How can I clean/disinfect my transformers without damaging them?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by IXBlackWolfXI, Sep 5, 2016.

1. IXBlackWolfXI

IXBlackWolfXI Member

I asked once on this forum how I could repair my six shot's loose knee, but I never got a reply for some reason.

But I decided to try again anyway. I have a box full of my old beast wars toys that was stored in a shed for 10 years. The problem is, the box has mouse droppings in it so now I think the figures are dangerous to handle.

But I don't know know what I can do with them that won't damage them. Will washing them off with hand soap and water damage them? I'm afraid I'll wash off the paint or something. The paint is chipping on some of them, though oddly enough my transmetals aren't flaking (well, most of the red paint on my optimus primal has chipped off, but oh well).

Anyway, what I can do with them? Do I have to do something special for them?

2. Inciteful

Inciteful Hides in the Shadows

News Credits:
    I would suggest using Clorox or Lysol wipes to clean / disinfect them. Tedious yes, but I would be afraid the soap & water would rust the screws and maybe the pins.

3. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    the smell of the mouse can ruin a house.

But with out any more ryhems here is what i would do get some non alcholic baby wipes and clean them off, then i would air them out in a area that gets plenty of air but no sun light at least in the area where you have put them.

after that you want to try soaking them in warm water then drying them, or if the smell is really bad i suggest dish washing liquid or something like that something that is used on every day products that is used everyday that is harsh that way the risk of damge is low, sense your not removeing mouse droping from the toys i would think a soak in bubbly water at this point then rinseing them off and leting them air dry should do them wounders.

PAINT CHIPPING AND CHROME okay sense you brought this up never going agianst the grain with babby wipes or cleaning never scrub use something soft like a glasses cleaning cloth or micro fiber cloth.

all in all this is what i recommend to anyone that is cleaning smoke mouse or anything else smell of toys, in fact ive repeated this many times but i dont mind doing it because its a important part of our fandom dealing with this kinda stuff.

can i also recommend plastic boxs for storeing stuff in the futer it doesnt let any nastys in but you will want to open them up once every 2 months to let them breath and be carefull with moisture build up

4. IXBlackWolfXI

IXBlackWolfXI Member

Yeah, water would probably be a bad idea now that you mention it.

I did wash a figure off with water once though, my generations bumblebee (legend class). It fell on the floor while I was moving it to a new room and well my floors aren't the most sanitary so I rinsed it off with water. I hope the pins won't corrode on me now. I wasn't really worried about that figure much since its a newer one so I assumed the paint on it wouldn't flake off as easily.

5. Mixmaster

Mixmaster 4F 68 A0 54 69 74 73 21

News Credits:
    I would use anti-bacterial wipes, using a cocktail stick with a wipe on it to get into nooks and cranies. I don't know what brands you have where you are, but it would be Dettol wipes here.

• Like Like x 1
  6. LSyd

LSyd Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i don't think exposure to light water once will cause rust and normally use damp cotton balls to clean figures.

i've never dealt with droppings but did find what appeared to be a dead brown recluse in a G.I. Joe water moccasin turret that came in from ebay. i sprayed some RAID at the turret area, then washed it well in the bathtub. then disassembled it for another wash, drying/cleaning with cotton swabs and air dry. 10+ years on no noted damage to the toy or decals. then again i didn't notice any metal.

-