How can I know how much is an import...?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Taker, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

Hi everyone.

My wife is gonna acquire a credit card soon (visa or mastercard), so we wanna know if there is a way to calculate how much cost importing certain things (Transformers mainly :D  ) from the US, via Ebay or any store that sends worldwide. Can you help me?

BTW, which is better? Visa? Mastercard?

2. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    It really depends on how you go about it. Literally importing a figure is a smaller markup than an already imported figure but there's going to be a big shipping cost to counter it, so no different than a US importer shop like BBTS. Generally smaller japanese toys go for double on US online shops. It depends on a lot of factors though. Online stores all have different prices on imports. For instance the new japanese Beast Wars reissues are $30 at BBTS (As said, about double the $15 the US reissues were) but elsewhere they're only $25. Bigger figures are a smaller markup (MP Megatron is $80 in yen in Japan and most retailers will sell you a modded one for $100). Another huge factor is the demand for the figure. When GF Soundwave came out, he was only a $20 figure for his US release, but I paid $50 for the import. Even popular figures like Vector Prime and Starscream only ran $40 to import. Bad toys, or older ones, are another matter. MP Starscream you'll find cheaper due to it's unpopularity, but even a popular older figure can run cheaper than norm. I got Armada Thrust from BBTS when they had it on sale at normal retail price, and noticed their Micron Legend import of the same toy was the same price. Low demand for the figure, lower price.

As for eBay, every individual member has their own rules, some will get you a bargain, some will rob you blind.

Your best bet, look around. Shoppertron.com is your best friend for that, hit as many online Transformer shops as you can to see who has the better prices on what you're after, there's no fixed rate for imported toys so it's your only solid option. And before you buy from a shop, search eBay to see if you can get a deal first.

3. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

Thanks for that, but I forgot one important thing:

I'm from Southamerica.

From Chile, the A$S of the world.

I suppose it's gonn be more expensive?

4. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Aaah... yeah, shipping's going to be a bitch then, no avoiding that. It might still be cheaper to import from a US shop, but I don't really know what the shipping rates there are like.

5. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

Well, I can always e-mail'em. Thanks a lot!