How can i get to like sports

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by G1Decepticons, Dec 20, 2009.

1. G1Decepticons

G1Decepticons Banned

I want to get to know everything about football,basketball,and hockey. I want to learn how to enjoy them and watch sports center and understand everything about the news about them. Can someone help me with the rules about some of these sports. Tell em allt he rules,tell me how the whole play offs work and that stuff. You dont have to help me with all the sprots jsut tell me information about one sport you know the most about and tell me what you know.

2. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Llike TIH said, google it's your friend. Though honestly, one of the best ways to learn a sports is simply to watch it.

4. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

True. Watch lots of sports games and listen to the play by play guy. You'll understand most of the rules that way. The only sports I still have problem understanding is Hockey and that's because I don't bother to watch it.

5. G1Decepticons

G1Decepticons Banned

yea i hope to understand it. well i guess i understand the rules mostly. but what i need more is for someone to explain to me like the positions that someone plays especially in football like what does a running back do in football is he on the offensiv or on defense. How many rounds do a team plays before and during the play offs.

6. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

Get a video game.

7. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    have a video game system? Rent/borrow a copy of a sports sim. Go for the true simulators like Madden and not something like Blitz: The League II.

8. G1Decepticons

G1Decepticons Banned

i have a couple video games but not really played them really.

9. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Do you have family that like to watch sports, say on Christmas Day? Sit down with them and listen and watch, and if they're amenable to it, ask questions.

Why are you so bent on getting to know all about sports and how to like them all of a sudden?

--Moony

10. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    Just watch a game. If you get into it, keep watching games, and you'll learn stuff fast. I started with football, and now I watch a bit of everything. You can pick up rules easily, as analysts and commentators are always mentioning them.

11. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    :google 

12. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Alright, Lemme help you out. Pittsburgh is the city of champions. The Pittsburgh Steelers have won the Super Bowl a record 6 times. The Pittsburgh Penguins are the defending Stanley Cup Champions. They've had the greatest player and goaltender of all time play for them, Mario Lemeuix and Tom Barrasso. The Pirates haven't had a winning season in 17 straight years. That is a MLB record as well. Hope this helps.

13. JetsAndHeels

JetsAndHeels Banned

There is an NFL game on right now on NBC. Watch it!!

And to answer your question, running backs play offense.

14. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In general, I found the best way to go about understanding a particular sport is to watch a live game with someone who understands the game well and is willing to explain anything you might ask about simply and concisely. Concise is important, because getting someone who's just going to go on a long-winded diatribe every time you ask a simple question (like the guy who tried to explain football to me*) is just going to be confusing. I'd also suggest a live game because then you don't have the play-by-play guys in the background incessantly rattling off obscure stats, bantering, stabbing each other with giant foam forks, cutting away from the game for instant replays, commercial breaks, etc. Might just be me, but I've found the play-by-play guys and commentators to be a detriment to understanding a game, rather than an aid. And you're not necessarily going to like every sport, even if you try watching them all; there's nothing saying you have to. Over the last year, I've tried getting into both baseball and American football; while I don't mind baseball, I still can't stand football.

Concerning hockey, I don't know if all NHL teams do this, but the Atlanta Thrashers recently started printing the basic NHL rules, penalties and referee hand signals in the programs they give out at games. That proved very helpful to me, even as a long-time hockey fan and is yet another benefit of going to a live game.

*As an aside, definitely don't ask one of these people to explain the US college football poll/ranking system. I did and regretted it...although it was a good chance to bust out an IRL "cool story, bro".

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  15. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    How can you get to like sports? Drink. Haha! I'm here all week folks, tip your waitress!

A steady diet of ESPN would probably help you understand the sports a lot better. Sports are one of those things where you can't just read a wikipedia page on them and expect to understand everything.

16. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Find out some trivia, some offbeat fact or a redeeming quality in a sport.
    no, seriously. Hockey has never been big here and aside from the movie "Slap Shot" i had not a clue what made it great.
    until a friend started playing me on the old Genesis.

a month or so into that, i started reading more. Rules, the jargon and minutae can bog me down really fast, so i decided to watch certain players.
    When i saw Curtis Joseph block 4 shots on goal in a row, coming out of the crease, hitting the wall to cover the puck then racing back to the goal to block another shot, I was into the game a lot more.

i get mocked for telling B-ball fans this, but Hockey is similar is several ways. and that's how i grew to appreciate BOTH sports. They are about running patterns and setting up the best shot; they are about breaking the offensive's momentum and using it to create steals or rebounds.

I would agree in theory that Soccer works on the same level, but watching those guys run for 90 minutes wears me out, lol. it isn't boring, it is physically draining for my body to watch players with that much stamina.

17. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Buy one of those "Idiots Guide to Sport X" books. I got "Football for Dummies" a while back when I started getting more into the minutiae of football and it was worth it's weight in gold. Definitely helped me enjoy the sport more.

That being said...I'm not sure how you start enjoying a sport. I mean, you like it or you don't.

18. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Get some sports video games and treat them like rpg's. Get the strat guides and just try to have fun & master the game, you'll learn everything along the way.

19. Deonasis

Deonasis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you can.. go out and play it. Try it with some friends, or join a social or club team. Even a playing a modified version of the game (like touch instead of tackle) you will get a great feel for the sport.

20. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

If you want to learn the penalties in Hockey watch the start of Slap Shot. :p  Just watch the games and pay attention to the movement of players. If you don't understand the terms used by the play by play guys look it up. :) 

Chuck