How can robots be brothers?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Taker, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

Well, I don't know if there was an explanation for that in the comics, but how can be that some Autobots refer to them as brothers?

We have Sunstreaker and Sideswipe, and Prime and Magnus are also stated to be brothers in DW comics.

So, is there any explanation on how a couple of robots can be brothers?

2. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

some are literally born brothers in the case of twins such as the decepticons thundercracker and skywarp although in the case of twins one usually wears a version of the others colorscheme hence skywarps colorscheme being a darkened inverted version of thundrcrackers.

3. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

Yeah, but how can they be brothers? They're not BORN, they're BUILT.

4. butz

butz slippery when wet

They budded from the same TF? No, wait, thats only the really early ones and the second gen guys ... Matrix gave them fraternal sparks?

5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Literal translation from Cybertronian into English of a concept we can't truly understand, but for which 'brother' is the closet parallel.

6. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    We're already allowing for giant, thinking, alien robots. Why not also allow that they might define "brothers" differently than does a species made of meat? Say, as two robots that are built at the same time, or to similar specifications and body plan.

7. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    According to the Marvel G1 comics, "brothers" denotes a pair of Transformers who were initially brought online at the same moment. Sunstreaker and Sideswipe were both built on the same assembly line, and had life given to them by the Matrix and were brought online simultaneously. Hence they were the closest thing to actual brothers without being somehow genetically related (not possible for non-organic lifeforms).

8. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

Hmmm...that's a satisfactory answer.

So, I guess that Prime and Magnus are brothers 'cos they were REFORMATED at the same time. It makes some sense.

9. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

either that or brothers result from a spark naturally splitting into 2 seperate sparks with the 2 resulting cybertronions being twins.

10. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Concerning Prime/Magnus and the "brother" comment in the live-action movie, I always interpreted that as the word "brother" being used to represent a close friend or comrade.

For DW Sunstreaker and Sideswipe specifically, a quick consultation of the Dreamwave G1 More Than Meets the Eye TPB entry on "Cloning Technology"...

11. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Their oil type is the same: 10-w40

12. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm with Draven on this one as far as G1 goes.

But, don't forget, the new movie Prime called Megatron "Brother" hmm...

13. Shokaract

Shokaract Banned

I remember hearing something around the time RID came to the states in reference to the car brothers, that TF siblings were one spark split between seperate bodies. I can't remember if that was officially stated or just fan speculation at the time.

14. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

In this case, I think the writers intended to use the word brother as "we belong to the same planet", but it didn't sound like that at all.

15. The Crazy Collector

The Crazy Collector Well, that's just Prime! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    At the writers panel at BotCon, the writers said they purposefully left it ambigious as to whether Prime meant Megatron was a biological brother, or a "brother-in-arms." I tend to interpret Prime's comment as the later.

16. deceptifocus

deceptifocus *Supercharged*

Ebay:
    ships have sisters, why not robots brothers?

17. grimlockams prime

grimlockams prime Check you feet

i'm with draven too. it is a lot simpeler in beast mach.

18. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Isn't there a distinction between "spark brothers" and "form brothers?" With the former being much more closely-bonded, like a biological sibling? I thought I read that somewhere on this board at one point.

After all, form brothers are a dime a dozen in the TF universe, but you never hear Prowl and Bluestreak or Trailbreaker and Hoist referred to as brothers. As for the Seekers, well, they're more like mass-production drone troops anyway, so it makes sense that they would share the same body-style.

Kind of ironic that with all the "twins" about, the only ones referred to as "brothers" are Sideswipe and Sunstreaker.... who share only a superficially similar alt mode and have completely different robot modes.

I do like that notion of sparks being split into two! That makes a lot of sense.

19. Agent_ravage

Agent_ravage Saboteur

G1 explanation: By literal brothers they mean it was an anomaly such as the spark split between Sunstreaker and Sideswipe. Just because a lot of Transformers where mass assembled by the Quintessons (or enslaved by them, whichever the orgins you follow) doesnt mean that they were all around at the time that A3 and Beta where fighting the slave resistance battles. Chances are many Transformers were subsequently born later, either by Cybertron itself or with the aid of other Transformers and Vector Sigma.

G2 Explanation: Transformers could originally "bud" their sparks, sort of like an amoeba. This was stopped and eventually forgotten because the bi-products (children) down the lineage became mentally unstable and/ or mutated (I forget if there were physical deformities.) The Liege Maximo and Jhiaxus were products of such breeding, and it is highly speculated that Tarantulas was aswell. (Rather than being a "spawn of Unicron" he was much more likely of Cybertronian budding descent, which accounts for why him destroying the Ark and past events wouldn't have Chronologically displaced him, as his ancestry didn't depend on G1 Prime or Megatron.)

All other Continuities: Technically there is no established cannon for RiD, Armada, the Movie, so multiple explanations could apply.

20. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

They can be voiced by Scatman like G1 Jazz...ZING. TX