how can I turn my comp's dvd drive autoplay back on?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by ckhtiger, May 10, 2008.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    I know, it should be real simple, but I can't make it work. a while back I clicked "take no action" and then checked the box that says "always do this" at the bottom when I put a disk in. but now I wish I hadn't, but google searches weren't helpful, and clicking "prompt me each time" in the properties>autoplay part of the folder didn't change anything. and by the way I'm using xp.

the other thing is that all files on a disc show up with the ie icon instead of what they really are. is there anyway I can change that? thanks for any help, sometimes I'm good with the computer, others, like this, I'm oblivious.

2. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

did you set every type of content (pictures/dvd/etc) in properties.

as for ie icons...what does it open with? if its IE, then you need to right-click, properties, then change the open with.....if it doesnt open with IE, then i dunno.

3. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    it'll have every different file type showing an ie icon. videos, folders, comic books, EVERYTHING.

as for the autoplay, do I really need to go back and set every file type? it seems that there should be some way to have it at least always pop up the window that asks you what to do every time you put in a disk.

4. Mixmaster

Mixmaster 4F 68 A0 54 69 74 73 21

News Credits:
  5. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

try this, right click your CD Drive (try it without a CD in it)...and instead of setting each individually, select one and press the "restore default" button...i changed some around (did a apply to set it) and tried the restore default and it returned how it was...

6. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:

nope, none of that worked. I can't believe that it insists on labeling every file as an ie one, even though it doesn't make them open with ie.

7. Mixmaster

Mixmaster 4F 68 A0 54 69 74 73 21

News Credits:
    Does this happen on all user accounts on your machine? If you only have one user account, create another, the new one will based on the original default settings.

But it all depends whether the offending changes are user specific (HKEY_CURRENT_USER) or system wide (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE). If it's the former then what I suggested above will sort it out. If it's the latter though, you have three options; tolerate it, wipe then reinstall Windows, or poke around the HKLM part of the registry looking for the offending settings (which is tedious beyond words).