens next.

12. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Even that can be justified. I've read that there have been many incidents of gang members, criminals, etc. painting the tips of their real guns orange to make them look like toys.

You make a cop think his life is in danger - with a gun, simulated weapon, or whatever - and you deserve what's coming to you.

13. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    The only way to get an unregistered gun is to smuggle it in.
    The only way to get an uncapped Megatron is to smuggle it in.

You should expect to pay more for the gun.

14. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

Isn't it then easier for a child to shoot itself or a relative while messing around with a real gun, than getting shot by a cop over a toy gun?

Edit: Not that I think any gun regulation would help, as we have strong laws here in Brazil and just yesterday 20 people died in Rio due to gang war. But I do believe such loose laws over real guns renders toy guns regulations stupid. Daddy buys a gun and leaves it loaded in the living room, but the kid can't have Megatron.

15. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    So that actually does happen? Talk about a law coming back and biting you in the ass.

16. Jux

The way I see it, as long as the officer can show a reasonable fear, they're justified.

One can notice a toy gun right off the bat upon inspection, but toys and real guns look so much alike. Then you have airsoft or BB guns that look like handguns. If an officer is 20 yards away and sees a guy quickly pulling a black handgun out of his jacket and aiming it, I wouldn't expect him to take the risk that it's just a toy. Orange tip or not, you put the other guy on the ground.

17. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Daddy goes to prison for breaking three or four laws right there. The scenario you described is very illegal.

18. Jux

Due simply to the number of households that have both children and firearms, obviously the answer is yes. But that doesn't mean we should ignore the laws for the less frequent occurrence.

What "loose" laws? In the US, if you want a toy gun, it has to have markings on it. Kid can have a toy gun, as long as it complies with the law. Dad breaks the law, and is an overall idiot, for leaving an armed weapon within reach of a child.

19. Mr. Jiggles

Mr. Jiggles loves your mother.

And this is why we need an Ultra Masterpiece Megatron that actually shoots bullets.

Be careful during the transformation, BTW.

20. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    It was a walk in the park for me to get my Class A. Then again, this was a few years back.