How can some people in look in the mirror. Especially THIEVES

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rodimusprime2007, Feb 29, 2012.

1. rodimusprime2007

rodimusprime2007 Only in a Jeep

Ebay:
    How can some people in look in the mirror. Especially THIEVES
    Just today I have been bent over for the 2nd time on the boards. Well just realized today I got took. Any way how can anyone even think of screwing someone out there hard earned money. I work 2 jobs, have 3 kids, a mortgage, car payments and more like most other people. I got took for 500 bucks from a board member on HISSTANK. Now I have to go through PayPal and try and get my money back. It just makes me sick to my stomach that this even happened. How can this person even look in the mirror. Like always I checked his feedbak before I sent anything, seemed good to go. Havent had any responses from him so I checked the boards today and low and behold Im not the only one this has happened to. Stuff like this makes me think twice about dealing with anyone on here or HISSTANK. Which really sucks because Ive dealt with some really good people on here. Anyway if any changes then Ill update this. Either when PP hopefully refunds me or if by some odd chance I hear from him. Yeah right.
    _____

2. Reaper Cloud

Reaper Cloud Dark Wrecker

News Credits:
    Sorry to hear about that. :(  I was going to make a Vampire joke, but I won't.

This is why I am worried about buying anything from strangers on message boards, besides the prices being a bit too high (which made me say no to the whole thing).

I hope that PayPal works with you and that your money is refunded soon. Maybe Craigslist or Ebay would be the safer way to do things?

All we can do is hope that Hell has a special level for scumbags like this.

3. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

You have to accept that 90% of people are terrible and don't really give a crap about you and are in it for themselves. The internet especially - they don't know you, you're just another random person for them to gain some cash from. That is incredibly negative, but it helps with the disappointment in life :lol 

[​IMG]

4. Kevin XI

Kevin XI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^Dratch attack!

5. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I like to be more positive about things, but Kitty's right. Just because it might come as 2nd nature to us to conduct business honouably, everyone isn't like that, and no matter how many measures we take, it still comes down to a base element of trust. Like for me, it's a pretty simple concept. You work out a deal, both parties do what they promised to the best of their ability, and then if something goes wrong, you do everything in your power to avoid screwing the other person over.

Why more people can't grasp this concept is beyond be because if nothing else, you serve to earn a lot more through a good reputation than you do from stealing from someone. I'd hold this true to any form of business or interaction without question. Like, I guess I can appreciate landing the heist of a lifetime or something, but that borders more into an unrealistic fiction than actual business practice.

... but yeah, I hope you end up getting done right by Paypal, even if the process itself will suck ass.

6. UltimusPrime

UltimusPrime Banned

News Credits:
    In my lifetime I have been ripped off at least 100 grand combining ebay , amazon , lost packages and assholes filing chargebacks with paypal.

Just be glad it was for $500. Hope they sort you out.

7. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid TFW2005 Supporter

Getting taken advantage of definitely sucks. It's especially shitty when it's someone you know. Recently, I had my sister's boyfriend doing some drywall work in my house. He was always very polite and respectful. Him and my sister would come over quite often to hang out. Turns out, he stole my watch. The reason I know he stole my watch was because I managed to track it down. His brother had it. God only knows what else he swiped. I'm sure we'll realize other things missing as time goes on.

8. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    sorry that happened to you

9. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Its simple. You steal the mirror.

10. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I would not give anybody on ANY board $500. I'd feel weird accepting that much as well.

11. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I try to only deal with people who are either popular on the boards, have a high post count or have been a member for a long time. I do this because ripping someone off gets you removed from the boards and they track your IP so they do not take you back. I got taken once but I did get my money back.

Since you went Paypal and got nothing in return I am sure you will get your funds back.

12. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

I don't trust any of you unless the transaction is in person.

13. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I want to say something about you being a brown man but I'm afraid it would be misconstrude as racism vs a joke.

But seali, with out ever meeting you I would totally deal with you...but I want brown man discounts. :p 

14. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Well to be honest, I'd feel stranger about spending that much on a single transaction for this kind of stuff than I would on the boards. I'd damn sure make it a point to deal with a known person if I did though, and pretty much for the reasons Transbot mentioned.

Like if nothing else, I tend to look at whether or not its in the person's best interest to screw me over. If they're an active member who's built up some sort of reputation or routine on the boards, then I like to believe that even if they're somehow/possibly nefarious, that they're also intelligent enough to know that it's in their best interest to do honest business because they serve to lose more by severing their connection with the website (and possibly the TF/collecting community in general because news of shitty people travels fast). However, if someone with 3 posts sends me a pm saying they have a bunch of shit & feel like doing me a favor by giving me a batshit good deal, then I'll proceed with the necessary caution for obvious reasons.

Also to Seali_Me, even then there've been times when I haven't felt right. For example, there's a hobby shop that I play cards at on the weekends, and one day these 2 guys who we none of us had seen before showed up wanting to buy a bunch of cards that we didn't want. This in itself wasn't too odd (collectors wanting to buy cards, etc), but they just gave me a rather uneasy vibe, so I made it a point to go with them when they drove to my buddy's house after the tournament in case they planned to jump him or something. Nothing ended up going down & they ended up buying like 100 bucks of stuff from each of us, but I didn't feel comfortable letting em alone with my friend at his house, so I didn't take any chances.

15. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    i had a similar experience on a car forum paid 650 for a set of leather seats from a 02 transam

3 weeks and i have no seats i keep trying to contact him and finally i get a response from his wife saying he got deployed and didnt have time to mail them, so she mailed them too me and he finally contacted me himself somehow and asked if i was happy with the seats (plural) his wife only shipped one of them, so i waited another month for his wife to mail that one out.

so look on the bright side............... maybe they got hospitalized in a car wreck

something i also tend to check is recent activity and average posts (if they are on here quite frequently i feel they are more likely to keep communication open)

16. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Oh for sure, and now that I think about it, I'm gonna start making a blacklist for myself where fuckers who break off communication or who flat out ignored my pms will go, and I'll make it a point not to deal with them in the future. Like, if someone's gonna be like that before anything's been agreed upon (or in a few cases, after they've confirmed a buy or sell & then left me hangin indefinitely while I possibly lost a sale or buying opportunity like someone just did to me 2 days ago), then why would I believe they'll be any better after money's been sent?

People who keep replying to my pms with shit like (can't let it go for that much, make me another offer) instead of giving me a price after multiple goes at this bullshit will be going there too. One guy even made up a story about having a "local buyer" to get me to offer more money (even after I made him the same offer he had as his asking price on another forum), and I know he was pulling my tail because its been like 2 months since I politely told him to fuck off & he still has the stuff listed in his thread. Now, this is of course assuming that he even still has it at all, but all of his forum feedback is spot on (dont know about his ebay feedback because he told me it was perfect, but refused to give me his username so I could look for myself), so he's probably just a dickbag who think that stretching people for a few dollars is a good business strategy.

/rant

17. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

It's important to do member research before trading with them.
    Check out their feedback or to see how committed they are to the fandom.

They usually wont screw you if they have too much to lose.
    I don't practice what I preach very well though, Ive taken chances with alot of new members, and thankfully they came through. Sometimes that gut instinct can steer you wrong though.

18. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    I've dealt with newer people too, but the ones that I have gave me a good vibe, and I'm usually pretty good at reading people, so I went with it. Plus, there've also been people who took a chance with me when I was new to the boards (and I kinda still am in the grand scheme of things), so it didn't seem fair to turn people away for simply being new.

You're right though about getting steered wrong, and it really is a game of trust above all else. I just find that I have more of that (as well as more info to go on) when it comes to forums than places like ebay, so for me it's a plus.

19. rodimusprime2007

rodimusprime2007 Only in a Jeep

Ebay:
    This guy did have good feedback, not alot but he was also a member for 3 years. Now all of the sudden out the blue in the past 2-3 days 5 people have left him bad feedback. He finally contacted me today after I started a PP case against him saying that he was shipping the stuff out next week. I asked him for pics of the 3 items all together and also why all of sudden all this bad feedback. Still waiting on an answer. He did get on the boards today and said he was going to make this all good for everyone. It just seems his stories are different, one guy said he was contacted and there were family issues, I was told he was in the middle of midterms and now he will ship them during spring break. I dont know what to think, Im trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, but at the same time I have a bad feeling about things. Especially about right after I paid he got fid of his message board, the only way you can contact him is PM. Also he uses 2 different last names. He said it was because he is sending emails through his phone, yeah. Anyway Im keeping my case open with PP.

20. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

[​IMG]