How come Hasbro doesn't release "lost" figures?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by exclusacon, Nov 11, 2010.

1. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    I don't know if this been ask before, but with the remaining animated figures being release through other outlets, and certain tail-ends figures from other lines getting lost in distributions....Why don't they just all non-store exclusives figures on their site?

Do you think we will ever see the day where hasbro just cut out the middlemen and become their own store?
    What your thoughts?

2. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    You have no idea how important Walmart is for toy sales.

3. exclusacon

News Credits:
    True that, but you know how the post office is losing business becuz of emailing, online bill payments..it could happen with toys...

4. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Right...

5. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Mattel kind of does it with some of their lines.

6. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Hasbro is not going to cut out the Distributor unless the Distributor themselves go down.

7. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hasbro already tried this with the four Universe SE figures. They ended up having to clearance them out to Marshalls. Sure they could have done some things different like reduce cost through simple packaging but overall it's not worth their effort.

8. exclusacon

News Credits:
    But you save a lot of money that way, walmart consttantly f*cks vendors...hasbro lost a lot of $ on mp skywarps...

9. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Which I would have bought if they were not all shit. I was really hoping they were going to make a SE Cliffjumper with a remolded head, I know that would have sold better than everything in that first series.

10. exclusacon

News Credits:
    What I meant was like HA mudflaP, red rampage, evac, universe ratchet and hot shot...etc...things people never seen at retail, those figures...

11. exclusacon

News Credits:
    So if they change the packaging and sold it for 12.99, you have bought it....but when its a 60$ exclusive to a store, you won't hestitate to buy it?

12. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Some series have rare or short packed figures. It's just the nature of the hobby.
    Jsut because not everyone saw a figure at retail doesn't mean they should sell them specifically to satisfy those unlucky souls.
    Hell, I never saw a Fort Max at retail when they were actually sold that way.

13. QmTablit

I don't think you get how it works. Walmart already bought the toys from Hasbro by the case at a wholesale price. Hasbro made their money already. Walmart paid them. It was Walmart that may have lost out on clearing out those Skywarps. But even then, no one walks into a Walmart just to buy a toy. Most people bought other stuff since they were already there, and that's how Walmart (and stores in general, Grocery stores do it all the time) stay in the positive. Lose a little money on one thing, and make it back through the purchase of other items.

Here's an example: Hot dogs are on sale. Awesome. Let's go buy hot dogs. The grocery store is losing money by bringing down the cost of those hot dogs. But, we have to buy buns, ketchup, mustard, relish, sauerkraut, etc. The grocery store just made their money back plus some because we bought all that other stuff.

14. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It needs to be financially viable. Having Wal-Mart sell them will sell TONS more than HTS. Sometimes you have things like the Club Seacons that would have sold for $30 at Wal-Mart had to sell for $90 or whatever they went for. The only reason BBTS can sell the Seacons now for $60 is that they bought more than what the club did, and they're taking a lower profit margin than the club.

15. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Maybe Nevermore was right.

Or maybe you're looking for a particular reaction.

16. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    Hasbro tends to not release so-called "lost figures" because in a great many cases, there isn't as much demand as some fans think.

Best example I can think of is Alternators (2005 revision) which brought back "hard to find" releases Meister and Tracks...who promptly shelfwarmed for most of the remainder of the line.

HA Skids was and still is a slow seller in many markets, what makes you think Mudflap wouldn't have been just as bad given how poorly his much cheaper deluxe toy pegwarmed across the country?

Just because a toy is hard to find doesn't mean that there is a huge market for it.

17. exclusacon

News Credits:
    I'm saying I had a 2 part question....1. Why doesn't hasbro re-upped HA Mudflap on their site? They Re-upped everything else, but they never reupped mudflap ( btw I have him)

I'm just looking for opinions and thoughts

Everytime a figure gets shorted or if it didn't hit that part of the world yet everybody bitch, then blames hasbro for shiity distrubution? If the stores are buying them then how is it Hasbro fault?...if I'm hasbro I'm putting every single figure that not exclusive to a store on my site...why not do that?

18. exclusacon

News Credits:
    Everything get shelfwarm...I guess I'm not making myself clear...

19. QmTablit

No. You're just not getting the answer you want.

Hasbro made their money on the toys that were produced, regardless of where they sold them to. Whether it was Walmart or Canada (as is the case for your HA Mudflap example). They already sold off the amount set aside for HTS.

20. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The only reason I ever walk into WalMart is to buy a toy, and even that's a rare occasion. Aside from the random excluive toy I haven't bought anything at WalMart in ten years. :) 

As for the topic, I think Hasbro could have success selling toys on their website as long as they're either new sculpts or popular/saught after sculpts. Had those HTS exclusives been sculpts that were more popular with fans they probably would have sold better than they did. As it was 3 out of 4 were the 3 worst sculpts from classics at the time so I'm not surprised they languished.